Skeptical

Don't Leave Me Again

Day by day, with each second that was ticking on the clock, Donghae and Eunhyuk were becoming closer. As if there was a tying knot between them, they were always together. Donghae was contented with Eunhyuk by his side; it was crystal clear for everybody to notice it. Certainly, it was quite suspicious to see the couple that interacted more than necessary at school. However, the idea of dating in public never crossed their mind. Donghae thought it was safer for their blossoming bond to be concealed. They dated surreptitiously behind people back.

Not even their moms knew.

At school, as common as it would be, Heechul kept teasing the sweet couple incessantly. Eunhyuk and Donghae were feeling bothered initially but grown to get used to it. Donghae had assured Eunhyuk that Heechul was just being caring towards him. He knew Heechul since the first time he stepped into this school. Heechul had been taking care, well mostly, of him since then.

Though the couple’s bond was not public, everyone could tell their deep relationship by just looking at the overload friendliness at school.

Nonetheless, no one knew the real story; how far the pair had gone. Students should be able to tell the perceptible changes in Donghae. His mounting ego had totally vanished with the presence of Eunhyuk. Everybody was curious. How can he change his heart all of a sudden when everybody knew the sad catastrophe that traumatized him for two years?

No one knew his feeling.

 


 

It was a typical school day. Eunhyuk and Donghae were in their P.E lesson. They were playing soccer at the field; it was their favorite game. They were in the same team to their luck. Look like God would not separate them.

Donghae ran near to Eunhyuk to wait for the rolling ball. He looked at the way Eunhyuk controlled the ball skillfully, not to be snatched away by the players of the opposite team. The surrounding players made it somewhat, hard for Eunhyuk to pass the ball to Donghae.

Donghae continued to run in Eunhyuk’s speed so he can receive the ball safely. He kept his head turned to Eunhyuk’s direction, focusing on the ball. Unexpectedly, a tall tough figure appeared in front of Donghae. He was not alert enough to stop himself. Minho, who happened to be the person, accidentally tripped Donghae up.

Donghae fell and rolled a few times on the mucky ground. Dirt and mud covered parts of his shirt and trousers. The mud soiled him pretty much. He groaned. It was not because of the pain but the dirty blotches on his clothes. He knew he was going to be lectured by his mom later at home, if the dirt was indelible.

The coach in charge blew his whistle. Eunhyuk who was unaware of the situation stopped running with the ball. He let the ball rolled and turned around to look at Donghae. He was surprised to see Donghae sitting on the ground. Minho, who was standing beside him, lent his hand out to Donghae.

“I’m sorry I tripped you up,” Minho apologized to Donghae.

Donghae shook his head. He grabbed the hand handing out and used it as a support to lift his off the ground. As soon as he was on his feet, Donghae dusted the dirt on his trousers.

“It’s okay. This often happens during games, right?” Donghae said.

Minho helped Donghae to remove the mud on his back because it was unreachable for the owner. Donghae thanked Minho and smiled at him. Meanwhile, Eunhyuk paced quickly towards Donghae. He needed to make sure his lover was all right. Heechul who was a little nearer to Donghae than him was confused when Eunhyuk went first. He scratched his head and unknowingly spoke his thought aloud.

“Eunhyuk looks like his boyfriend is hurt. Weird,” Heechul said, pacing at casual rate to Donghae.

Most of the people around him heard his thought. They took no interest in the words. Donghae, who heard the line of Heechul, motioned for Eunhyuk to go away. At first, Eunhyuk ignored it and continued but then it clicked his mind. Their relationship was not supposed to be too open or suspicious.

He quickly turned a few angles and pretended he was walking out of the field. Fortunately, it was the same direction to the entrance. Somehow, it could lessen Heechul’s dubiousness of their bond. Donghae smiled inwardly. Eunhyuk understood him; he was happy.

“It’s okay, Minho. I can clean myself. Thanks, anyway,” Donghae assured, shooing Minho away.

“Okay. I’m sorry again,” Minho replied, turning away.

The instant Minho disappeared from his view, Heechul arrived. Heechul curved a small smile on his lips, looking at the younger. He tried to clean as much as he could reach. An inaudible chuckle escaped his mouth.

“Why are you laughing?” Donghae asked; since he heard it.

“Nothing. It’s quite funny watching you rolled down just now,” Heechul said, chuckling again.

Donghae pouted a little like a kid. It was sporadic to see Donghae acting this way but Heechul had seen much. He smiled.

“Never mind, hyung. I can handle this myself,” Donghae said.

“Sure? Where are you going to wash all of this dirt?” Heechul asked.

“The restroom, of course.” Donghae answered nonchalantly.

“Want me to accompany you there?” Heechul asked, showing his caring side.

“No, it’s okay. It’s not like I’m new here,” Donghae said, starting to walk.

“I’m just worried about you. You’ve changed, Hae,” Heechul admitted, walking beside Donghae to the entrance of field.

“Really? How much?” Donghae asked casually.

“Don’t know. Anyway, don’t take too much time, okay?” Heechul said, as they arrived at the entrance.

“Okay. Thanks, hyung,” Donghae thanked, feeling a little awkward calling him ‘hyung’.

They parted their way. Donghae walked, occasionally scratching his uncomfortable body. He pushed open the door of the boys’ restroom and entered it. He paced to the sink and looked at the reflection of himself on the mirror. He did not look too bad. There was still ‘Donghae’ in the reflection.

He turned the tap on and washed his sticky hands. A creaking sound flowed from the furthest stall of the toilet. Donghae did not care about the noise and continued letting the water cleaned his arms. He leaned into the sink and washed his face. He rubbed his face with his palms to remove the little dirt.

Out of blue, his sight was covered by a pair of hands. Donghae freaked out and yelped lightly. The person shushed him down and uncovered the hands. Donghae quickly looked at reflection of the person on the mirror. He was smiling at him sneakily. A tiny curve formed on his lips.

“Hyukkie, don’t freak me out like that again,” Donghae whined like a child.

“Hehe. Sorry,” Eunhyuk apologized.

Donghae sighed and looked back at his reflection. He washed his face again and wiped away the water from his face. His boyfriend, Eunhyuk tried to help. He wetted his hand and cleaned off the dirt on Donghae cheeks. He pinched those squish-able cheeks of Donghae.

Suddenly, Eunhyuk coiled his arms around Donghae’s waist. He back-hugged the younger and put his chin on Donghae’s shoulder. Donghae was surprised but melted into the warm embrace in no matter of second. Eunhyuk never failed in making him feeling comfy. He sighed again. They stayed in the position for a good minute.

Eunhyuk moved a bit and craned towards Donghae. He planted a kiss on Donghae’s cheek, turning it rosy immediately. Donghae chuckled and the sweet smile never left his face. Eunhyuk grinned secretly, staring at Donghae as if he was looking at an angel. Indeed, he was. Donghae had his unique attraction that no one could resist. His cherubic face was irresistible.

“I need to wash quickly, Hyuk-ah. Heechul will be worried if I come late to class,” said Donghae, refocusing on cleaning and changing.

“A few minutes won’t bite you,” Eunhyuk whispered, blowing warm air at Donghae’s ear.

Donghae uncoiled Eunhyuk’s arms that were draping around him. He reached for his bag and ped it. He took out his school uniform. Eunhyuk suddenly grabbed Donghae’s hands to stop him. Donghae looked at Eunhyuk as if to ask ‘why’. Eunhyuk pecked on Donghae’s lips with no hint.

“Eunhyuk, I need to change,” Donghae whined.

Eunhyuk hummed but stayed immobile. He kept his gaze connected to Donghae’s face. Donghae sighed and turned to face Eunhyuk. He breathed in and looked into Eunhyuk’s eyes.

“Look here, Jae. I need to change real quick, okay?” Donghae said, sounding like he was talking to a toddler.

Eunhyuk let Donghae go and stepped backwards. Donghae smiled as a ‘thank you’ and reminded his mind to make up some time for Eunhyuk later. He stopped for a while to think. It would eat up his time if he rushed to the boys’ changing room now. He decided to enter one of the stalls and change despite the not-so-good condition.

Suddenly, something clicked Eunhyuk’s mind.

Wait, he called me ‘Jae’, Eunhyuk thought, frowning in deep thought.

 


 

Loud mixed students’ sighs filled the air as the school bells rang for the last time on that day, ending the tedious school session. Majority of the students were gathering their belongings hastily; almost half of them had already piled out of the school compounds. On the other hand, it was vice versa for both Eunhyuk and Donghae. They deliberately slowed down their pace as they wished to be together longer in school. After school, truly, was the best time for them to expose their true colour of an illegal “dating couple” bond.

Donghae had done with putting his things into his backpack when Eunhyuk was properly organizing his books in his bag. The childish one of them was staring naughtily at the other who was busily arranging the books that kind of messed his table. When Eunhyuk was trying to collect the books on his table into his hands, Donghae, being an immature boy, mischievously took the books first and engulfed them into his hug.

“Hae-ssi, what are you doing? Hand me back my books,” Eunhyuk said; his hand was readily out towards Donghae.

“No, I’m not giving them to you. Get it yourself,” Donghae replied, sticking his tongue out at Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk tried to grab the books from the playful boy. He stepped closer to Donghae and swiftly tried to reach his hands for the books. Donghae turned his back at Eunhyuk, in effort to hide the books from the owner’s sight but ended up being back-hugged. They both solidified in the position, feeling each other’s body warmth.

“Aww… baby. You’re really naughty, eh? Give me the book now or else,” Eunhyuk warned with a smirk sprouting on his lips; his words vanish into the air.

“What? Try me,” Donghae said with a smile titivating his visage, simultaneously trying to flee from Eunhyuk undeniably cozy embrace.

Eunhyuk was quick enough to immediately caught Donghae’s wrist and pulled him close to his body. The tips of their noses touched. Donghae beamed at his failure and streamed out chuckles.

“Once you’re with me, you can never get away,” Eunhyuk whispered; voice was husky.

Those cheesy words actually burnt Donghae’s cheeks up to a certain degree. Eunhyuk arms s downwards slowly. He took his books that were previously in Donghae’s hands and kept in his bag. He pulled Donghae’s wrist and made him walk next to him as they ambled their way out of the room.

“Enough, baby. Let’s go now,” Eunhyuk said.

It was a bit unusual for two male students to stay in class after school and tease each other, which eventually led into hugs and excessive skinship. However, in the two boys’ eyes, which were currently in love with each other, these were nothing wrong or immoral for them. The only thing that would fret them was if someone else caught them and the thing, they should explain later. Neither Eunhyuk nor Donghae had thought of any sensible and commonsensical excuse, if they ever were caught, doing lovers’ stuffs someday.

Donghae followed Eunhyuk, tailing him faithfully on his side, preferably not asking masses of pointless questions like those that he always did every sole day. When they arrived at the bus stop, Eunhyuk’s chauffeur was already waiting for him. Eunhyuk stopped, automatically, bringing Donghae to a halt too.

“It’s been awhile since we hang out together. Let’s go somewhere today?” Eunhyuk stated, the last line sounded more like a query.

In some way, the words that just came out of Eunhyuk’s mouth generally sounded a little bit forcing Donghae to agree with it. It was not as if he would not do so. He really missed to hang out with Eunhyuk out of school. He took some time to respond to his boyfriend.

“Hmm, I -” It still took Donghae few long seconds to reply to Eunhyuk.

“Cut that lame excuse of yours. Come with me today,” Eunhyuk said, shaping a grin.

Eunhyuk did not waste any more second and opened the door. He pulled Donghae into the car and buckled up his seatbelt. He closed the door before buckling his own seatbelt. Donghae just stared blankly at the other boy. Eunhyuk really had a thing about pulling Donghae into his car. He did this before and it seemed as if the odd habit was not ending any soon.

 


 

They went for coffee that evening. Donghae was in charge to buy the coffees while Eunhyuk waited patiently at his seat. Shortly later, Donghae walked to their table whilst carrying a brown tray of two cups of hot coffees. Eunhyuk, who was uninformed of the hot coffee, took a sip. A quick reflex action showed when his tongue contacted the hot brown aromatic drink.

“Ha-ha … Idiot, can’t you at least wait for the coffee to cool down a bit?” Donghae asked, laughing at Eunhyuk.

“What did you call me just now?” Eunhyuk replied with another question, pouting.

“Idiot,” Donghae answered in a mere reply.

Donghae was not done teasing him since school ended just now. Eunhyuk was a little flustered by Donghae’s words. He sneakily tried to seize Donghae’s hand that was resting on the table to kind somewhat punish him. However, Donghae pulled his hand reflexively quick enough away.

“Hey, watch out. This is a café. It’s public,” Donghae said, a little frowning.

“It’s okay, Hae. Let them know that we’re both in love,” Eunhyuk said; him and his cheesy words again.

Proceeding to a few minutes of light chatting, the coffees were already cooled down. Eunhyuk halted the chatting and reached his hand for the warm cup. He brought the warm cup to his lips and took a sip of his coffee.

“Eek, what type of coffee is this?” Eunhyuk asked, his countenance showing disliking.

Eunhyuk put his cup of coffee down back on the table. He raised his eyebrows at Donghae. He definitely was not going to finish the whole cup. Donghae made a questioning face.

“The one that I usually buy. What’s wrong?” Donghae asked as he was a little concerned.

“It’s too bitter for my liking. I cannot drink that.” Eunhyuk said, taking swig of plain water to get rid of the bitter taste.

“Is it? I thought you love that black coffee so much. You always order that when we are here, Jae,” Donghae said; an apologetic expression was on his face.

“I did? Huh?” Eunhyuk mumbled, getting clueless of Donghae’s words.

Eunhyuk looked at Donghae with a bewildered look. Me, drinking that black coffee? I never favor for bitter stuffs, Eunhyuk thought; his eyes seemed to bore into Donghae’s face as he mused deeply. Eunhyuk took another quick sip of plain water again before something knocked his mind again. He stared at Donghae in a kind of inexpressible expression. His mouth grew a small gap. Meanwhile, Donghae continued savoring his coffee. What did he call me just now, Eunhyuk. He drew in a breath.

“Hae,” he called; he was about to pour the question out of his mouth.

BEEP … BEEP …

Donghae’s phone chanted a short simple tune, cutting across Eunhyuk’s word. Donghae, who was initially unaware of Eunhyuk’s need of his attention, dug his hand into his pocket and fished out his phone. He checked his phone and found a new message in the inbox. He read the message and let out a chuckle.

“It’s my mom. She’s home. I thought she’d be out with her friends,” Donghae informed, typing his reply.

Eunhyuk heaved out a disappointed sigh. Maybe I should drop the topic. It might be his unintended slip-up, Eunhyuk thought. Just as Donghae sent the message, he looked up at Eunhyuk. He made a sorry face.

“I think she wants me to come home, Hyuk,” Donghae said, doing a minuscule pout.

They both stayed in silence when the familiar short tune split through the stillness. Donghae took out his phone again and checked the new message. No doubt, it was the reply from his mom. He read the reply and the tiny pout seemed to be visibly shown. Eunhyuk got the idea and gave Donghae a reassuring smile. He reached his forefinger for the younger boy’s nose and gave a light tap on it.

“Next time, okay?” Eunhyuk said, looking at Donghae.

Donghae reluctantly nodded his head.

 


 

Days had passed and it was already weekend. Donghae and Eunhyuk planned out to have fun the whole day seeing the fact that their preceding hangout was disrupted by Donghae’s mom. They promised each other that no one would disturb their day. Both of them had formerly told their moms about their hangout. They were as keen as mustard to spend their precious time together.

Eunhyuk had messaged Donghae at the crack of the dawn that he needed to go to his house by himself. Since the chauffeur of the family could not make it on the weekend, he could not pick Donghae up at his house like usual. Donghae agreed and got ready as quick as he could to jog his way to Eunhyuk’s house.

It did not consume much of his time to reach Eunhyuk’s residence; what was more, he had memorized the shorter route to his boyfriend’s house. Eunhyuk’s mom welcomed Donghae with a hospitable beautiful smile on her visage as she opened the door for him. She was really kind towards him. He felt welcomed in the huge house.

“Perhaps, Eunhyuk is still getting ready in his room. Why don’t you go upstairs and knock on his door? I’m going out, okay?” Eunhyuk’s mum said, gesturing at the flight of stairs.

Donghae nodded his head and made his way to the staircase. He climbed on the stairs carefully and walked straight to Eunhyuk’s room. Being there before, he knew really well that the wooden door with gold-colored doorknob was the threshold to his lover’s room. He knocked on the door a couple of times and received nothing but pure silence from the inside as reply. His grip tautened on the doorknob; he twisted it shortly later.

“Eunhyuk?” he called, neither loud not soft.

Not a single soul replied to his calling. He swept a look around the neat area, seeking out for any trace of his Eunhyuk. He called again. This time, he heard a faint noise from the bathroom. With a smile playing on his thin lips, he stepped towards the door of the bathroom. Instantaneously, right after giving the door a rhythm of knocking, he pushed the door open.

“Hyukkie-ah?” he called, rather loud of the confidence that Eunhyuk would be there.

Indeed, he was. Eunhyuk looked up at him with a pair of eyes that were widely opened; his whole body was stock-still. Donghae blushed as his eyes ran along the milky unblemished skin of Eunhyuk. Pastel cherry shaded on Eunhyuk’s cheeks as he, somehow, could feel the odd look Donghae was presenting on his half- appearance.

Eunhyuk cleared his throat deliberately loud, as though it could clear the slight awkwardness surrounding them. He walked out of the bathroom and to his closet. Donghae tailed him afterwards and stood near the bathroom door. Eunhyuk’s no-flaw back was facing Donghae. Donghae’s countenance changed a little as he feasted his eyes on the bare skin of Eunhyuk. His eyebrows were sewn together as something came by his mind.

“Where’s the scar on your back that you used to have?” Donghae asked, out of blue.

By the second those words flowed out of Donghae’s mouth, Eunhyuk was opening the door of the closet, vaguely ignoring Donghae. Suddenly, it was his turn to get his eyebrows crossed by the seemingly ridiculous question that just came out of Donghae.

“What scar are you talking about, Hae?” Eunhyuk asked, combing his hairs with his fingers while his eyes looked at Donghae.

“B-but …,” Donghae’s words were kept unspoken in him.

“I’m getting ready. You go and wait downstairs, Hae,” Eunhyuk said, pulling Donghae’s arm.

Donghae stepped out of the room as he was shooed away by the owner.

 


 

Eunhyuk’s mom was out, meeting some clients. He kindly invited Donghae to have breakfast with him. With an almost-empty stomach and the walking he did to reach Eunhyuk’s house on the early morning previously, it was nearly impossible for Donghae to turn down the invitation. Presently, two of them sat on the table.

“I’ll make something for you,” Donghae said, though he was the guest.

“Well, thank you, Hae,” Eunhyuk said, voice sounding somehow in monotone.

Minutes later, Donghae, who had been at the kitchen since Eunhyuk came downstairs, materialized from the kitchen with a plate in his hands. He brought the food to the table. A sweet smile was on his charming face. He placed the plate on the table in front of Eunhyuk, who was drinking strawberry milk.

“Here it is! Your favorite scrambled egg, Jae,” Donghae said casually.

Scrambled egg …. Jae … again, Eunhyuk thought.

CLINK!

Everything was silent after the unexpected noise. Eunhyuk’s grip on the glass was too firm that his knuckles almost turned white. Some of the strawberry milk spilled onto the table. Do not even mention about Donghae’s reaction. He was wholly shocked with Eunhyuk’s sudden offensive action. Screeching sound filled the air due to the friction between the chair legs and the floor, as Eunhyuk stood up.

Donghae was clueless. Without words said or look given, Eunhyuk turned his torso and walked away from the table. He climbed on the stairs without ado, leaving the confused Donghae behind. Donghae quickly trailed Eunhyuk and climbed the stairs.

“Eunhyuk!” He shouted, calling for the older boy.

Eunhyuk did not reply and continued his journey on the stairs. With a faster speed, Donghae sprinted carefully on the stairs and seized Eunhyuk’s arm. Eunhyuk struggled to escape from the surprisingly firm grip. Nearly losing patience, Donghae pinned Eunhyuk to the wall, trapping him between his arms.

“What’s wrong with you?” Donghae asked, frowning a little.

“Do you ever realize that you’ve called me with ‘Jae’ few times lately?” Eunhyuk yelled, face-hardened.

“What?” Donghae asked with his eyes widened.

Eunhyuk pushed Donghae off him and stomped upstairs to his room.

You’re acting strange, Donghae. The slip-ups name, the coffee thingy, the scar, and now, the scramble egg. Not an iota of them is my experience! Hae, are you seeing me as … Jaehyuk all of this time, Eunhyuk mused as he closed the door behind him.

Donghae, do you really love me … or Jaehyuk, Eunhyuk inquired inwardly, wishing for any answer, as he looked at the white ceiling of his room.

 


 

I’m very sorry for the ridiculously tardy (rather lame) update.  I am a bad author, I know. So, how’s it after a long time? picture credit to weibo (idk from who)