I miss you, my star ~

star

There was something different about the night in the forest than it was in the city. There were no sounds but leaves dancing in the breeze as the stars painted the sky amidst the tiny clouds that obscured the moon.

In front of the lake, illuminated by the stars’ reflection, Wonwoo unfolded his padded camping chair. As he sat down, he held a zero coke with one hand and slipped the other into his jacket pocket with the other. Amidst the beautiful scene, he was filled with sadness instead of being mesmerized by it.

 

Wonwoo loved spending time alone, being in his safe space, and enjoying little things by himself. There was never a dull moment for him. In contrast, he enjoyed reading good books, watching underrated crime thriller series, playing exciting games, and trying new thrilling activities whenever he had the opportunity. He barely felt lonely with all his distractions, pampering him with joy and the hugs received from his mother.

 

He wished his mother were next to him at the moment. He had been missing her quite a bit lately. In the past, he was eager to have free time after a hectic schedule, due to the fact that he would always call or visit his mother as soon as he had some free time.

 

Her warm embrace was the only thing he longed for, something he wished he had given her more often while showering her with love. If he could turn back in time, he would have been more direct with her about how much he loved and was grateful for her, how she was and is his guiding light. He never minded his way of conveying his feelings within the subtext; however, he would have been more direct with her about how important she was and still is to him.

He felt guilty for not communicating his feelings more often, which made him seem distant and cold. He wondered why he had adopted his father’s characteristics, despite spending more time with his mother during his childhood. It wasn’t a conscious decision, but something that came naturally to him over the years. He could find solace in being just like his father, but he was scared that his mother wouldn’t have comprehended the depth of his affections. This thought pierced through his heart ever since she left.

 

He was breaking with difficulty to mask it, even Dino surprised him with facts belonging to one of his sides that he had never shared with s. Upon losing his mother, he experienced such loneliness that it caught him off guard. It had been so lonely for him, and he was unable to deal with it or express it.

 

The fragility of Wonwoo’s sad side grew harder to hide, causing him to break down. He swallowed a sip of zero-coke in an attempt to soothe his dry throat. Eventually, as tears ran down his cheeks, his lips quivered in a trembling pout.

“Wonwoo-ya,” He heard Mingyu’s gentle voice approaching. He sniffeled, taking his hand out of his pocket to wipe away his tears. He glanced downwards upon feeling Mingyu’s presence. The pal unfolded his chair and sat down soundlessly beside him.

“Can’t sleep again?” he responded to his friend with a nod. Mingyu lowered his head, hoping he would meet Wonwoo’s eyes. “You have been quiet since we hiked this morning,”

“I’m always quiet,” Wonwoo tried to mask his sadness with a savageness that Mingyu didn’t fall for. “Look at me, Wonwoo-ya. What’s wrong?”

Wonwoo’s glassy eyes locked with worried Mingyus’. Wonwoo didn’t want to spoil the enjoyment of his friend’s vacation even though it wasn’t the first time Mingyu had seen this side of him; unlike the rest of s, who had never seen him cry except when Woozi dedicated their song “Circles” to him.

Mingyu tenderly caressed his slightly damp hand with his thumb. “Let’s talk it out; I’m here; it’s okay.” Wonwoo diverted their gaze from the warm eye contact to their hands. He bit his still-trembling lip before speaking.

“I miss my mom extra today.” He had difficulty forming words, his voice choked with emotion as tears streamed down his face. His sniffs and sobs escaped from within him, intensifying the already overwhelming sadness he was experiencing.

Mingyu didn’t utter a word, instead he switched his hands, using his right one to hold his friend’s hand, while the left one was used to secure Wonwoo’s shivering shoulders. He knew that what his friend needed wasn’t soothing words as much as allowing him to grief.

His friend didn’t have much time to mourn with his family due to their tight schedule; the latter had to suppress his feelings and focus on their work, so as not to affect their group. Mingyu hated the fact that his and Scoups’ protests against the management didn’t help with this sensitive matter. So all he could do for his friend was stay close to him.

Wonwoo hugged him back, leaning his forehead against Mingyu’s broad shoulder and crying harder. Mingyu gently rubbed his friend’s back to provide comfort, and he was relieved that his friend at least had allowed him into his personal space, something that had been impossible before.

“She heard your prayer earlier, Wonwoo-ya. She misses you too and is still so proud of you.” Mingyu hoped his words would reassure his friend.

Wonwoo said shakingly, “I wonder if she knows how much I love her…. I w-wish I had spent more time with her, telling her that I love her more. I didn’t get to t-tell her Thank you Mingyu-ah. Why was I so cruel?”

Mingyu’s threatening tears fell upon hearing his friends’ words. “Never think like that again. I’m sure she knows how much you loved and still love her. You may not have said it, but she undoubtedly knows how much you appreciate her for raising you and loving you. You were never unkind, Wonwoo-ya; It’s just your own special way of showing love.”

Wonwoos’s insecurities were fading by his friends’ comforting words, playing a role in bringing a sense of consolation to him. Mingyu nudged him lightly and said, “Look, she must be the brightest star in the sky.”

Wonwoo tilted his head so that the back of it came to rest against his friend’s shoulder. His pal pointed up toward a shining star, but he couldn’t make out what it was with his poor eyesight. He squinted for a better look, to no avail. “I don’t have my glasses, but I can feel it. You are right.”

“Thank you for raising me well. As long as I live, I will always strive to make you proud and take care of our family, my dearest brightest star.” He whispered to his mom through the sky. After hugging for a while, they had to let go due to their sore arms. Mingyu’s cheek rested lightly on top of their friend’s head as they stared at the beautifully painted scene.

“You would make a good drawing out of this,” Wonwoo commented. Mingyu chuckled over the sudden change. “It’s been a while since I last drew, I doubt that.”

“What do you mean? Give it a shot. I miss your art!”

“Ask Myungho; he will do it much better.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes, hearing his friend’s response.

“First, Myungho isn’t here. Second, he doesn’t know where the brightest star is, so you better draw it for me well.” Wonwoo’s teasing made his friend laugh. “Ya! This is literally out of a romance book. Stay with me?” Mingyu said their inside joke between his giggles.

Wonwoo laughed harder, “Tell yourself. I should have taken a picture of you pointing at the sky. That was a bit cringe, but creative. It helped too.”

Mingyu dug into his pocket and brought out some napkins to help wipe away the tears. They took care of their tearful faces and lost themselves the silence for a while.

“Shall we take a walk? It’s getting chilly.”

They rose to their feet, rubbing their hands together and trying to stay warm by tucking them in the pockets of their jackets. As they wandered, mesmerized by the glorious night, the gentle wind caressed their cheeks.

Wonwoo glanced sideways at his pal, pondering if the stillness of their walks was equally gratifying for them both. Compared to his friend’s energetic sports games and social hangouts, it seemed like the least he would do. Days go by and they Mingyu , the loudest extrovertconfused everyone with his slightest changes. Despite his busy schedule, he would find time to subtly invade Wonwoo’s bubble, while also hitting the gym and doing his fun activities.

Funny how that started with a simple meal prepared for his roommate. After getting settled in their new dorm room, He noticed his friend with a frown on his face, leaning against the kitchen table in their shared area and scrolling through his phone. Wonwoo passed him to the counter, with no cheerful welcome recieved like he normally would. He remember grabbing two instant ramen for himself before turning to his bothered friend.

“Do you want some?” Mingyu looked up, tilting his head in thought. “I wanted to order some bibimmyeon but apparently nothing is working for me today,” He clicked his tongue, obviously annoyed, which was a rare scene to see.

His friend was always so positive to the point it annoyed their fellow members, so seeing him distressed was a new side of Mingyu for Wonwoo to handle. Away from work-related gatherings, Wonwoo rarely had casual or deep talk except with Myungho during their tea ceremonies. So he found himself stuck in a dilemma - should he leave his friend the same privacy he gives himself, or make himself available to listen if his roommate wished to open up?

“I can make it for you,” His friends’ eyes widened in surprise, seeing him cooking for the first time anything besides instant noodles. Upon receiving no response from his shocked friend, he continued, “I will give it a shot. Rest and I will call you when I finish.”

“No, I will stay with you.” His roommate watched him quietly with attention until he cooked the meal for them. Mingyu sat at the table, and their cokes as his friend placed the carved bibimmyeon. What started off as a casual dinner soon turned into a heart-to-heart. Mingyu opened up to his friend about his anxieties and stress, and by the end of their conversation, was comforted and guided.

It wasn’t long before Wonwoo found himself eating proper, healthy meals prepared by his friend, or Mingyu stealing his popcorn next to him on the couch, trying to catch what his friend was watching. Sometimes he would join Wonwoo’s Han River walks while listening to nice music. Their late-night conversations were characterized by spontaneity and expressing what was on their minds without conflict.

Despite being polar opposites, it didn’t take long for them to become best friends. Years back, Wonwoo could have never imagined that he would one day be thankful for their strong bond. It was strange to see him not alone anymore. With Mingyu by his side, his loneliness had been taken away.

“I’m hungry. Why don’t we go to the food area?” Mingyu brought him to reality. He gave his mate a nod and followed as Mingyu hurriedly walked away, the fabric of his jacket producing a squeaking noise.

Seated at the wooden dining table across the kitchen, Wonwoo could only make out his friend’s silhouette through the opened fridge door. He leaned against the tabe’s rusty surface while propping up his face with one of his hands, watching his friend cook for them.

It took a few minutes before another thought struck him; he never really thanked Mingyu. Mingyu always made sure Wonwoo was involved in their activities, without ever applying any pressure on him. Whether it was practice sessions, schedules, or taking his time while eating, Mingyu would patiently wait for him every time. Wonwoo’s challenge to himself was to express himself without feeling awkward or self-conscious. Yet every time, he would be met with understanding and support instead of ridicule or mockery from his friends, especially Mingyu.

Scenes that would be engraved in his heart were how his best friend never left his side during his mother’s last days and funeral like he was his real brother. He couldn’t recall every detail about that time, but he had a clear memory of his best friend taking care of all the visitors who had come to honor his late mother until the last one left.

Every time his strength was about to give out, his friend would rush to him in support. While trying to comfort his little brother, who was clinging to him and weeping softly, his bestfriend’s hand kept gently his back to bring some relief from the pain he felt. Mingyu always shed tears with him, as if it was her own parent.

‘What would have happened to me without him?’ He wondered.

His best friend placed a plate in front of him and the clicking sound of chopsticks hitting the table was a sign for him to give his attention back. “It smells good,” Wonwoo complimented the cooked Kimchi dumpling stew and ramen.

“Thank youu~ beer for me and another zero-coke for you” He bent down to get the beverages out of the tiny drinks fridge before setting across him with a warm smile. Wonwoo’s lips unconsciously mirrored his smile. They were captivated by how delicious the food was like it was their first meal of the day. Mingyu’s muffled giggles with his full cheeks made Wonwoo laugh. “What’s up?”

His friend swallowed, trying to respond. “It’s just so funny how you eat in tiny, look how much I ate compared to you,” he teased Wonwoo, mimicking his small bite.

“I was drinking with Scoups and Jeonghan earlier, and they pointed out how we are 180 degrees different! Scoups doesn’t understand how we can be best friends then drunk Jeonghan started fighting with him cause he believed puppies are cats’ best friends, Are we their pets?” Mingyu shared the fun incident, making them laugh again.

“Typical Jeonghan” Wonwoo chuckled. “They are right though, even we found it weird at first.”

“I didn’t. It made sense to me, we bonded naturally,” his long-haired friend protested, surprising Wonwoo.

“Really?” his roommate nodded. “Seriously though, am I not too boring to you? Is eating like this better than singing your lungs out with Scoups right now?”

“What do you mean, Wonwoo-ya?” Mingyu whined. He placed his hand against his heart, faking a breakdown. “I’m hurt,”

Wonwoo chuckled at the dramatic response. “Zero out of ten for your dramatic response, but I’m glad I guess”

With a cheeky wink and a laugh, Mingyu asked him after. “Why are you saying this out of a sudden though? Do you find it weird?”

Shaking his head in response. “Truthfully, at first, I wondered if you hit your head or something… don’t pout, I’m joking. I was a bit surprised at first, but it naturally made sense and I really enjoy your company.”

Mingyu let out a sigh of relief, “Thank god you aren’t tired of me. I really love our friendship hyung”

“Silly,” Wonwoo scolded playfully while his dark eyes locked with the hazel ones from across him. “Mingyu, I never had a chance to thank you.”

Out of habit, his friend tilted his head in confusion. “About what?”

“Everything. Your selfless act of kindness, comfort, and care is something I’m so grateful for. You have been my pillar of strength, especially during difficult times. Even though I may not show it enough, please know that having you in my life has made me a better person.”

Mingyu was deeply moved by Wonwoo’s speech and felt his lips quivering. His eyes welled up with tears as emotion overwhelmed him. “When you told me my mom was proud of me, it made me reflect and realize that she is likely also thankful to you for taking care of both her and me.”

Both of them were overcome with emotion as Mingyu reached out to Wonwoo’s hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze while fighting back tears. “I really love your mother hyung,” with a shuddered breath, he continued. “No need to thank me. You do the same for me. I… I know-now that it’s really hard for you to say this, that’s why I’m so touched and thankful.”

“Wonwoo-ya, you are literally my anxiety warrior. Our members think I’m always positive, but they don’t know where my positivity comes from. I’ve never said this out loud, but when I’m tired from a busy schedule or anxious about something, I always gain positive energy from your calmness and wise words. I never felt bored or pressured being your best friend, so don’t let any dumb thoughts get into your head when you need me.”

Their tears were mixed with reassuring smiles at that point. Wonwoo gently removed his hand from Mingyu’s grip and got up from his chair. Walking over to him, he enveloped Mingyu in a comforting hug.

“Mingyu-ah. Thank you for the love that doesn’t make me feel lonely.”

.

.

.

.

Sometime in the morning, Wonwoo’s vibrating phone woke him up. His index finger lazily found its way to the screen, sliding right before luckily pressing on the speaker without him opening his eyes.

“Wonwoo,” he hummed, still half asleep.

 

“Are you still asleep?” Wonwoo started opening his eyes, trying to process his surroundings.

 

“Not anymore. Where are you this early?” he replied lazily replied.

 

“I had an unplanned schedule. You can rest more. Scoups fought with the company and got us three days off.” Mingyu said. He opened his eyes halfway with his phone centimeters away from his face and made sure what his friend said was true. His calendar was cleared of forgotten schedule and Scoups left a message on their group chat.

At the sight of the date, 6th April, his lips shaped into an “O”. He realized why there was such an unsual change. Softly he said to himself, ‘It’s been a year, my shining star’.

 

“It isn’t fair that you are working on your birthday, though. Would it take long?”

 

“It’s okay, I’m not really sure,” Mingyu answered with evident sadness.

 

“Happy birthday, Mingyu-ah. Let’s celebrate when you get back with the members,” Mingyu didn’t respond for a while.

“We can celebrate on another day, Just… rest today” His friends were apprehensive and tense when the sensitive topic was brought up. Wonwoo heaved a deep sigh and closed his eyes momentarily.

“Mingyu, I will be okay. Enjoy your birthday with your loved ones on the day you were born. I’m sure this is what my mother wants,” He reassured his friend.

“But seriously hyung. If they throw me a surprise party and—” Mingyu was cut again by his roommate.

“Stop worrying, I won’t miss your birthday. Today is your day to enjoy, and I will be there in whatever plan whether you like it or not.” hearing a grumpy noise from the other side, his stern calm voice turned soft. “Happy birthday, Mingyu-ah”

“Thank youu~”

After hanging up, Wonwoo tried to rub the tiredness off his face. His body with aching from his latest practice. He grabbed the black round glasses recommended by his friend next to his pillow to save his eyes before checking his to-do list.

  • Having breakfast with the family
  • Visiting his mother
  • Seul’s vet appointment with Bohyuk
  • Photoshoot
  • Practice + Recording
  • Mingyu’s gift + birthday

 

In an attempt to throw out the idea of hugging his pillow and crying, he forced his feet to touch the ground and stood up. His hand grasped the silver lever handle, pushing it down and opening the room door. As he turned his head to inspect his desk, something strange caught his attention. Taken aback, he staggered back a few steps as tears welled up in his eyes along with a gasp leaving his mouth.

Wonwoo’s gaming keyboard was accompanied by a special painting he requested months ago. He carefully ran his fingers across the vivid and memorable scene captured on the canvas. The artwork featured a forest, mountain ranges, and a lake that sparkled in the light. There was also one bright star in the sky directly above Wonwoo, shining its luminous rays down upon him.

Without thinking, he turned his chair around for him to sit and try to make sense of the overwhelming emotions inside of him. He paused for a moment to take it all in and admire the artwork before him, done by his favorite artist - it was his most cherished piece.

“Morning Wonwoo, The artist in me still shines, right? As a result of a sudden schedule conflict, I was unable to show it to your mother myself. Feel free to brag about it for me if I couldn’t make it on time to the visit! I will call you later.”

With the extra message written on the white sticky note on his desktop, it was confirmed that the heavens sealed an angelic contract with Mingyu.