tears

salty & sweet (baby fever)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong was right.

 

And Karina knew it too.

 

When only two out of the four girls were well enough to show up at the company's training building, Karina knew that she had over-exhausted the members. Winter and Karina sat side by side on the floor of their practice room, listening to nothing except each other's shaky breaths. 

 

The two girls sat in silence. They were scared and guilty. How could the CEO evaluate the group when half of the group was not well enough to even show themselves?

 

-

After the morning vlog, Giselle and Ningning felt nauseous. The abrupt awakening coupled with the lack of proper nutrition and sleep in order to perfect their performance had taken a toll on all of the members. 

 

At first, the two unproblematic girls did their best to continue with their days, ignoring the severe aching in their heads as they rehearsed the choreography to the best of their affected abilities. Karina, being the leader she is, was the first to notice that something was not right. 

 

"Hey, let's take a break. You two aren't looking too well." The two girls immediately knew they were being addressed. The music stopped. The room seemed to be spinning for the two. "How are you feeling?"

 

Karina was pissed at their current situation. She felt immense guilt watching the two girls struggle to keep their eyes open and their movements sharp, knowing that it was her exaggerated practice sessions that led to their current state. She hated how Winter was right all along. She was blinded by her role as leader and she neglected her other duties. Her duties not only as a leader but as a friend to these girls as well. 

 

"Fi-fine. I just need to.." Giselle immediately paused, her hands shooting up to cradle her head. Karina and Winter took note of this and took cautious steps toward her. Worry and concern were displayed across their faces. "Just need to.. calm down," Karina nodded and reached forward to gently massage the temple of the girl, hoping to ease her pain. 

 

"Let's get you some wa-"

 

A gasp was heard from behind Karina and Giselle. Karina's head instantly snapped to the scene behind her. 

 

"Ning!"

 

"Yizuo!"

 

Karina and Winter shouted at the same time, both rushing forward in an effort to catch the falling Chinese girl from her collapse.

 

They reached her just in time. Winter's hands held up the weak girl's body while Karina cradled her head. The collapsed girl was aware of her situation, yet did not have the strength to move her body. 

 

"I-I can't move. I don't have strength." Karina instantly moved to put her finger to the other's lips. Ningning was visibly scared and shaken up. "I have to get up. We have to be evaluated!" She made an attempt to sit up but was stopped by a wave of nausea. 

 

"Shhh, it's okay. Just rest. I'll get our manager." The leader reached into her back pocket to get her phone and dialed the manager quickly. 

 

"We can't perform like this. The CEO can come another day, right?" Came Giselle's weak voice. 

 

"Yes, she can. Don't worry about it, please. Just rest. The CEO can wait."

 

"No, she cannot. Manager unnie said that she only can co-"

 

"She. Can. Wait."

 

Giselle let out a breath and nodded. 

 

The leader's calm exterior may have fooled any camera or onlooker, but Winter knew her well. The oldest was slowly losing her composure. 

 

Karina tapped her foot impatiently while waiting for their manager to pick it up. Why isn't she picking up? She looked at her phone to see that she dialed a total of 5 times to no avail. She turned to the two girls laying on the ground. Ningning was still in Winter's arms.

 

Karina felt a pang in her heart when she made eye contact with Winter. She couldn't read Winter's eyes. Disappointment? Fear? Anger? She couldn't tell. When Winter didn't break away, Karina felt ashamed. Her eyes darted toward the floor. 

 

"This-this is all my fault. I'm so sorry-" Karina rushed out. Her voice was vulnerable, small. Her breaths became shallow and labored.

 

This is the second time I've ever heard her voice like this, Winter thought. She knew she had to do something to calm the other down before she too fell ill with stress and exhaustion. 

 

"Come here." Winter commanded. 


"What?"

 

"I said to come here."

 

"But, I'm dialing manager un-"


"And you can dial her from the floor." She raised her voice when the girl looked apprehensive. "Now."

 

Winter was semi-surprised when the older girl obeyed, taking a seat on the floor impossibly close to Winter. 

 

The short-haired girl freed one of her hands, laying Ningning on top of Karina's lap for support. With her free hand, she firmly interlocked her fingers with Karina. Karina flinched with wide eyes. Sensing that Karina was thinking of letting go, she challenged her with an intense gaze.

 

When nothing else seemed to get through to Karina, she knew her eyes would. 

 

Karina was on the verge of a guilt-induced panic attack. She knew they were going to be unable to perform in the evaluation.  How could I let my selfishness do this to the girls? Her mind was racing with doubt, pity, and failure. She felt as if she had failed as a leader and as a friend. 

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter