CHAPTER 4: Becoming strangers

We are so close but yet so far

 

We practiced for more than 6 hours until the choreographer finally gave us a break. But I didn’t want to stop because, even though I was tired, I felt somehow full off energy since I had renewed my hope about me and Jung ah. However, just before I started dancing again, I saw Jung ah sitting next to Nana, who was really exhausted because of the intense practice. To be honest at that moment I was really proud of the girls since they were giving their all to be ready for the performance and never complained despite the exhaustion.

So I smiled at them and started approaching the girls, thinking that it was the perfect opportunity to start talking with Jung ah and smooth down the tension that we had between us. But then I noticed that Kim Hyun was sitting all by himself in a corner of the studio. So, even when I really wanted to sit with Jung ah, I couldn’t leave our guest alone, after all I needed for him to feel comfortable around us so the performance could go smoothly. Therefore, I changed my direction and started walking towards him and saluted him excitedly.

“Hi Nona! Is everything all right?” he said, stuttering a little bit. “Well…I was just wondering if you wanted some company since you are here all alone” I smiled widely, showing my dimples and making him blush intensely.

“It will be an honor Nona, please take a sit” he said standing up like a real gentleman. “Thanks” I said while sitting next to him, then in order to break the ice I started asking: “Why are you alone when all the girls are sitting over there?, don’t tell me you are scare of us?” then I looked at the girls who were obviously trying to catch our conversation. Then I saw a huge smirk on their faces and guessed that they really misunderstood my reaction from before. So I sighed thinking that trying to convince them that I didn’t like Kim Hyun was going to be almost like an impossible mission. But just before I turned around to look at Kim Hyun, I saw Jung ah with a pissed off look on her face, which made me smile because just the thought of her being jealous for me made me really happy.

Then Kim Hyun interrupted my thought saying: “Nona, are you alright? You are spacing out again” Because of this I started blushing again and I only managed to say: “Sorry… I guess that I tend to doze off really often”. Then he started laughing and said: “Yeah, I kind of notice it when you were on strong heart” and he laughed even harder making my face look as red as a tomato. “Yah!” I yelled at him and hit playfully his arm “Don’t remain me that moment, it was really embarrassing”

So he stopped laughing and with a serious tone he said: “Don’t worry Nona even then you looked really beautiful” then he looked at me in the eyes and started blushing, but before everything tuned uncomfortable, the choreographer started calling us.

“Wow that was really close” I said in my mind and started walking towards the choreographer not looking at Kim Hyun to avoid any awkward moments. When we gathered around I sensed someone watching me with a mad face, so thinking that it might be Jung ah I turned around and for my surprise I saw Nana, who immediately looked away. So I assumed that maybe she liked him and was quite upset since I, an old lady, was getting close to him. Therefore I decided to maintain a little bit my distance… a strategy that only last a minute since the choreographer told Nana, Kim Hyun and I to start practicing our solo dance.   

When we started dancing I could feel how tense Nana and Kim Hyun were because, even when the steps weren’t as hot as the rub I did with Jung ah, the dance involved a little bit of skinship and I assumed that they were a little bit shy about it.

We then started practicing my steps with Kim Hyun and although at the beginning it was kind of awkward, he managed to follow the steps smoothly. “Maybe talking to him and making feel comfortable really helped” I told myself. But then I saw how uncomfortable Nana and Kim Hyun were and since they were having so much trouble with their steps I decided to intervene.

I told him to practice with me and relax a little bit since I was going to play Nana’s part. I thought him how to grab her and pretend to kiss her, and despite the fact that at the beginning he was really nervous, he managed to followed my instructions and loosen up more. Then I turned my attention to Nana, helping her the same way I did with Kim Hyun. So I started to play his role and grabbed Nana’s waist and pulled her closer to me, then I indicated her to grab my neck and lean her head forward to me, at that moment she was so tense that her movements looked like a robot.

Then I pulled her a little bit closer, we were inches from each other making me realized that her face turned brightly red; something that I found really cute since I assumed that she wasn’t used to be this close to anyone so I poked her cheeks and kissed her forehead so she could relax but for me surprise she looked at me with such a beautiful eyes, I mean there was something in her look that I cannot even start to describe. I gulped since her eyes were fixed on me, making me blush so I turned my head and looked away to calm myself. And once I erased her face of my mind I started teasing her in order for her to relax. However at that moment I felt like someone was staring at us and as I looked over to where the girls were I saw Jung ah, who was looking at us with a really angry face but as soon as she noticed that I was looking at her, she immediately turn around and continued practicing.

Seeing her act like that only made me more confused, “was she really jealous? For how long has she been staring at us? Is she…” “Yah!” I heard someone screaming cutting off my thoughts. And when I turn around to see what was going on I noticed that both, Nana and Kim Hyun, were teasing each other. And, since they were more comfortable I let them practice with each other. It was impressive how they managed to control their shyness, even in a short amount of time; they were rocking their part and even stayed in the kissing position for a longer time without blushing. And just before I could compliment them I heard the girls screaming like crazy. “Wow Unnie you really look good together” E-young said, making Nana and Kim Hyun blush and with that all the other girls started teasing them as well.

But then I saw Jung ah leave the room with a pissed off look on her face, and as usual my body followed her to see if she was alright. “Jung!” I yelled at her making her stop “Are you alright?” I said catching my breath after running after her. “I’m fine” she said without looking at me, it was obvious that she was upset but I had no clue why she was acting like that. “But you left the room out of the sudden, are you sure you….” but before I could finish my sentence she turned around and answer with the cold tone I hated to hear: “I’m fine; I’m just not feeling really well so I’m going home... I will call the manager once I get to my house don’t worry alright”.

And before I could respond she dashed off once again, leaving me confused and angry by the fact that she didn’t care that I was really worry about her. It made me frustrated that she acted like that with me, I had done anything wrong but she continued to act like a b… bad person towards me and that made me really angry, sad and helpless.

Tears started falling once again; I couldn’t believe how everything was ending. One day we were closer than sisters and the next day we were nothing but strangers. Why was she acting like she didn’t know me? Why didn’t she let me help her or at least tell me what made her mad? Was our relationship only and illusion? Was I annoying her all this time? Was I really nothing to her?...

I guess that it took only one stupid question for me to realize that our friendships meant nothing for her. And with a bitter smile, I tried to go back to the practice room. But now I had the resolution to move on and do not look back.