Chapter Four

Citrine

Shop Rent: $600 / month

1 month advance - $600
2 months deposit - $1,200

Subtotal: $1,800

Apartment Rent: $500 / month

1 month advance - $500
2 months deposit - $1,000

Subtotal: $1,500

Renovation Estimate Cost: $2,000 to $3,000

TOTAL: $6,300

 

Jongin stared so hard at the paper Kyungsoo showed him, almost burning holes through the list.

 

"I-- I.." Jongin stuttered.
"I know. It's a lot to pay for just the first month." Kyungsoo muttered in the littlest voice he could manage.

 

Kyungsoo sympathized with Jongin as he knows he's already been through a lot.

 

He knows that these numbers are making Jongin dizzier more than ever.

 

Jongin didn't think the apartment rent could cost that much. It is going to his first time living alone because almost half of his life, he was provided with a shelter by his former agency.

 

He wouldn't go as far as going off the grid if he didn't have a problem with his earnings from his past job.

 

It may seem like a glorious way of living for sure, but people didn't know that almost half of his earnings were going to the agency and 10% of what's supposed to be his was to pay for the taxes.

Half of what remains in his account is to be given to his family in the province.

Then he's left with almost nothing but just the amount he’s supposed to use to jumpstart a small business after retirement.

 

And for survival, of course.

 

Kyungsoo, being the self-taught businessman he is now, he kind of knew what was going on Jongin's mind the moment he caught a glimpse of his panicked expression.

He just couldn't bear to watch another man's downfall. He couldn't watch this man continue to be swallowed whole by how unfair the world is.

Kyungsoo wanted to wipe off the dejected expression on his face so bad.

 

No, Jongin. I won't let life betray you the same way it did before.

 

"I think the shop stuff cost seem fair, but the apartment--"

 

Being the soft-hearted man he is, Kyungsoo cut Jongin's sentence off by proposing a very good offer.

 

"Don't worry. I can give you a discount especially on the renovation cost.” He wriggled his thick eyebrows.

“ As those apartments aren't mine to rent, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it aside from asking a great discount from the owners." Kyungsoo continues and Jongin's face lightens up a bit and smiles.

"Thank you so much for me helping out. Really."
"Unless.." Kyungsoo suddenly remembers the idea he came up with before he showed Jongin the computations.

 

"Are you still down for one last tour?"

 

Jongin eagerly nodded like a little kid who's about to get ice cream for the first time and Kyungsoo motioned him to follow.

 

*beep*

 

Kyungsoo pushed the door open on the unfamiliar side of his office and Jongin was wondering if that door was already there the first time he went inside.

Kyungsoo offered him what looked like a pair of hotel slippers and they walked further only to see a hallway packed with doors left and right.

"Uh.. Is this your hotel or something?" Jongin gasps as he looks around in awe.
"No. This is where I live."

Jongin's mouth dropped open as he takes in the information Kyungsoo just told him.

 

I clearly picked the wrong career path. Jongin said to no one but himself.

 

Kyungsoo opens the door nearest to them and Jongin followed his soft footsteps. It really looked like a hotel room with the warm lit foyer by the entrance, bathroom on the left, and big closet on the right.

 The layout of the room is sending a very nostalgic feeling in Jongin’s heart.

He was reminded of the countless hotels he’s been in with his fellow Citrine members when they had schedules overseas.

He walked further into the room and spots a queen-sized bed placed against the center of a long beige lime-washed wall, parallel to the TV wall that has a writing table beneath.

There is also a big fluffy armchair paired with a minimalistic metal floor lamp placed on the left side of the bed which was almost always present in standard hotel rooms.

 

"Wow. If you didn't tell me earlier this is your house, I would have really thought it was a hotel."

 

Kyungsoo nods in agreement.

 

"That was the idea, to make it look like one."

He then laughs cutely, making Jongin's nose scrunch a bit.

Jongin thinks this hyung also has a cute side.

 

"Well, this is it. It's the most spacious room I can offer you for now. It doesn't have a kitchen inside but feel free to use the pantry across the hallway.” Kyungsoo explained and pointed towards the door.

“There's a small fridge there and you could also put your snacks or something in the cupboard. If ever you do want to cook, you can also use the kitchen downstairs. Oh, and also free to use the pool outside if you like ‘cause I almost never use it."

"You have a pool?"

 

Jongin doesn't know how that bit of information still surprised him.

 

"How much will be the rent?" Jongin's tried hard to mask the contemplating tone laced with his voice but Kyungsoo’s ears did not miss it.

 

"Just a $100."
"A night?! But--"
"No, no, no. A month. $100 a month."

Kyungsoo frantically waved his arms to clear up the misunderstanding. There’s no way he’ll let someone pay a $100 a day in his own home.

Especially not the guy he wants to help.

 

"Oh.." Jongin sighed in relief and touched his dramatically heaving chest.

 

Being dramatic for no reason. Tsk tsk. He scolded himself.

 

They went back to the office for a final discussion before proceeding on printing out the contract.

While Jongin is excitedly tapping his feet like a little kid, Kyungsoo's mind is busy weighing the option of telling the idol that he actually knows him and that his little sister is a not-so-crazy Moonstone.

He knows not telling Jongin immediately might bite him back in the as soon as he discovers it.

As Jongin was about to reach for the paper the printer’s about to spit, Kyungsoo suddenly spoke that sent mini shockwaves into Jongin’s brain making his hands retreat.

 

"Actually.. before you sign it, there's something you have to know."

 

Jongin's eyes widened a bit and asked what it was.

 

"Don't tell me that room is haunted? Is it? Or it's the shop?"

Dear universe, please, don’t you toy with me right now.


"It's not that.” Kyungsoo immediately dismisses it while chuckling by how innocent Jongin looked.

"I just want to let you know that I actually know who you are.”

Jongin hears, making him blink faster than usual.

“I'm a bit of a fan of your songs and my little sister's actually a moonstone.”

 

He missed to tell Jongin about the not-so-crazy Moonstone part.

“I guess I just wanted to let you know before you sign anything because I know some idols are sensitive about this kind of stuff and I don't want it to bite me in the in the near future. As a business-man, I value transparency very much. If it so happens that this information is making you feel a bit uncomfortable, I could recommend you to some people I know who also rents a few properties around here.” He proceeds explaining thoughtfully.

“But here's my business card. You think about it first and then call me after you have decided."

Kyungsoo hands him his business black business card then stood up to greet him with a respectful bow.

Expecting Jongin is about to leave from shock, he was surprised when he sees him still reach for the contract.

 

Without saying anything, Jongin clicks his pen and immediately signed the papers thoughtlessly.

"I have already thought this through.” Jongin interjects as he guessed what going on Kyungsoo’s mind.

“It's nice doing business with you." Jongin offered his hand to shake but Kyungsoo hesitates for a bit.

“But I just said to think it through first.. didn’t I?” Kyungsoo huffed and was about to open his mouth to give Jongin more lectures about reading and signing contracts.

Jongin laughed.

"Please send me the account details so I can wire you the payments as soon as possible."

 

Kyungsoo silently handed Jongin a piece of paper with the bank details he was asking for.

 

"I'm not an idol anymore, but I'm really grateful you're a fan of our songs. I'm also not uncomfortable with the fact that your sister's a moonstone. I would actually love to meet her someday."

 

The former idol explained and a breath of relief was released.

 

"So.. who is your sister’s bias?"

“She wouldn’t stop talking about Baekhyun, so I guess it’d be him.” Kyungsoo let out and awkward laugh.

Now that it’s out in the open, it felt a bit awkward talking to Jongin.

 

“How about you?”

“Me? What about me?”

“Who’s your bias?”

 

It suddenly felt like there’s a big lump stuck in his throat. The shock from Jongin's question made Kyungsoo’s eyes water a bit and his posture has obviously stiffened.

 

Nope.

He does not have a bias.

He only knew them because of Seri.

He was always asked by Seri to watch their live stages together.

He only knew Baekhyun and Kai.

He only saw them on ads.

He only casually listens to a few of their songs.

He liked Love Shot because it’s a pretty entrancing song.

He didn’t search for the “4K Kai Love Shot Focus” on Youtube when he was alone.

He didn’t watch it.

He doesn’t know about the red suit.

He doesn’t know about the red rose.

He isn’t like the cameraman who only focuses on filming Kai.

He isn’t..

 

“I—“ 

 

Kyungsoo stuttered.