Chapter Five

Wrong Person, Right Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun took the taxi back home, which caused her to arrive later than she expected she would be. She took her first step into the house and immediately observed how calm it felt. The living room lights had also been switched off, indicating that the triplets were no longer there, watching television and waiting for her.

"Where are they?" Dahyun asked, her chest heaved as she rushed to go in. "Boys?" she said, having confirmed that the usual areas where the triplets would be were empty.

This was an acceptable reason to be extremely anxious. Now Dahyun is starting to feel that way, imagining all kinds of situations in her brain and overthinking everything.

"Devan?" Dahyun uttered, her panic palpable. "Damien? Danie—"

"Shh! Do not wake them," a voice muttered from the depths of the kitchen. In a normal situation, this would have frightened Dahyun, but perhaps her fear of losing the triplets was stronger than any other emotion. Furthermore, she recognized that voice very easily.

"I had a difficult time putting the kids to bed, so don't waste my efforts," Mina replied, strolling out of the kitchen with two hands clutching a mug of hot water. The temperature is quite chilly, and the heater does not seem to be functioning properly. Also, this is the most effective nasal congestion remedy of which she is aware.

"Why are you still here?" Dahyun inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Do you know what time it is?" Mina inquired, causing Dahyun's forehead to scrunch. She has no idea where this will lead, and she will never be capable of knowing. This woman in front of her is the most difficult to read.

"Their nanny left the house two hours ago, and I called the hospital just to ask Mr. Chun if you were there because I couldn't reach your phone," Mina stated, her face serious, which puzzled Dahyun even more.

"What could have happened to the kids if I wasn't home, Dahyun?" Mina went on to ask, firing words with like an angered mother or something of the sort. "Are you going to be like this all the time?"

"You were keen on creating this family with me, which means you have to know your duty! You have to know what you can and cannot do," Mina added. "This isn't cool, Dahyun," she sighed, deeply dismayed. "You married me and wanted three children, so you should work on me with this one."

 

           

 

           

 

 

"What the ... are you saying? " Dahyun blurted out slowly but with force after an extended period of silence between them.

 

           

 

           

 

Mina eventually burst out laughing, shaking her head in disbelief at how Dahyun had just reacted to her little drama. "I'm just kidding, bud," she murmured, strolling towards the dining table to place the mug there for a moment. "How come you take everything so seriously?" Mina inquired.

Dahyun could only hold her forehead in exasperation. She would have been furious, but the idea that Mina was keeping the kids safe while she was away stopped her from doing so.

 

"Thank you for what you did today," she said nonchalantly, not wanting to sound friendly in any way. She was concerned that it would complicate matters if Mina began to anticipate something as a result of mixed signals. "You can go home now and rest," Dahyun continued, without looking the other woman in the eyes. "If you like, I can walk you to the bus stop," she said, hoping to repay the favor in a manner.

"May I stay a little longer?" Mina requested instead. "I live alone in my apartment, and it bores the crap out of me," she explained, attempting to persuade Dahyun. "Just a quick conversation, then I'll leave," she said with droopy eyes, "please?"

Dahyun could only sigh, unsure whether she should do what Mina requested only once. "Alright," she said as she approached the table and sat in one of the chairs. "I don't think we have anything to talk about, though," she murmured, instead, relaxing in her seat.

"I'd want to hear about your day," Mina replied, taking a seat across from Dahyun with a hopeful smile. Mina took a sip of the hot water while the other woman stared at her, possibly judging her because her eyes were narrowed a bit.

"Why would you want to?" scoffed Dahyun, shaking her head. "It was literally a simple day... little to no exciting thing happened to me, so I'd rather not talk about it," she continued.

"Hmm," Mina hummed, attempting to figure out whether Dahyun was telling the truth or not. "I doubt it," she finally said. "You returned home two hours later than usual, and you weren't in the hospital, so that should suggest you got busy with something else," Mina said, deducting.

"Yeah? Like the shop," Dahyun remarked, scratching the crown of her head.

"The shop closes at seven," Mina shrugged, well aware that this was not the case. "You know what, I'll tell you what happened to you today."

"Sure, go on," Dahyun laughed.

"Based on the look on your face, I could tell you had a great night," Mina remarked, observing Dahyun's disposition, which the woman tried to suppress. "There are only a few enjoyable places around, such as the park, the movie theater, the arcade house, and pubs," Mina added. "You like parks the least because there isn't much to do other than sit down and have a picnic or walk around in circles while trying to strike up a conversation with somebody at least."

Dahyun sat in silence, listening to Mina talk about things she was enthusiastic about. Because this doesn't happen all the time, she might just appreciate whatever was going on.

"It could have been the movie theater if I hadn't known you'd sleep at movies and not truly enjoy them as much as your countenance suggests," Mina replied, gradually reaching her conclusion. "The arcade house, certainly, but it shuts at nine, so where else would you have been for the rest of the hours you were gone?" she said, her lips pursed. "That made me think twice."

"My final conclusion is that you were in a pub," she stated with a confident smile. "Yeah, and I was able to corroborate that because when you went in, you were kind of swaying, like you were a little drunk or something," she added.

"Wow," Dahyun exclaimed, both eyebrows arched in surprise.

"By the way, it also appears that you went out with a light-haired girl," Mina added, widening Dahyun's eyes in astonishment. "I'm not sure but is she light-haired or orange-haired?" the woman inquired again, pointing somewhere on Dahyun's white shirt under the jacket.

There was a strand of hair in it that was practically unnoticeable to everyone but Mina.

Dahyun was speechless when she realized what Mina was staring at. She would never have observed anything as well as she did. "I..." she paused for a moment before looking at the other woman, "I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter