Judgment Day

Snob Society: Most Valuable Patron
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi walks into the campus cafetaria and hears her friends at the corner table laughing and hollering so loudly from metres away. She approaches them and tells them to tone it down, trying to be considerate to the other people there.

 

"What's so funny?" she asks after they quieted down.

 

"Nothing. Youngjae is joining us later for the movie," Moonbyul, her best friend, says.

 

Seulgi raises an eyebrow at the guy in question. "You? Joining us to watch something that is not part of the assignment? Are you possessed?"

 

The whole table explodes in laughter once again.

 

"You see, Youngjae here has a new crush and from now on he will be a loyal customer at The Arthouse."

 

Seulgi doesn't even need to ask to know who exactly that new crush is. And she really doesn't have to ask because her friends start gossiping about the beautiful yet mysterious concession girl who only appears once in a blue moon. She listens to them praising the girl while at the same time saying that she has a cold aura.

 

"She doesn't talk much and she's quite stingy with the hot dog condiments." One of her friends complains.

 

Seulgi is confused by the statement because that's definitely not her impression of the girl at all. She's always talkative and she once gave her a lot of cheese sauce on her nachos. Not to mention that mix popcorn option that has changed her life for the better.

 

When they ask for her opinion, she accidentally blurts out, "You're totally out of her league," to which her friends toppled over in laughter yet again.

 

Youngjae throws an empty water bottle at her in fake anger. "I'm gonna get her number today, you'll see," he says determinedly.

 

She's half disappointed and half relieved later that evening when they get to the cinema and the girl is not there; disappointed because she doesn't get to see her and relieved because she doesn't have to see Youngjae flirt with her. Minhee is working today instead and the poor girl is bombarded with questions by the boys about the new girl. However, she stays mum and says that she can't give out employees' personal information.

 

Seulgi then realizes that whenever they talk, the girl would always be the one asking the questions. She knows almost nothing about her because of that and she has made it her mission to get at least her name the next time they meet again.

 

-

 

The Arthouse has two auditoriums; one for new releases and the other screens past films from the absolute old-time, black and white classics to the more popular recent ones. The film playing at Auditorium 2 this week is 'Call Me By Your Name', a coming-of-age, gay romance drama that she has watched twice before yet it never failed to make her cry, as proven today by her red and puffy eyes by the end of the film.

 

Coming out of the auditorium, she sits down at her usual table, wanting to fix up her appearance a little before going to the concession to talk to the girl who happens to be working today. They didn't get to talk much earlier because a bunch of young girls came late and queued behind her.

 

She gets a tap on her shoulder and when she turns, the girl is standing there, looking at her concerned. "Are you okay?"

 

Seulgi clears , blushing. "Y- yeah.. it's uh.." She takes a pause before deciding to just tell the truth. "This movie always makes me cry."

 

The girl glances at the digital screen in front of the auditorium that shows the movie poster. "Seriously?"

 

Seulgi catches a slight judgement in her tone. "Have you seen it?" she asks. Maybe other than her name, today she would also get a chance to find out how this girl feels about gay people. Killing two birds with one stone, they say.

 

"Yeah," she answers simply.

 

"You didn't like it." Seulgi states instead of questioning based on her unenthusiastic tone.

 

"Not really."

 

"Why?" she presses. Now, she's the one judging.

 

The girl shrugs. "I don't know. Not really my taste, I guess."

 

Seulgi doesn't press further, afraid of being disappointed by the possibility that the girl that she kind of has a crush on might be homophobic. Yes, she's finally admitting to herself that she has a crush on her; just a harmless, innocent crush that she might not even do anything about. She excuses herself, needing to go to the restroom to pee and to fix her make up.

 

"I'm pretty sure there's a long queue; quiet a lot of ladies came for the movie today. Do you wanna use the staff restroom?" The girl offers.

 

"Uh.. it's fine. I don't want to get you into trouble."

 

"You won't." The girl pulls her wrist. "Come on!"

 

Her eyes shift down to the hand that is holding her as she follows obediently. "Are you sure it's fine?"

 

"I'm sure. It's just a restroom."

 

"Are you sleeping with the boss or something?" she asks jokingly. She sees the change in the girl's face, realizing how wrong that sounded and quickly explaining herself. "Uh.. it's a joke. I wasn't really thinking that. You know the phrase who do I have to sleep with to get.. something.. around here?" She gulps seeing the crease on the girl's forehead. "B- because.. you know.. you're about to let me use the staff restroom, you don't wear a uniform and I'm pretty sure you were the one behind that mixed popcorn."

 

The girl's face finally relaxes and Seulgi, too, relaxes internally. "You're welcome," she says with a smirk before cocking her head to the left as they're now already standing in front of the said restroom. "Get in."

 

"Thank you. You don't have to wait for me, someone might want to buy something before going home."

 

The girl scoffs. "Yeah, right." They both know no one does that. Why should they, when there's a street market with cheaper and better food just a few hundred metres away from here. "Don't worry, I'm actually done with my shift. Minhee is there at the concession, she will be the one doing the closing tonight."

 

Seulgi gives her a soft okay before getting into the restroom, spinning her brain to work out the girl's strange work schedules. Nothing about this girl makes sense.

 

Concession Girl is still there when she comes out, sitting down, waiting for her. "All good?" she asks.

 

"Yeah. Sorry it took too long, I was.. uhm.. fixing this." She points to her own face, now free from tear stains. She takes a seat right next to her.

 

"It's fine," she says with a smile; it's blinding. "I don't remember the film to be that sad. Which part was it specifically that made you cry?"

 

She lights up from the question, always excited to discuss the film she has just watched. "The part when Elio called his mother to pick him up at the train station and the ending when he was crying in front of the fireplace. That was just... wow."

 

"Wow?" she repeats. "You call yourself a film student? You professor must be so proud of your eloquence." She teases with a naughty smile. 

 

Seulgi groans, feeling her face flushing. "Stop teasing me!" She braves herself to push the girl lightly by the shoulder.

 

The girl laughs; she follows. And they both are now laughing freely at that empty corner of the cinema.

 

"Hey, may I know your name?" She tries her luck. "You know mine. We've met so many times, we joked around and I don't even know your name."

 

The girl tilts her head. "You never asked."

 

That silences her because it's true. How many weeks have passed since the first time she saw her? How many films has she watched here since then? "You're right. Well, I'm asking now. Will you tell me?"

 

"I guess I have to tell you now. It'd be really weird if I don'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter