Chapter 2

The Blue Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Four tables to the left sat two angels as they watch the scene play out before their very eyes. Under the open sky, near the side of the road, a man on his mid twenties sat comfortably on his chair, listening earnestly to the woman sitting across from her.

 

Giselle relaxed back on her seat. The man leans forward whispering something to the woman that both made them smiling after.

 

 "I think I like this one better." The angel sitting beside her hummed in agreement. "A real gentleman. Opened the car door and everything for her earlier." Ramiel informed her. With dark blonde hair and deep blue eyes, the angel warmly looked upon the couple in front of them. 

 

"You'll be returning sooner than you thought."   Giselle murmured. Ramiel have roamed the earth for almost five decades waiting for the specific woman to reincarnate. Giselle have witnessed him worked hard for his mission. She knew that he rightfully deserve this one.

 

"If this one goes well."

 

"She deserves a chance at love in this lifetime."

 

"Husband cheated? Died?"

 

"The latter. Got widowed at a young age. Her husband got sent to the war two days after their marriage. The troops that defeated their city's army attacked in the middle of the night and slaughtered children and women alike. She died taking a spear to the stomach trying to protect her younger brother."


"She'll have a great life this time. I know you'll make sure of it." Giselle reassured him, patting his back to justify her words. Ramiel humbly accepted. He knew that she always meant well.

 

The bill has been paid, the man have escorted his date back to the comfort of his car yet the two unworldly spectators remained glued to their chairs. Both were satisfied enough with what they have seen most especially Ramiel. The said angel stretches out his arms as he savors the chilly breeze of the night together with the sound of passing vehicles a few feet away from them.

 

"But hey," He calls out the attention of his companion who have been staring at the wooden table for far too long. "Don't you think it's eerily quite tonight? I haven't seen one spawn of the devil after sundown." Despite the easy atmosphere of the night, the unusual flow of activities weren't lost on him. Trouble should have become more abundant by now since devils preferred the shadow of the night.

 

"You're right. I can't seem to find or sense Karina either." 

 

"They're not preparing for battle are they?" Ramiel scoffs as the idea. But Giselle saw his eyes waver for a brief second. He was never the bravest of angels.

 

"I highly doubt that." The sigh of relief coming out of Ramiel didn't went unnoticed. "Certainly He'll send someone to inform us if anything of that scale would be coming." Giselle mutters. Her eyes finding comfort upon the clear skies above them.

 

"Look, Boban is over there." Ramiel quirks up, pointing at the building behind Giselle where a twenty foot giant could be seen walking slowly with his shoulders slumped at his sides. "Let's ask him. Maybe he knows where Karina is and the other devils." A large smile was plastered on his face obviously feeling that he just came out with a smart decision.

 

But Giselle knew otherwise. They may be known for being short tempered but giants are loyal creatures. And the way Boban sticks with Karina told Giselle everything she needed to know.

 

"I'm not sure about that." Her eyes following each step that the giant makes.

 

"Why? He's about the most gentle giant I've ever met which is quite shocking for his size." Ramiel points at Boban as he stepped aside to let a human pass even though he knew that the human couldn't see nor feel his presence unless he wanted them to.

 

"Make no mistake about his tamed attitude. Boban might be nice for a devil but he'll probably wouldn't rat out Karina."


"Karina? What about the beautiful Karina?" A tiny screeching voice pierced the ears of the angels. Their heads snapping at the tree behind them where an imp showed himself from concealment. "Are you two plotting against her? I most certainly need to tell her about this." Merwin fires at them. The three foot creature clung on the trunk of the tree as the dark red color of his skin blended perfectly with the night.

 

"Hold your pants, Merwin. I'm just looking for her." Ramiel explained thoroughly  not wanting any mess at such a rather peaceful night.

 

Unlike giants, who mostly kept to themselves, imps like Merwin are naturally mischievous and serves higher or stronger creatures.

 

Merwin scuttles out of his hold from the tree and flutters his wings at the angels. An act showing his confidence.

 

"Look all you want angel but the blue devil wouldn't even graze your presence tonight. She has got more important things to do at at the moment than to take a silly mortal's life." He spats out the last few words like venom in his mouth.

 

"What do you mean?" Giselle wanted to know more. Whatever concerns Karina, is hers too.

 

"Exactly what I said." Merwin answered playfully. Despite of his size, imps weren't fools. "Have you gone deaf angel?" His tiny head cocked to one side with a sly grin on his face.

 

"Why you little! Would you like me to cut off your tiny devil limbs off?" Ramiel bursts off at the playful insult pointed at Giselle. His hand was ready to summon his sword.

 

"Only if you're fast enough to catch me eh!" With a few flock of his wings, Merwin was already out and about with a triumphant smile.

"Boban you dumbo giant wait up!" Were the last words that they heard from the imp as he joined the giant into the road heading back to the trees.

 

The two angels could only shake their head at the fiasco of the imp. "For a creature his kind it's sort of amusing to see his offered loyalty to Karina. The trait is rare to see amongst imps."

 

Giselle couldn't argue with that. Unlike giants who were naturally loyal, imps are more like servants who were subdued to submission by higher creatures.
 
"As someone who have seen Karina throughout the centuries on end, I kind of understand why Boban and Merwin are like that towards the devil." Giselle's eyebrows knitted as she tries to find a logical way on how to put into words the complexity of the devil.

 

"Underneath those blue flames is..." Warmth? Reason? Kindness? Giselle found it impossible to finish her words but thankfully, Ramiel pitched in to take her out if her misery.

 

"Whatever it is, don't let your guard down. Just because she hasn't slain an angel doesn't mean that she couldn't. She's a threat, a very powerful one. Not just for humans but also for us."

 

 

 


It was of no use. It was nearing midnight and no sight of the blue devil can found in the whole city. Maybe Merwin was telling the truth, Giselle thought walking around the now silent road.

 

"Giselle!" A voice called her. The angel looked back but was only met a few passing cars on the road.

 

"Giselle!" The voice came again. She fully turned around this time just to make sure she wouldn't miss the owner of the voice but again there was nothing. The angel held her coat closer to her body and continued walking.

 

You're just tired, she said to herself. It indeed has been a long day. Without the devil to look over, the rise and fall of the sun seemed to have taken more time than it normally would. Having decided to call it a night, Giselle stopped walking and was about to fly away when the voice came again.

 

"Right here angel!" There it was, on the branch of a huge tree on the side of the street hanging upside down. The bat flew its way to where Giselle was standing and showed its true form. Talia, a devil known to spread gossip around earth and in the underworld.

 

She took a step forward making sure she was close enough to the angel. "I know where she is." Her split tongue cut in the middle showing after she her lips in anticipation at Giselle's reaction. Again the angel knew better. She have been walking amongst evil for more than a millennium now that she have learned to not fall for their taunts and traps too easily.

 

"The one you've been looking for." Talia added when the angel showed no sign of interest in what she have just said. The devil hummed playfully knowing that the an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter