Chapter Three

Wrong Person, Right Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The same night, Dahyun sat on the sofa, her gaze fixed on the ring. Her expression indicates that she was unable to figure out something. While staring at it, she thought deeply, very seriously, subconsciously saying, "This can't be a mere coincidence, right?" but knowing she wouldn't find an answer to that question, she could only sigh.

The very calm moment was interrupted by a sudden wail of a child. Dahyun leaped up and dashed straight to the triplets' playroom upon hearing that sound. Whereupon she noticed the youngest child, Devan, bawling hysterically because the oldest child, Daniel, had stolen his favorite toy car.

"Devan, beep beep," he sobbed, his hands opening and closing as he reached for his toy, which the other boy refused to return. "Noona! Devan, beep beep," Devan said, exasperatedly shaking his head whilst complaining to Dahyun.

"Daniel, Daniel," Dahyun had to intervene, despite the fact that she normally let the children solve their own problems. After all, these boys know when they're wrong, and as triplets, they tend to miss each other after small and petty arguments. As a result, they end up reconciling with each other.

"Why don't you get the other car, hmm?" she asked gently, taking up one of the cars on the floor and exchanging it for Devan's. "This is yours, Daniel, right? You chose this color, so who does the one you're holding belong to?" Dahyun questioned calmly, making sure not to make the boy cry.

"Damien gets it!" The middle child dashed to Daniel's side, snatching the toy, which meant turmoil — frightful warfare.

"Oh no," Dahyun murmured, knowing where this was going. All she could do was take a deep breath and brace herself for another piercing scream, this time from Daniel. "I think I'm beginning to appreciate dogs, my greatest fear, more than boys," she admitted as she listened to Devan and Daniel weep in unison.

There is just one way to hush this commotion, and it is the highly effective trick Dahyun had been doing whenever something like this occurred. She calmly turned aside and exited the room's door. "I guess I'm going to eat some ORANGES," she stated after a few steps, presumably accentuating some phrases on purpose.

That word quickly quieted the cries, indicating that it drew the three boys' attention. Dahyun smirked, nodding her head as she appeared to be winning again once more against the three boys. "GRAPES would be refreshing to eat as well," she continued.

"Olenges!" Damien yelled from inside the room before dropping the toy car he and his brothers had been battling for. Damien made quick small leaps out of the room, ecstatic about the thought of a bowl of fruit.

"You want oranges?" Dahyun inquired when the child wrapped his arms around her leg. "How about STRAWBERRIES? Isn't that Devan's favorite?"

"Me! Me!" Devan said, sprinting outside to catch up with Dahyun.

"Oh, I guess Daniel doesn't want any," Dahyun teased the last triplet.

And it worked perfectly. "Noona! Want!" exclaimed Daniel. It didn't take long for the triplets to be content again, which was enough for Dahyun to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Mr. Chun shouldn't have spent so much money on an antique business," she thought to herself. "A fruit farm would be preferable, especially since the kids enjoy it as well." "But, yeah, he didn't see this coming either."

"Noona, big yum!" exclaimed one of the children.

"You want a lot?"

"Yes!"

"Well, you've got to say please," Dahyun said, folding her arms across her chest and looking down at those puppy eyes.

"Pease!"

"Piss?" Dahyun giggled, furrowing her brows. "Hmm, alright, I'll take your piss," she responded, stopping as she realized, "Wait, that did not sound right."

 

On the other hand, Sana came back to the same spot, drowning herself in all these alcohol and unhealthy habits to ruin her well-preserved diet. Well, she just couldn't help it. Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the one person you thought would never hurt you.

Perhaps not many will understand how depressing it is for Sana to be in a relationship for how long, with marriage in her mind. While Momo enjoys comfort in the long run of the relationship, when the full-time commitment comes along, she gets afraid and soon escapes. Perhaps because she was no longer in love.

"Argh, this isn't working," Sana muttered as she stood up to search for her phone. She realized it sat next to her after taking a few steps away from where she was. "Stupid, Sana," she murmured, returning to her seat.

She began looking through the contacts as soon as she opened the smartphone. Her eyes began to blur at that same moment, but she continued to look for a certain individual on the list. Sana was looking specifically for Jihyo's contact information.

"Drinking is never fun without stories," she thought to herself as she drafted her invitation for the next night at a karaoke bar or somewhere less boring than her flat. "Stories wouldn't happen without a friend," Sana continued alone before successfully sending it. After she was done, she flung the device onto the bed and resumed her lonely drinking spree.

 

 

Dahyun was awakened by the early morning barks of the dogs outside. When she looked at the clock, she saw that it was just a quarter before six o'clock in the morning. That made her want to sleep again, but it would be better to wake up and cook breakfast for these three small lads.

"So heavy," she said quietly, slipping her arms off behind Daniel and Damien's heads. Devan was sleeping on her top, so she had to carefully get up while cradling the little boy. Dahyun would carefully shift over and place Devan between his two sleeping brothers after successfully doing so without hearing any whining sounds.

These kids have their own room, and their beds combined are unquestionably larger than Dahyun's queen-sized bed. But the triplets preferred scooching over and beside her, finding the most comfort in the company of their big sister. Yet, Dahyun does not always allow this to happen. After all, children should also learn to be less reliant on others. Sleeping in their own beds would be an excellent starting point.

It's only that these boys were terrified of something last night and sought protection from Dahyun. Of course, the latter woman would never say no to something like that. It wasn't really monsters under their beds or a boogeyman in the closet, but it was reasonable. Only the sound of an ambulance scares the triplets after they witness their father, Mr. Chun, being taken by one.

"What is this?" Dahyun asked, scanning a text message she had received the night before. She wasn't able to see it immediately, though, because she had fallen asleep before putting the kids to rest. That wasn't anything new about them.

It took roughly a half minute for Dahyun to process the text message. It did, however, perplex her still. "What was that for?" she could only think to herself. That being said, of course, unless she asked for it to be cleared up, the explanation would remain a mystery.

 

 

 

 

This was the first time in a long time that Dahyun had enough time to prepare breakfast. The truth is, she's always wanted to bring the triplets those three-layer strawberry pancakes, and it's not difficult to make. The only issue was that she was always too weary to get up a little earlier than usual.

This is because Dahyun would have to travel to the hospital, which is several bus stops away, after closing the shop every night. She'd be especially keen to check on Mr. Chun to see if he's doing better, which would be difficult given tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter