Chapter Five

Citrine

"I-- I really wasn't able to watch."

 

Kyungsoo's heart was pounding a little bit faster than usual as he didn't spoke the truth.

 

"Oh.. I see. Well, that's understandable."

 

With a shrug, Jongin dismissed the topic so fast and let out a high-pitched awkward chuckle.

 

"My hotel booking will end on thursday. When should I start moving?"

"Anytime. Need some help?"

"No, it's fine. I only brought a few stuff anyway."

"Alright. Just let me know when you plan on bringing your stuff here so I can show you the way to the front door."

 

Jongin immediately moved most of his stuff to his new apartment the next day thinking he finally wouldn't feel alone anymore.
Meeting Kyungsoo made him realize how lonely his life has been after everything that happened.
He really misses talking to his former group members but they weren't as active in communicating with him unlike before.

 

Everyone went off the grid.

 

Just like how Kyungsoo felt when he first moved in Bohol, Jongin also couldn't help himself to feel so antsy as he thinks about the future he's finally going to lay for himself.

This time, it is not for anyone else, but just for his own self.

Waiting for thursday to finally arrive made them both giddy and restless for a few nights.

This will be the first time Kyungsoo's going to live with another man aside from his father and it is going to be the first time in months Jongin's finally going to live with another human being.

Both of them can't shake off the feeling of excitement.

 

I bet it will be a really fun hyung-dongsaeng relationship.

 

Or so they thought.

 

"Hi. Welcome to your new home!"
Kyungsoo expressed in a cheerful tone as he can manage and Jongin didn't fail to match the energy.
"Hello. Thank you for welcoming me!"
"I just finished cooking Gamjatang. Have you eaten lunch?"

 

Jongin's eyes crinkled into crescents and the older found it adorable. He misses his mother's home cooking and he has not tasted any Korean dish in weeks.

Well, he did try the Korean food they serve in the airport but it didn't hit anywhere close to home.

Hearing the grumble in Jongin's stomach, Kyungsoo rapidly invited him inside the house as he helped Jongin with one of his bags.

 

"Just put it down there first." Kyungsoo instructed, pointing at the big pot of plant pass the threshold.

 

As soon as Kyungsoo removed the heavy lid from the big earthen pot, Jongin looked like he was about to cry.

 

"Let's eat!" Kyungsoo ushered Jongin to grab his utensils to start eating.
"Wow, hyung. This is really delicious! Makes me miss my--"
"Hyung?"

 

Kyungsoo snapped his head up in surprise.

 

"Oh sorry. Kyungsoo-ssi. I just got used to it."

 

Jongin explained, coughing a little as the hot and spicy stew got a bit stuck in his throat. Kyungsoo briskly handed him a glass of water and Jongin gulped it in just a matter of seconds.

 

"Sorry." The younger sheepishly smiled as he apologized, wiping his mouth with a paper towel Kyungsoo handed him.
"It's okay. You can call me hyung if you want, I don't mind."

 

Feeling satisfied, Jongin blissfully chomped down his meal and Kyungsoo did too.

 

"Thank you  for the meal, hyung."
"Sure."

 

Jongin proceeded to clear the table to wash the dishes until Kyungsoo stopped him.

 

"No need. You can bring your stuff up and set up your room or something."
"But h--"
"It's really okay, go on."

 

Kyungsoo dismissed his attempt to help with a comforting smile. With a little slump on Jongin's shoulders, he proceeded to bring his bags upstairs to organize his things. He was almost finished when a soft knock echoed in his room.

 

"Need help?"
"No, no. I'm fine, hyung. I'm almost finished."

 

Jongin bragged as he proudly waved the wide throw blanket he is supposed to fold.

 

"There!"

 

With the same crinkle in his eyes, Jongin proudly presented his new chambers to his hyung.

 

"Come in."

 

Kyungsoo shyly entered the room and inspected it. He noticed that Jongin only brought a few set of clothes, shoes, sandals, and what seemed to be a huge fluffy Nordic blanket that added color to the pale walls of the room.

 

"See. I told you I don't have much stuff." Jongin pointed out with a small laugh.

"Wanna come with me to do groceries?"

 

Jongin followed Kyungsoo's steps in the supermarket looking like a lost puppy. He keeps hearing 'You need this' all over again and kept on insisting he doesn't, even when he knows he does kinda need it.

With a pout visible on his thick lips, Kyungsoo laughed and for looking like an 8 year old boy.

 

"Come on, of course I know the things you'll need."

 

As Kyungsoo handed the payment to the cashier, Jongin started putting the groceries carefully into a large carton box to be of help and Kyungsoo still can see the pout on his lips.

 

The bagger soon securely tied the box with a long string, Jongin rapidly carried the box and sprinted back to where the car was parked.

 

"Why are you going so fast?"

 

Kyungsoo followed him with quick long strides to catch up, but Jongin just huffed and started mumbling nonsense about how he just wanted to help because his hyung already paid for everything they bought.

Both slid in the car and Jongin became silent.

 

"I just really wanted to help you out, Jongin-ah."
"Fine, hyung. I really am grateful. I guess I'm just really embarassed because you've already helped me enough as soon as we met."
"Just think of it as a part of the package deal from the contract you signed."
"Okay, fine."

 

Jongin still huffed in agreement even though there was an obvious smile slowly creeping on his face. Kyungsoo knows that Jongin just doesn't want to be a burden, but he also knows that this young man needs someone to be there for him.

 

 

As soon as the two met eye-to-eye on the design and cost of renovations, Kyungsoo commanded the construction team to immediately start working on the renovation.

 

A month has passed and it looks almost ready for the opening.

 

"Wow, hyung. It's really coming into life."
"I know."

 

Kyungsoo patted the young man's back, both with a content smile slapped on their faces. The sky is slowly turning into an orange hue and Kyungsoo took it as a cue to start walking back home.

 

"I'll never get used to the beautiful sunset here."

 

Jongin sighed, still smiling, as he inhaled the soft warm breeze running through their hair.

 

"It's about dinner time. Why don't you humor me with one of the dishes you're planning to serve on your snack shop?"

 

Kyungsoo suggested as he clumsily his heel to walk back home. He's excited to try Jongin's cooking.

 

"Maybe tteokbokki? Or Jjamppong? Hmm. I think Jjamppong would be nice. I might have some ingredients left to use. But we might ha--"

 

Kyungsoo stopped babbling when he noticed Jongin's presence wasn't anywhere near him. Looking confused, he then turned around and Jongin staring back at him looking like he's seen a ghost.

 

"Jongin, wh--"
"Hyung."

 

Jongin was witlessly playing with the sand using his toes then shaking it off because the sand feels uncomfortable between his feet and sandals.


"What is it? Did something happen?"

 

Raising his thick eyebrows while waiting for a response, Kyungsoo waltzed back to where Jongin was awkwardky standing.


"Please teach me how to cook."

 

Kyungsoo's eyes almost doubled in size.

 

"What?!"
"I know, I know.."
"You mean you do not kn--"
"No, hyung. I know how to cook, okay, but I don't think it's enough to cook for the snack bar."

"But you do have some experience, do you?"
"Yes, hyung. I learned when I was filming a variety show before."
"Oh my God."

 

Kyungsoo didn't know what else to say because he didn't want to offend the younger or anything. He was just  bit too shocked with what he heard.

 

"Fine. Let's go."

 

They quickly made their way back to the house and Jongin just kept silent hiding in an invisible cloak while Kyungsoo was busy rummaging through his fridge and cupboards.

 

He eyes Jongin with a somewhat pressing stare and suprisingly enough, the younger immediately got what he meant and proceeds washing his hands thoroughly.

 

Happy birthday to you.

​​​​​​Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday, happy birthday.

Happy birthday to you.

 

Jongin sang quietly, making Kyungsoo cover his mouth to stifle his laugh.

 

Kyungsoo first taught him knife skills.

 

"Remember to always keep your knives clean."

 

The older proceeds telling Jongin to always cut using his dominant hand and use the claw technique on the other to avoid chopping his fingers off.

 

"I don't want blood on my kitchen counters, Jongin."
"Hyung.. I know how to use a knife. I swear." Jongin said with a grim look on his face and Kyungsoo stifled another laugh.

 

"Then why do you look like that?" Kyungsoo inquisitively asked with a smirk on his face.

 

"Ah hyuuung. It's just because the way you said it. I also hate blood, so don't worry, I won't chop my fingers off."

 

Jongin whined while still grimacing, making Kyungsoo playfully raise up his arms in the air, pretending to surrender with his whiny persistence.

Thankfully, Jongin finished cutting all the vegetables in an orderly manner despite his adorable muttering.

Kyungsoo pretended to check the kitchen counters for signs of blood, receiving another pout from the younger.

 

"Now time for the slimy seafood. Are you sure you can handle it?"
"Ah hyuuuuuuung."

 

Jongin whined again and this time, Kyungsoo did not make an effort to stifle his laugh anymore.

 

Aside from Jongin learning basic cooking skills, Kyungsoo also learned that he enjoys teasing the younger.

 

Kyungsoo adored the younger's whininess.

 

Jongin adored the older's playful banters.