chapter 2

差距2永恒

I didn't give any response until we got off the car. Khun Sam, who wants to clear up why I became so quiet, follows closely behind me. When I stop walking, she crashes into me so hard that she bounces backward.

"Oops, Khun Sam. Are you hurt ka?"

I turn around to ask in panic; my head also hurts from our crash. The sweet-faced lady stares at me and continues on with our talk earlier, not wanting the topic to change.

"Why did tua become silent? I proposed to you!"

"What must Mon say in response?"

"Say what's on your mind. Or if tua don't want to answer, at least show how elated tua are. I proposed to you; I did not ask you out to dinner at the night market."

"Must Mon hold a pompom too?"

"Why does everyone want to hold a pompom today? Everyone wants to copy me." Khun Sam makes a long face. I chuckle as she makes a cute puffy-cheeks face and can't help but reach over to pull her cheeks.

"So cute."

"Don't change the topic. Will you marry me?"

"Let Mon think about it first kha."

"Think about it?" The sweet-faced lady looks so shocked, it stuns me. "Don't tua have any thoughts of wanting to get married to me? I have always thought that if I proposed, tua would be elated and sing. The diligent farmers are the backbone of our nation~~"

"Such an old song. I have to think about it first. There are many factors that make Mon hesitate."

"Don't you believe in my love?"

"Mon believes you with all my heart, but... Mon still thinks about Khun Sam's grandmother. Even though your grandmother has passed away, the promise still stands. Mon does not want to break a promise."

My explanation about her grandmother made Khun Sam go quiet. She probably worries about this too, yet she proposed to me anyway.

"And Mon knows that Khun Sam proposed because Khun Sam is afraid that Mon would feel bad not getting to have a wedding ceremony like others."

"Isn't that what every woman dreams of?"

"For Mon, being with Khun Sam gives me enough happiness kha."

"Does that mean you won't marry me?"

"It means, let me think about it first. Can't Khun Sam give me some time?"

She chews the inside of her cheeks a bit and nods.

"Ok. It's not like tua don't have a reason. Tua are a noble person. Tua want to keep a promise." She says agreeably and walks over to hug me. We hug and let the smell of each other comfort both of us. Khun Sam always smells nice. The soft perfume fragrance that comes from her comforts me as much as the nice smell of my body comforts her. "But there must be a deadline. When will you give me an answer?"

"Can you give Mon a week ka?"

"Three days."

"Not enough."

"Three days, deal."

She is still Khun Sam, a businesswoman who has a plan and a deadline for everything, including our relationship. I don't want to argue anymore, so agree to the deal and go on to take a bath and go to bed. For me, marriage is a big deal because it comes with a lot of formalities. It also involves talking to my family. I am not sure whether they would give us their blessings. Being in a relationship with a woman already gave them a big shock, so have to think about this carefully. A ceremony means it is no longer about only two people.

I cannot make up my mind, so I go shopping with Yuki, P Tee's girlfriend, who's in the same situation as I am; the girlfriend of one of the "gossip about E Yoi" gang's members. As we're in the same situation, we understand and can consult with each other better than when we talk to the older members (Phi Phi) of the gang. This topic is no different.

"Congratulation."

I started the conversation, knowing that P Tee would propose to Yuki. Yuki turns around from selecting some clothes on the rack to give me a confused look.

"About what?"

"Getting married."

"Who's getting married?"

"You"

"Are you insane? Where did you hear that from?"

"From P Tee"

The hanger in her hand dropped to the ground as she was in complete shock. I knew immediately that she didn't know and wanted to bite my tongue until it bled. Damned. Was it supposed to be a surprise? Yuki doesn't know about it, but I let slip everything. I want to die and bury myself under the ground. Wah.

"Really? Is that true?"

"erm." I'm lost for words; I can't take it back but also do not know how much I could say. "This is not good. I let it slip. I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret."

Yuki's tears flows down her cheeks. I can't tell whether she's happy or sad to hear about this. I had to hurriedly put the hanger back in place and drag her out of there, then use the tissue I have to wipe her tears for her.

"I'm sorry. Wah. What should I do? Mon didn't know it was supposed to be a surprise. Are you happy or sad?"

"Happy... (sob)"

Yuki is normally a sensitive person.

She would call to cry and bicker over the phone whenever she quarreled with P Tee. So now, when she's overwhelmed with happiness, she turns into this crying machine in the middle of the mall, among the crowd of people watching, like I am cursing her mom and dad.

"Please don't cry. I didn't know that you didn't know. P Tee will kill me. Can you pretend to not know about it? Pretend didn't say anything?"

"Sure. Yuki won't say anything. But are you sure P Tee will propose to me?"

"That's what she said when we met for a meal."

"The day Yuki didn't join? No wonder she didn't invite me. She went to tell this to everyone?If she wants to get married, why tell others before telling me?"

"She must have wanted to surprise you, but I ruined it. I'm the one who should be crying. Now I'm the one who's about to cry. Yuki laughs when she sees that my tears are about to fall and wipes them off for me.

"Hush, hush, don't cry. I promise I will not tell p Tee and will act like I didn't know about it. It's good that you told me. If I didn't know, I might get a heart attack when she proposes. Knowing this, I can prepare for it. Did she say when she will propose?"

"No. Something came up first!

"What?"

"Well... It was nothing big." I let out a dry smile. How can I tell her that P Jim completely tore down P Tee's confidence to propose that day? "Let's just say that I'm happy for you."

"I want a good love like Mon and Khun Sam. Actually, there's no need to get married. Just P Tee's sincerity is enough. I was too afraid to have any expectations."

"In fact, Khun Sam just proposed to me after P Tee brought up the topic too." I tell her my story as I walk beside her. Yuki seems more excited than when she knew she would be asked for her hand in marriage.

"Really? Congratulation."

"Don't congratulate me yet. I haven't given my reply."

"Why didn't you? Khun Sam proposed! Being an ice queen, it must have taken a lot of courage to propose."

"Do you think so?"

"Yes. Mon didn't say yes?"

"I said, let me think about it."

"She must be crying inside now. The person she really loves and with whom she has been through a lot together-the one she thinks would be elated and say yes-instead asks for time to think about it. Why think about it when your love life is so good?"

"There are many factors. Marriage is not just about two people. There are also Mon's parents. Mon doesn't know how they'd take it. I'm already very thankful that they let us be together."

"They won't be against it. Have you tried talking to them about it?"

"I plan to, but I'm still nervous about it. Khun Sam gave me three days. One is already gone due to my hesitation, hurrr." I sign. As I think about my issue, both Yuki's and my phones ring at the same time. When we look at the callers, we laugh at each other. Because it so happens that P Tee calls Yuki and Khun Sam calls me at the same time. We turn away from each other and answer our calls.

"Kha, Khun Sam."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at the mall with Yuki."

"What time will you come back? I'll pick you up."

"You don't have to do that. I don't want to bother you."

"I'm going,"

"I can't stop you, can I? I'll leave in a little while."

"Which mall?"

"The one in the Ladprao area."

"Ok. I'll pick you up in a bit. "I'll call you when I get there."

"You've got to have it your way, huh?"

"I miss you."

When she said that, I, who was pretending to complain, twisted with shyness. Though three years have passed since we've been together, she always makes it feel like the first day... The first day, which was filled with excitement when I met her, I still feel that way every day.

"Ok kha. Let me know when you get here. I'll go wait in front of the mall, so I can jump into the car."

"I miss you."

"Roger that kha."

"I miss you."

She must want the same response back..

"I miss you too kha."

"OK"

That's what she wants to hear.

Yuki hangs up from P Tee the same time I hang up from Khun Sam and looks at me with a guilty look on her face.

"I have to go. P Tee is waiting for me in front of the mall"

"That's ok. Khun Sam is coming too. I will walk out with you."

"I'm sorry that I have to leave you alone"

"Don't say that" I laugh at how considerate she is being and walk her to her meeting point. Less than five minutes after we get there, a group of people in white t- shirts suddenly rush over to surround us. Yuki and I stared at each other like we're being haunted by a ghost as the group of people surrounded us, looking like they were about to attack us. We stayed close to each other.

"W.. what's going on ka?"

Then, they all shout at the same time, like a university cheering squad. Everyone starts to pull out their phones
to take photos and videos. Yuki and I look at each other in panic and put our hands on our chests. Then, things start to become clear as the person who started the cheer hands out paper cards, which are slowly flipped one by one to show.
Will you marry me?

At this point, I realize what's happening and turn around to smile at Yuki, who still looks confused but is starting to understand the situation. Not long after that, the star of the show makes an appearance. P Tee pushes through the crowd and walks over to Yuki. Me, knowing my place, slowly steps back and pulls out my phone to take a video.

"Marry me?"

A cheer starts to erupt among the crowd. Say yes. Say yes. Say yes. Even I can't help but ioin in on the cheer. My heart pounds with joy and excitement. Yuki nods and hugs P Tee before they move away from each other, and P Tee brings out a ring and puts it on Yuki's left ring finger.

A group of strangers started to scream and clap to congratulate the couple. My tears are flowing as I am touched by this heartwarming event. While I'm engaged with what's happening, someone puts a hand on my shoulder. An emotionless face looks coldly towards P Tee.

"Khun Sam, you got here so fast.!

"I saw a crowd with you in the middle of it. I was looking at what was going on."

"Ah, and where did you park?"

"On the curb with the emergency light on." "P Tee is so romantic." I tell her while wiping away tears of happiness that came from seeing the movie-like proposal scene. "Yuki must be very happy. Seeing someone get into a committed relationship is so overwhelming."

"Yes, very O."

"Very OK?"

"OVER"

"Khun Sam."

That's all she says before she drags me from the crowd to get into her car and drives off immediately, looking angry. I look at her, getting all mad, and wonder what's gotten into her.

"Khun Sam is not happy for P Tee? She just proposed."

"I'm happy for her. But I am more annoyed. Why was the proposal so grand?"

"She wants to show her love. Even as an observer, I was overwhelmed."

"Does Tua like something like that?"

"I don't really like it. But it's just like a movie scene. Seeing someone close to me get to be in it, I feel excited for her."

Khun Sam remains silent. So I keep my mouth shut and glare at her without knowing what she's feeling. I reach over to rub her arm, trying to uplift her mood, still not knowing what I did wrong.

"What's the matter? Why do you look so moody?"

"I'm mad"

"Mad at what?"

The sweet-faced lady holds the steering wheel tightly, stares straight ahead, and speaks with a serious voice.

"If Tee goes all out like that, what's left for me to do?"

"Maybe I need to fast rope from a helicopter to propose to you. Damned. She does not think about me at all. And I am not someone who can lose. There's no need to even talk about losing to her. My girlfriend, to whom I proposed, didn't even say she would marry me. I feel like a loser"

This is why she is mad. I look at the person who's grumbling and feel that it's so adorable. So, I look out the window, then mention softly and plainly.

"I already said that Khun Sam doesn't need to do anything."

"Mon will marry you anyway."

Screech!

My face almost hit the console as Khun Sam pulled the car to a quick stop on the side of the road after giving the light signal. It was lucky that the seatbelt saved my life. The sweet-faced lady, who looked upset at first, turns to ask me as if she didn't hear what I just said.

"What did you just say?"

"I already said it."

"Say it again."

"Mon will marry you anyway.

"Again."

"Mon will marry you no matter what!"

"Again."

"Mon will marry Khun Sam."

Khun Sam's tears fall down like the Niagara Falls. I look at her, both in shock and wanting to laugh, while hurriedly wiping off her tears.

"What's this ka? Why do you suddenly cry?"

"Tua finally say yes."

"It's not even three days yet. I'm so easy."

"Tua agree to marry me!"