Personal

Snob Society: Most Valuable Patron
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A woman stranded on an island.

 

A day in a life of a taxi driver.

 

A teenager with an imaginary friend who persuades them to do evil things.

 

A group of friends working at a suicide prevention center.

 

A e with unique clients.

 

A couple held captive in their apartment by a man with a gun overnight.

 

Two neighbours surviving a pandemic together.

 

There are so many ideas being thrown around. Drafts of screenplays being tossed into the ring. One being chosen in the end after a long debate and consideration.

 

"Seulgi's story feels the most personal and the easiest to film."

 

"I agree. Her draft is also already half-completed."

 

Seulgi looks at her friends, half-asleep. She was struggling finding ideas for the short film project and finally found one just two days ago when she was strolling the city, looking for another unrelated idea - a date activity for Irene. She came home feeling really inspired but didn't know how to start with the screenplay. Last night she started typing down the first word and she couldn't stop typing from then on. Her eyes were glued to her laptop the whole night, accompanied by two cans of coffee and a bag of chips. The next thing she knew, the sun was already rising and her mother had come out of her bedroom, ready for breakfast.

 

The decision is quickly made after a round of voting. Seulgi's idea will be the one they use for their group project. Which is why she feels bad asking for this afterwards, "I don't want to be hogging all the roles, but.. do you guys mind if I direct it too?"

 

There's a pause of hesitation for a few seconds before Moonbyul comes to her rescue. "It's your screenplay, it's only logical if you direct it. The director's vision, am I right?"

 

She's always thankful to have Moonbyul in her life. Her bestest friend in the entire world. The one who's always ready to help her, support her and defend her from anything. And she's so damn lucky they're in the same group together, because this combination of people wasn't exactly up to them, which is why there's someone on this table that she's kind of a little bit - just a little bit - annoyed by.

 

Sakura.

 

The goody two shoes, member of the student council, straight-A student, I'm-always-so-positive-and-all-smile kind of human being. 

 

Barf.

 

No, Seulgi doesn't really hate her. In fact, she always thinks that Sakura is nice and very helpful, but that's all before they started hanging out as a group and Irene will sometimes join them and this Japanese girl just can't stop ogling her girlfriend.

 

"Yeah, there's so much more to filmmaking than writing and directing," Sakura says. "That should be fine. You focus on that and we'll take care of everything else."

 

She nods, somehow thankful.

 

"Okay. You need to finalize the script soon, Seul, so we can start looking for people to star in it." Moonbyul reminds, adding, "We're already behind schedule."

 

That's true. They've spent too much time debating the unecessary.

 

"Are we allowed to play supporting characters?" Ari, another groupmate asks.

 

"Yes, we are. You're even allowed to play the main character, if you want," Sakura answers.

 

"Let's not." Moonbyul interjects, smirking teasingly at Ari. "Let's hold audition and get professionals, at least for the main character."

 

"Sakura has experiences in drama club, though." Ari nudges the Japanese sitting next to her, who smiles shyly.

 

Seulgi prays to God Sakura isn't really hoping to play the main character. It's just not how she envisions it.

 

The meeting wraps up an hour later after they divided tasks for the next step. Seulgi sighs in relief. It's finally the weekend.

 

-

 

Seulgi watches the event happening from afar with a lot of jealousy. She has been offered a free ticket to such once in a lifetime experience; A Tribute to Park Dongwoon at The Arthouse. A chance to attend, sit amongst and rub shoulders with some of the industry's most talented and most famous people.

 

But she said no.

 

On her own volition.

 

Irene offered the ticket to her herself, but she didn't want to take it. She was being sensitive towards Irene's feelings. How could she attend an event for someone who was allegedly responsible for the death of her girlfriend's father? Irene has convinced her that it was fine, but the girl was visibly touched when she adamantly refused the invitation.

 

Now, she's regretting it a little. Just a little.

 

Gasps are heard when a familiar figure comes out of a black Mercedes, black stilletos elegantly stepping on the red carpet rolled outside of the entrace. She smiles, not at all surprised by the appearance, unlike the crowd surrounding her.

 

'Is that Oh Sunyoung?'

 

'Oh my, it really is!"

 

"Gosh, how the hell does she still look the same after all these years?'

 

Irene's mother looks fabulous - she always does, but that dark blue gown on her makes her look so regal. She won't be surprised if Irene turned out to be the descendant of a royal clan from the Joseon Dynasty.

 

She chuckles and walks away from the crowd, checking her watch before entering Espresso Bar to finish her screenplay while waiting for the event to end.

 

-

 

The lobby of the cinema is finally empty, apart from some of the workers - most that supposed to be there aren't there either because of course they chose to be inside the auditorium where all the famous people are.

 

"Hi, Seulgi. Looking for your girlfriend?" Junsu greets, teasing.

 

"No, I know she's busy. I'm here for Mr. Noh and also for a small popcorn," she explains.

 

Mr. Noh and her have become buddies after the film festival where she helped curating the films. She also gave the man an idea to do a little networking during this Park Dongwoon event. She thought that after today The Arthouse could market itself to be a new it place for events; such as film premieres, press screenings, meet and greets and Q&As. She wanted to know if Mr. Noh succeeded in making one or two connections.

 

She's about to get her card out to pay but Junsu tells her that everything at the concession is free today.

 

"What!?" She gasps. That has never happened before. "Is it too late to change to a large popcorn?" She jokes.

 

"Seulgi, did you know that Ms. Irene is Oh Sunyoung's daughter?" he asks, definitely feeling betrayed.

 

"H- how did you.. find out?" She stutters. "Did something happen?"

 

"We heard her calling Oh Sunyoung mom."

 

She wonders if Irene did that purposely or accidentally, and she has no other choice but to admit, "Uh.. yeah, I know."

 

"Damn! How could you?" Junsu clutches her heart dramatically. "All this time, I'm working in a cinema owned by Oh Sunyoung's husband. Imagine that!"

 

She's about to correct him, but she decides not to. It's not her place to tell.

 

"Mr. Noh is very busy, but Ms. Irene is in her office, I think."

 

She looks up from the selections of chocolate bars. "Oh, she's not inside?" she asks, pointing to the auditorium. 

 

"Nope, I'm pretty sure she just walked by a few minutes ago."

 

"Oh, okay." She asks for a dark chocolate bar, thanks Junsu and goes to Irene's office instead.

 

The blonde is really there, sitting on the couch, looking exhausted. Seulgi silently sits next to her, offering her popcorn.

 

"Did they charge you for this? It's supposed to be free." she questions. When she assures her that it was free, she asks why she didn't go for a bigger size.

 

She only chuckles. "Are you alright?" she questions, knowing how much Irene was conflicted with this whole Park Dongwoon event.

 

Irene hums and rests her head on her shoulder. "I am now that you're here."

 

She smiles and doesn't pry further. If Irene wants to talk, she will. She puts her arm over her, pulling her in. They sit there in a comfortable silence, eating popcorn.

 

"Seul, can I stay over at your place tonight? My mom is bringing her friends home for an after party at the house," Irene asks right after the popcorn is finished.

 

"Oh?" She tilts her head. “She’ll be there too? Cha Yoojin, I mean.”


“Yeap.”


“You can stay at my place whenever you want, you know that.” She nudges the girl lightly, before she suddenly gets an idea. "Hey, are you tired? I want to bring you somewhere."

 

"Tonight?"

 

"Yeah, if you're up for something fun."

 

"Where?"

 

She gives a cheeky smile. "It's a secret."

 

Irene sits up straight. "Kang Seulgi, are you tricking me into going to a love motel or something?"

 

She makes a face. "Ew, no. I'm not that cheap, Irene Bae. I'm more of a carefully-selected Airbnb kind of a gal."

 

The blonde cackles. "But where are we going?"

 

She makes a gesture of zipping her lips.

 

Irene rolls her eyes, standing up and checking the clock. She has to go back to the auditorium soon for the closing. "Okay," she answers unsurely.

 

"You'll like it, I promise." She assures her.

 

A smile then spreads across her face. "I'll go with you anywhere, Kang Seulgi," she says, like she really means it, in a deeper sense.

 

She swallows down the lump in , watching the girl go before she takes out her phone to arrange the surprise. 

 

-

 

Irene's eyes widened when they arrive at the archery range. Seulgi can feel the giddy excitement in her eyes.

 

"I haven't done this in years," the former athlete says, a little out of breath. "I found a place in New York, but I didn't have friends to go with; none of my friends there does archery, obviously. And it's not that fun going alone, so I've kind of abandoned it."

 

"Well, you have me now. I can come with you anytime you want," she tells her, receiving a grateful smile. "Show me what you've got, babe. Impress me."

 

"Babe?" Irene lights up.

 

And she blushes. "I.. uh.." She chuckles awkwardly. "You call me Seul, but I don't have a nickname for you. I wanted to call you Rene, but it sounded weird on my tongue."

 

The blonde giggles, pinching her arm softly. "You can call me anything, but babe sounds a bit.. cringey."

 

"I know, I know. I'll work on that, boss." She salutes her playfully. "Come, it's closing at ten, so I only booked for one hour."

 

They go to the designated area and Irene helps her putting the chest guard on. "Wow, it's lighter than I thought. Are you sure this is safe?" she questions.

 

"I'm sure," she answers patiently. 'Unlike other forms of padding, this one is light so that archers are uninhibited when doing a shot."

 

This archery date plan wasn't exactly unplanned, but she didn't know it would happen so soon, so she hasn't done her research and watched some tutorial for beginners just yet. "You're gonna teach me, right?"

 

Irene makes a face. "I hope you don't at this as much as you at swimming," she says so heartlessly.

 

"You're mean," she grumbles, honestly feeling a little hurt, but all is good once Irene starts explaining to her what to do and touching her so gently - and sometimes a little too sensually. That hand on her waist is totally unnecessary, especially when it travels to cup her .

 

Fortunately, they're at the far left of the range and not many people are left there on a Sunday night. There are loud laughters coming from the other side of the range from time to time - probably a bunch of boys having fun - but they still have their privacy.

 

It's a shame that Irene is shorter than her, otherwise they would have that perfect, cliché moments you usually see in romantic movies. One scene that immediately comes to her mind is Patrick Swayze sitting behind Demi Moore as they do pottery with the song Unchained Melody playing in the background.

 

Anyway, that's not important. What's important is that she has shot five arrows and none of them touched the target, let alone hitting a high number. She finally hit a 2 on her sixth try and Irene smiles proudly at her. The highest she got for that round is a 5. Not too shabby, Irene assures her.

 

It's then finally Irene's turn to do her round after Seulgi is done with hers; the former athlete wanted to focus on teaching her at first.

 

And she misses.

 

Seulgi dares not to laugh, because Irene doesn't. She doesn't even make any excuse to explain herself, she just focuses and shoots another one.

 

Seven.

 

She takes another arrow swiftly and shoots.

 

Nine.

 

Another one.

 

Nine, again.

 

Then finally a ten.

 

She watches the girl finishing her round so calmly, so amazingly, and so beautifully with her hair up in a pony tail - truly a rare occurence. The blonde looks so beautiful with her hair up like that, her flawless neck exposed; making her want to do all sorts of things to it.

 

Irene misses the target completely on her ni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter