Chapter Eight

Wrong Person, Right Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Nah, I can handle this," Dahyun said for the third time as Sana insisted on washing the dishes. She remained next to Dahyun, leaning towards the counter with both hands on its surface. "You're a visitor; I wouldn't ask you to do anything," the pale-skinned lady made clear.

"What's the big deal?" Sana questioned, still trying to persuade Dahyun.

"I don't know," Dahyun shrugged, continuing, "you tell me." "Why is it such a big deal that you're not supposed to do it?" she said.

Sana could only sigh, knowing she'd lost this one argument at the very least. "Fine," she said quietly, finally giving up.

"Great," the other woman chuckled, charmingly smiling.

"Don't you smile at me like that," Sana said softly, frowning.

"Like what?" Dahyun raised her eyebrows, only giving the other woman a fleeting glance as she soaped the plates.

Sana said nothing, instead continuing to scowl until she thought of something silly. Her lips curled into a tight-lipped smirk before allowing an intrusive thought to take over her mind.

She quickly dipped her index finger in the bubbled soap and wiped it all over the bridge of Dahyun's nose. The latter woman became stunned by the sudden action and remained immovable.

It took her a few seconds to glare at Sana, who promptly tried to get away. "Well... I've never attempted putting children to bed before, so I should do it while I'm here," she said sheepishly.

Sana hurriedly walked away, exclaiming, "Bye!" before Dahyun could even make a move. As a result, the latter woman could only laugh and shake her head as she wiped the bubbled soap off her nose bridge.

"Is she really four years older than me?" she wondered to herself while tilting her head and furrowing her eyebrows.

 

 

 

Dahyun walked towards the triplets' bedroom as soon as she finished the chore, intrigued as to how difficult it would be for Sana to put them to bed. On her way there, she heard a booming sound of thunder, followed by a heavy downpour.

That worried her, so she moved quickly. Dahyun softly pushed the partially opened door, taking care not to disturb anything. But it appeared that everything had already been disturbed by the sound of thunder.

"I swear it won't hurt you," Sana replied, sighing as she looked at the triplets, who were all bunched up in one corner, wailing softly. They, like all children, are vulnerable and in need of protection.

Dahyun understood exactly what they needed, so she stepped straight in, capturing the attention of both the children and Sana. "Noona!" the boys cried in unison, sprinting towards the woman to embrace her.

"Will they be okay?" Sana wondered, concerned but unsure what she could do to help. "I swear they were already sleeping, and I did the best job I could," she sighed, her efforts fruitless. "Thunderstorms are extremely annoying."

 "Annoying," Damien said again, gradually calming down, though his sobs continued. Dahyun could only pat their heads and wipe their tears away, hoping that it would calm them down.

"Right, Damien," Sana replied, nodding her head. "Screw thunder," she continued.

"I don't think they should learn to say that," Dahyun replied, softly laughing as Sana pursed her lips. She didn't mean to say that, but at least it wasn't exactly a bad word. Even so, children should not use that phrase carelessly.

"It's okay, they'll calm down in a minute," the pale-skinned woman said, appreciating Sana's care for the children. "If they don't, I know just what to do," she added, wearing a small smile on her face.

"Do it, noona," Daniel responded, understanding what Dahyun had said. "Fight the rain!" he bellowed, raising his fist to emphasize the word fight.

"You're fighting the rain?" Sana exclaimed, her eyes wide with confusion. "Are you serious?"

"Not in the sense that I'd jump outside and start throwing fists wherever, Sana," Dahyun laughed, knowing right away that Sana would misinterpret it.

"You know what, I'll just do it," she decided, knowing that would be one way to show the woman exactly how it would be done.

"Yay!" Devan said, moving himself away from Dahyun's lap to allow the woman to go, as did the two other boys.

The triplets appeared to feel much lighter as a result of this, which definitely astounded Sana. She rationalized in her brain that Dahyun's competence with childcare added to the woman's charms.

"Hold on," Dahyun said to Sana as she stood up. "I'll get back to you with something."

"Yeah sure, I'll be waiting here with them," the other woman answered, getting inquisitive but never impatient. She is, after all, going to find out.

 

 

 

After a few moments of waiting and watching the boys huddle closer to her, aware of the heavy rain — Sana knew they were still frightened — Dahyun returned. Sana's cheeks flushed at seeing the woman stroll right in with that thing. She had no idea Dahyun could get any more attractive than she already was.

Dahyun returned with a handcrafted acoustic guitar from the early nineteenth century. Sana could already tell what was going to happen based on what she saw alone. Dahyun could either play an instrumental of a song for them or sing. The latter would almost certainly lead Sana to have a heart attack.

"All right, boys," Dahyun said as she sat on one of the children's wooden chairs. She then set the guitar up in a playing position.

As a result, the triplets swiftly climbed into their respective beds and tucked themselves in. These boys enjoy Dahyun's lullabies in the same way that other children enjoy bedtime stories. They'd take that over a book any day.

"I wish I had a bed here, too," Sana remarked, casting a quick glance at the triplets, then at Dahyun. "You go, sweetie," she murmured, clearly thrilled about the unanticipated performance.

 

 

Dahyun began strumming a peaceful melody, which was followed by a calm humming to the song's beginning. Sana couldn't help but feel her heart melt with each passing second as she sat silently and listened. To her, Dahyun's entire image seemed to have changed.

She thought this pale-skinned woman to be somewhat haughty and difficult to deal with on their first meeting. This is the point where she believes that no one can actually judge anything on the basis of the first glimpse, or smile, or words to slip out of the lips.

 

 

"Moon river..." Dahyun began to sing softly, delicately plucking the strings while closing her eyes. She was becoming one with the tune, making it even more calming. "Wider than a mile... I'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter