Chapter 3

The Blue Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Seven seconds? Eight seconds? That sounds about right. The gravitational force which is valued at nine point eight meter per second square multiplied by the height. Wait is it the height or time?"

 

Pathetic. The single word that came to mind as the continues pacing occupied Karina's eyes for the last thirty minutes. Was this the mortal that needed saving? She doesn't think so. The woman on the other side of the bridge wasn't determined. She wouldn't jump. She could feel it. Every single step was uncertain, shaky. She was afraid, that Karina could tell. 

 

She knows fear when she see it every time it is reflected in a dying person's eyes. She recognizes fear when the sudden rush of heart beat drums inside a person's chest just when realization dawns that death was inevitably upon them. But somehow the situation in front of her gives out a different kind of fear. 

 

Fear of one's self? Fear of ending it all on her hands? Fear of what? That she couldn't single out.

 

Lucifer must have given her the wrong information she thought as she refuse to acknowledge the lack of her input of the situation.

 

"It's the height right? Or was it?" The continues self talk of the woman just across the bridge pulled Karina out of her mind. Her brows shooting up at the sudden persistence of the human.

 

The woman balls up her fist and started hitting her head. "Think, think!" That had to hurt, Karina murmurs to herself.

 

"Mom..."

"Dad..."

"Grandma..."

"God..."

 

"I'm sorry..."

 

The woman whispers into the air consecutively. Her breath made visible by the chilly autumn weather. Karina's lips pulls up into a smug expression. A chuckle escapes her lips. A sign that she's quite enjoying the little play before her eyes.

 

Several trucks passes by doesn't seem to faze the woman. "Okay, you can do it. Just one step and it's all over." With her overly large black coat hanging on her tiny shoulders, the woman steps closer to the iron railing of the bridge. Her hands sitting on top of the cold flat surface.

 

"You've been doing the right thing all your life..." The woman whispers with her eyes closed. Her chin pointing up at the dark sky. A single tear managed to escape from her eyes but before the next one could follow she was already wiping her eyes and cheeks dry as a cold shiver run down her spine. She wasn't going to back down.

 

"You'll be forgiven this one time right?" She nodded absentmindedly to answer her own question.

 

"Yeah. The angels surely know my good deeds."

 

Fool. A pathetic fool, Karina thought. Did she not read the grand scripture? Asking for forgiveness after doing one of the biggest sins in the holy one's book?

 

Karina's certain that the woman would end up in hell. Somehow she knows that the soul at the other side of the bridge wasn't deserving of the fate that she would subject herself into. Her soul feels light and warm that much she can tell. She's too loyal to a God who doesn't even care if she exist. Maybe she does deserve to go to hell. Let the almighty beings see her soul burn and gnaw in the fire of sins for eternity. Let them see what they loss for keeping the air get to their gigantic head for the longest time.

 

In another circumstance maybe Karina did turn away and just let herself cherish the power that Lucifer have granted her for the last few remaining hours. She then may have taken a life of two after missing some nights in her killing routine. 

 

 

 

With exhausted limbs and having little to no sleep Giselle wearily walked in The Underground which is a bar for demons and other vile creatures that habitates the Earth. The place need not any guards or bouncers to secure the door or perimeter because no heaven sent in their right mind would even try to wander around the said establishment within a reasonable radius. However, Giselle is one of the few selected exception all thanks to her connection with Karina.

 

As expected, the tables were empty at this time of the day but her eyes immediately round up the place only to see the devil she was looking for sitting all alone on the counter with a drink in her hand.

 

"Well you look like ." Giselle commented as she slides to the seat next to Karina. It was a rare sight to see the devil distraught. Her perfect long jet black hair was unkempt and her usual spotless black suit has some creases here and there. 

 

The rumors must have been true.

 

Karina snorts after giving the angel a run about of her own appearance. "I highly suggest that you look into a mirror yourself." 

 

Giselle lets out a chuckle. The early morning light hasn't gotten through the devil it seems. "A train in the metropolitan area lost its break last night." Her brows slightly creases as she recalls the eventful evening that she had not just a few hours ago. "Almost all angels in the vicinity and near cities gathered to save and lessen the casualties which surprisingly only led to minor injuries."

 

"Aren't you supposed to be happy with that?" Karina asks after seeing the uneasiness in the angel's eyes since she have always wore her heart in her sleeve just like what the mortals like to describe it.

 

A slow smile crept up to Giselle's face. "I am." She answers to convince Karina and herself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter