Chapter Nine

Wrong Person, Right Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks of dating isn't much time, so there's still a lot to learn about each other. Very few adjustments are needed to strengthen the newly formed friendship. But none of them felt the pressure. It's true that Sana and Dahyun have just recently met, but perhaps their souls have known each other for so long that all they feel for each other is comfort and, above all, love.

There are no accidental meetings of souls, as the saying goes.

"I don't know what you do yet," Dahyun replied, resting between the cement railings on the antique shop's terrace. Her feet were dangling, so she kicked them both, one after the other.

"Your job," she stated more precisely, peering over at Sana, who sat alongside her but faced the other way.

After only one bite of ice cream in a cone. She smiled, as if she was aware that they had never discussed it. It's not that she didn't want to tell Dahyun about it. There are simply too many things to discuss, and she forgets about her job as a topic as soon as a conversation begins. It always ended up with her not having the chance to open it up.

"What do you think I do?" Sana inquired; hopeful that the other woman would guess correctly. She strongly doubts it, though.

"You look like someone..." Dahyun squinted her eyes and thought deeply. Sana, on the other hand, waited patiently yet expectantly. "...whom I would marry," Dahyun continued casually.

That made Sana's eyes roll. She should've known Dahyun wouldn't say anything serious. Well, unless...

"Come on, just tell me," the pale-skinned woman replied, giving up owing to her extreme curiosity.

"I'm a chef de cuisine," Sana replied quickly. "A head chef... like an executive one," she felt compelled to explain after noticing Dahyun's gaping mouth.

"Yeah, I understand," Dahyun responded, "I'm just surprised."

"Why is that?" Sana exclaimed.

"I was about to say rookie actress or trainee," the other woman said, smiling and bobbing her head. "Because you're really pretty," she went on, "you would pass as a member of TWICE or something."

"Now, you're kidding," Sana murmured, puckering her lips.

"Hey, I mean it," Dahyun said more seriously this time. "I just didn't say it because it would hurt if I was right."

"Hmm, why?"

"It would mean that if you became popular, I'd be basically at odds with the rest of the world," Dahyun replied. "No person would not love you." "With the exception of your ex... but I don't treat her as a person because she's stupid for taking you for granted."

"Then you're lucky I'm not a trainee... or a rookie actress," she murmured, pressing her shoulder against Dahyun's. "You want to be an artist, and I think I should start becoming worried too... about you becoming too popular."

"You have nothing to be worried about, lovey," Dahyun chuckled. "If that happens and I eventually become popular, I'll make use of that opportunity..."

Sana observed Dahyun as the woman abruptly lifted her feet to stand. She could tell something crazy was going to happen soon, but she was looking forward to it.

Dahyun raised her arms, presumably imagining herself as a successful, popular, and well-loved artist standing in front of hundreds and thousands of people.

"To tell the world about the lady who brought my dying dream back to life," she continued, turning to face Sana, and blithely pointing at her. "That's you, my love, my person."

Sana chuckled, clapping her hands in time. "Alright, superstar," she quipped. "I'm looking forward to it."

Dahyun sighed and turned her gaze to the night skies. "I'd have such a long way to go before that happens," she said, wondering if it was even possible.

"I'll be there for you through it all," Sana stated as she stood up to hug Dahyun from behind. Her arms circled the woman's waist, and her chin rested on one shoulder. "Wherever you're heading in life, I'll join you," she added.

"I'm already very lucky," Dahyun replied, smiling after hearing Sana's heartfelt sentiments. "I don't think there's anything left to ask for in the world when I have you."

"This is such a nice feeling," Sana replied, tightening her embrace.

"I'm suddenly ashamed."

"What do you mean?"

"The realization," Dahyun replied, prompting Sana to hum. "I just made you waffles for a late-night dinner," she explained, chuckling softly. "I ing made that for an executive chef... it's completely ridiculous," she kept going.

Sana couldn't refrain from laughing as she imagined how embarrassing it would have been if she had been in Dahyun's position instead. "I make a lot of judgments about the food that is presented to me," she confessed freely. "Even in the finest restaurants..."

"Thank heavens the waffles didn't turn you off."

"I'm positive I would have been," Sana laughed. "But it's you; I suppose there's an exception for everything." "That wasn't even the only thing about you that made me question what I had always assumed was right."

"I think I understand what you're saying."

"Yeah?"

"I am not someone of your type," Dahyun stated confidently. She sensed this the first time they met, and even though things have changed with Sana, she is still positive about it.

"Yeah," Sana chuckled. "And then you decided to defy my well-built standards."

"I don't see why that's my problem," Dahyun shrugged slightly. "Maybe I was born to be impervious to your preconceptions."

"You're always so proud," sighed Sana.

 

 

 

 

The moment was cut short by a vehicle that had stopped in front of the shop. Whoever drove it was unexpected because the shop had already closed, and Sana and Dahyun would be on their way to the hospital to meet Mr. Chun in a few minutes.

Dahyun was taken aback as Mina exited the car. This entire situation screams awkwardness and war, two things that don't exactly go together, all at the same time.

"That's Mina," Sana said quietly, clearly recognizing this woman as Japanese. And there was no way she could forget that one piece of information Dahyun had given her about her ex-girlfriend.

"Yes, that's her," Dahyun replied quietly. As soon as she felt Sana's embrace loosen, she drew the woman's arms back to her waist. "No, we don't have to act like we're not dating because we are," she stated. "I'm not hiding it, and if I would, definitely not to her."

 

Dahyun and Sana sat next to one other, while across them sat Mina, who glanced from one woman to the other, clearly sensing the unnecessary tension. She had no idea Dahyun would be with Sana, and if she had, she would not have considered not meeting the Korean woman at all.

Yet, by then, it was too late.

A Pocha Street was the nearest place for them to dine. Pocha, the short form of pojangmacha, is a sort of tent bar that provides cheap and good street food, as well as the famed soju drink.

Sana ordered spicy rice cakes as well as a bowl of mussel soup. Dahyun, on the other hand, enjoyed something that not everyone would.

She ordered a sea snail soup and a spicy ramyeon to go with the first dish. Another oddity, at least for non-Koreans, is Dahyun's preference of pouring soju into the sea snail soup. She refers to it as the ultimate pocha experience, to which Sana and Mina could only say thanks but no thanks to.

Mina was served seasoned squid and live octopus on platters. She only grew to love the latter because of Dahyun back then.

"I'm heading back to the US in two days," Mina said, breaking the silence. She knew neither of the two women would say anything. "I thought I should say my goodbyes before leaving."

Sana's eyebrows were raised upon hearing that. She could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter