chapter 1

差距2永恒

Life is too short to love you once, I promise I will look for you in the next life".

William Shakespeare

The sound of the waves crashing on the beach was heard in Khun Sam's luxury beachside villa. The sunlight streaming in through the window made me slowly open my eyelids. After waking up, I didn't see the person sleeping next to me. I looked at the clock and was surprised to see that it was still 6 in the morning. Yesterday that sweet looking lady said she came here to rest and just slept all day and all night without going anywhere, wouldn't leave the bed and stayed by my side.

But, where is she?

I got out of bed sleepily and only wore a long white shirt as my pajamas. When I opened the door, I could smell food cooking downstairs in the kitchen. I frowned slightly and slowly tiptoed down and saw Khun Sam busy in the kitchen, wearing an apron. She looks busy with something. She must have been cooking food, of course, which was obviously done in the kitchen. But this was surprising because the person cooking was the wealthy Mhom Luang, who hadn't touched anything in the kitchen since I'd known her.

"What are you doing?"

I asked despite already seeing what happened. Khun Sam turned around with a sullen face and answered.

"I'm in the kitchen, what else can I do
besides cooking?"

"That's why I asked. Usually that's my job".

"I want to try to cook breakfast for you, but why is it so difficult? Harder than negotiating the price of land in Sukhumvit for a new office"

Her brows furrowed tightly together as she turned off the stove. I walk over to see her possibly award- winning work, and I chuckle at her Thai scrambled eggs that look like Oreo cookies. Not only charcoal, the egg looks black and also withered.

"I'm incompetent"

"You can't ask a dog to climb a tree like a monkey. You're good at work, so focus on work. I'll take care of the household chores"

"Why do you have to call me a dog?"

"I was just comparing!"

"No need to cook anymore, just buy if you want to eat"

She was about to throw the scrambled eggs in the trash but I grabbed her wrist before shaking my head slowly.

"Don't do that. Khun Sam cooked it for me, how could I not taste it?"

"It looks inedible"

"Hasn't Khun Sam eaten something that looked inedible before?"

I raised my eyebrows teasingly. This cutie looks at me and slowly smiles,
knowing the ambiguous meaning.

"That's right, I've eaten it all"

"So, this egg is mine. I'll eat it with rice, it should be good"

She finally let me eat the eggs she just scrambled. Even though she said she would throw it away at first, once she saw that I actually intended to eat it, she sat down with her chin resting on her hand nervously waiting to see my reaction. The feeling of someone intently doing something for the first time and nervously waiting for the result. I ate smiling and complimenting her while looking at her like someone in love.

"It's delicious"

"I know you talk nonsense"

The rice in my mouth sprayed straight into her face. Khun Sam's eyes were tightly shut as she slowly brushed the rice from her face one by one, baring her teeth.

"What's going on? Why do people like to spit in my face?"

"You said I was talking nonsense"

"Is that a bad word? I said, why are you lying because that egg doesn't seem to fit the situation"

"I did a good lie, because I'm your girlfriend"

"Wife"

"What?"

"You are my wife. I am your husband" Khun Sam smirked and tucked her hair behind her ear shyly. "Why do I feel so strong when I say that?"

"Why is Khun Sam the husband and I the wife?"

"Because I am the leader and you are the follower. I work to bring home money. And you cook and take care of me. It's definitely a conjugal context in which we are."

"That's too specific. Why don't we use who is the leader in bed context?"

I spoke while pouting like Suneo, I won't back down. Khun Sam slightly pulled her neck back, looking nervous.

"Do we also use that context as indicator? that's crazy"

"Let's just say that sometimes we are both husbands, and sometimes we are wives, okay? Last night Khun Sam was my wife"

"I like those pajamas"

"Don't change the subject" I laugh, because so far I know I'm the winner in this conversation. "I still have a question, who owns this big man's shirt you forced me to wear?"

"That's Kirk's"

Clangg!!!

The spoon and fork in my hands fell to the floor like a deer caught in a headlight. Khun Sam looked at me and frowned.

"What's wrong? Why do you look like that?"

"Mr. Kirk spent the night with you here before?"

"Yes."

"Khun Sam and Khun Kirk.."

"That is Kirk's bedroom. My bedroom is in another wing of the villa. We normally come as a big family, so Kirk comes too. He probably left a shirt in the closet, and Mon used it as a pajama. But it's y; I like it. When you walk, it shows some skin; my tummy tickles when I see that."

She keeps on talking, not paying attention to how Kirk's shirt caught my attention. But from her explanation, I understand that though they came here together because Kirk was her fiancé, they came as a big family and stayed in separate rooms. Kirk was Khun Sam's fiance, but they didn't end up together. I still feel guilty every time I talk about this, but I love her, and I won't give her to anyone, even if it's the kind Khun Kirk.

By the way, did she say her tummy tickles?

I suddenly feel naughty. Maybe it's because I want to sleekly avoid the food in front of me. I slowly rub my foot against her leg under the table. Khun Sam, who's looking at me, frowned a bit when she felt something creeping up her leg. She asks;

"What are you doing?"

"I want your tummy to tickle some more."

"Don't play with the dark force." She looks at me with her light brown eyes, which are full of emotions. She's the easily aroused type. She knows well what I'm doing. "Not eating anymore?"

"Hungry for Khun Sam more (than food)"

"No."

"Because this time, I will be the husband. I should make the context and role clear as to who plays what role."

"But Mon prefers to be the aggressor"

"I like to tua too."

"Khun Cham!!" I am a bit ambiguous when we , but it seems like the person in front of me is very direct.

"Why are you so loud? Please be shy of the hut, my sweet girl~~"

"Don't, sweet girl, me. Mon tries to be a bit indirect, but Khun Sam spits out the word "" just like that; that's embarrassing."

"We've been together for three years. Are you still shy? There's nothing we haven't done."

"But you don't need to be that direct. Don't be like P Jim and talk too directly, it's not our mood and tone."

"I thought we could talk about anything."

" doesn't suit Khun Sam at all. Be your old self; that's better." The sweet faced lady shrugs to imply whatever and is about to go under the table.

"What are you doing ka?"

"Grab the spoon for you. Tua dropped it"

"You don't have to; I'll pick it up myself."

But it's too late. She went under the table, so I sat still. But I can't sit still because she didn't grab just the spoon but more. The sweet-faced lady moves toward me under the table and pulls up my shirt. I startle when she uses her hands to lift the back of my knees and put them on her shoulders before using to do something naughty to me. My whole body melts like wax. I try to push her head away, but it seems to have no effect on the straighted-face lady.

"Khun Sam, Mon is eating."

"I'll eat too. Bring me rice, this should go well

"Khun Sam, you' re mocking me!"

We've been together for three years.

There are many stories and events along the way, but the toughest one for Khun Sam can't be any other one than her grandmother passing away from a heart attack. That made Khun Sam lose her path for a while. Can't eat, can't sleep, cried everyday. She felt guilty and kept saying that she didn't take good enough care of her grandmother. I was the one beside her. When she cried, I cried too. I tried to make her not overthink. Though I know I didn't do a very good job, it's better than not trying to do anything at all. Overcoming those bad times to this day was quite a challenge. Khun Sam is much better now. Time heals the wound in her heart, so she no longer drowns in sorrow. The happiness aura is back on our couple. You can say we've been through thick and thin.

But it's not that we're the only happy couple around. There have been many changes in the past three years. Khun Nueng is seeing someone younger. P Jim has two kids now. P Kate, the beautiful actress that she is, continues to be in and out of relationships. Lastly, P Tee stopped fooling around for one girl, Yuki, a younger girl with a beautiful face who could capture P Tee's heart.

"I'm getting married."

P Tee announced it at one of our monthly get-togethers. This is the rule of this group: no matter how busy we all are, we must find time to meet for friendship bonding. After hearing that, everyone's eyes became wide open with surprise at the unbelievable yet delightful news.

"For real? You're getting married?" P Kate almost choked on the salmon she just put in from disbelief. "A playtom like you can really stop at one person?"

"Why do you have to look at me in a bad light? I'm tired of being in and out of relationships. I want to stop and be with one person once I find the right one."

'Congratulations na ka P Tee." I give a bright, sincere smile. Khun Sam squints at me but doesn't say anything and replies shortly.

"Yeah, congratulations."

"Can you congratulate her with more zest? She's your friend, remember?" P Kate says with sarcasm at Khun Sam's unsurprising coldness because she's always been like this.

"Do I have to hold a pompom and dance too?"

"Why do you have to be sarcastic? Oh yeah, because you can't get married due to your grandmother's ultimatum, hu hu" p Kate continues to ridicule, and that makes Khun Sam go silent. But the one who is acting the most strangely is P Jim. She didn't react, and moreover, she rolls her eyes like what she just heard is annoying. Eventually, Khun Sam has to ask because she can't stand this weird reaction.

"Why are you so quiet today?"

"Do you want me to hold a pompom and dance too?"

"Why do you have to copy me? Say something else."

"I will copy you."

"Bruhhh"

"Are you drunk, Jim? Normally, you would be the one acting the most crazy. Tee is getting married for god's sake." P Kate emphasizes one more time to try to get P Jim to be more elated. We all look at P Jim, who pours the alcohol down and uses the back of her hand to rub before slamming the glass down on the table.

"I'm getting a divorce."

"huh/huh/huh?"

We all cried out. Even Khun Sam drops her jaw. P Jim shrugs like it's no big deal, like she just told us what she had for breakfast.

"Why? You have two kids, but you're getting a divorce?" P Tee asks in shock, while P Kate nods in agreement.

"The is bad. Your husband has a mistress. Or you no

longer crave oysters?"

"What does craving oysters have to do with this?" Khun Sam turns around to ask P Kate with a straight face.

"This is not the right time to ask Sam, it just seems to rhyme. So Jim, why are you divorcing?"

"I can't stand a couple life."

P Jim replies while chewing on her inner cheek. The loud and lively one is more quiet than usual, making the mood gloomy.

"What makes it intolerable for you?"

"I can't be monogamous!" P Jim replied with a stiff voice, like she's mad at herself. "I don't know why I'm like this. He loves me. The is perfect. The only thing that is wrong is me."

"Jim... you're a bad person." P Tee says with a cracked voice. "How can someone be like this? I feel so bad for your husband"

"I feel bad for him too. But right now, I feel worse for myself because I know how I feel. Two kids don't help; they couldn't stop me. Like you have seen, I wouldn't have gotten married if didn't get pregnant. So, think carefully, Tee. Have you really asked yourself if you want to stop before deciding to get married?'

"Hey, she's getting married; don't cause her to doubt her decision. You don't like couple life; that's fine, but don't try to sway others." P Kate screams at her friend and waves her hand at P Tee. "Don't listen to her. If you want to get married, do it. Monogamy is good. You've lived your life fully. If you can stop now, then stop. Look at Sam; once she met Mon, she immediately stopped."

"She hasn't met anyone else. Don't trust her too much, Mon. She will leave you once she finds someone more beautiful"

Khun Sam grabs a buttered bun and throws it at P Jim's face so hard, P Jim leans back. Khun Sam's face is no different from a monster, and she's holding a glass of water, about to throw it at her friend. But I grabbed her wrist first.

"Khun Sam ka, calm down. P Jim is just kidding."

"If she wants to get a divorce, do it. But she should try to break others up. What a monster!"

"It's just a buttered bun, but that hurts." P Jim wipes the crumbs off her face and shakes them off her hand. "I'm just warning Mon that people can change. When I got married, I thought I could stop at one person and look at what happened. I'm regretting it now."

"Jim ruins the mood for us all." P Tee says, skewing with her arms crossed and signing. "I came for you guys to congratulate me, and look at what Jim did"

"You're hesitating, I know."

"No, but feel bad that you're like this. Us friends are more concerned about how you feel right now."

"Not at all, I'm hating her face right now." Khun Sam interrupts, so P Tee stares at her.

"Shut up first, Moi"

"Let's say, , I'm happy for you that you're getting married. But I warned you that it's not fun to live your life with one person every single day. Life is so tasteless. And to go home to kids screaming. Boring."

P Jim really looks worrying today, so everyone change the topic to uplift the mood until we leave. On the way back with Khun Sam, both of us are silent. We are probably thinking about the same thing, which is what P Jim just said. People can change; that's reality. Even I change on a daily basis. How can Khun Sam not change?

"I will not change. Please believe THIS"

"Khun Sam heard it?" put my hand on my chest in bewilderment. I was thinking about it in my head. Why does she reply like she knew what was thinking?

"Heard what?"

"Never mind"

"I know tua are overthinking about what Jim said. I will never change. Tua are with me every day; Tua knows it best. But the one who would know the most is me." Khun Sam said it like a promise she was making. I nod with a smile and lean over to rub her arm.

"Kha, Mon believe you. I got sensitive seeing P Jim like that. I've got to believe in my girl, of course."

"I like the sound of that, MY girl." Khun Sam smiles slightly and continues to drive before she goes on to say, "I can' + think of what would make me change and not love tua anymore."

"A third person, maybe?"

"Impossible. I've never liked or loved anyone else in my life." She said it with a straight face but sincerely. I twist from shyness and scratch my face after hearing that.

"Mon has also never liked or loved anyone but Khun Sam."

"Our love is perfect among all. It's perfection. That's why I was so mad that Jim said something that might break us up. She can be a bad partner herself; why has to try to break others up?"

"P Jim is confused right now; please don't think too much about what she said. It's pitiful that she's that unhappy." My lips are tight as I sign and say, "If one day you feel like P Jim, please tell Mon. Mon can't stand it if Khun Sam has to suffer being with me."

"I told you that day would never come. I will never change. How can I make you believe me?"

"I do, but nothing is certain. I'm saying it just in case."

"How can I make you believe me?"

"I do."

"How can I make you believe me?"

She keeps repeating it the way she did when she sent stickers. She must always get what she wants by repeating, i.e., asking repeatedly until my answer matches what she wants from her heart. I look at her like I'm going to cry because my answer is not what she wants to hear.

"You don't have to do anything. Mon already said that Mon believes you."

"I think since grandmother is not here anymore and as a promise that we' ll be together forever."

"How can I make you believe me?"

She keeps repeating it the way she did when she sent stickers. She must always get what she wants by repeating, i.e., asking repeatedly until my answer matches what she wants from her heart. I look at her like I'm going to cry because my answer is not what she wants to hear.

"You don't have to do anything. Mon already said that Mon believes you."

"I think since grandmother is not here anymore and as a promise that we' Il be together forever."

"Let's get married."