Chapter 8

Anyone But Him | JJK
Please log in to read the full chapter

My mother filled me in about the procedures of a divorce the next morning.

"It'll normally take a month or two, seeing as the both of us, meaning your father and I, have all agreed to it. The court is already looking into the matter, and it's estimated to take place next month. Oh, yes, you don't need to be present at court, so you can stay at home."

I breathed a sigh of relief. The last thing I'd want was for the divorce to have a conflict. If it was going to be good and well, that was all I was hoping for.

My mother sank onto my bed. "After so many years, I still don't particularly like the mattress," she commented. I gave her an amused look, and we all laughed.

"Chaewon, stop it with the look. You never fail to make me laugh, eh?" my mother said, smiling warmly.

I sat down next to her on my bed, hands holding her shoulders. "Yes, omma, I'm your happiness." I pulled another face, expecting my mother to burst out laughing again, but this time, she managed to keep a straight face.

I pouted and moved back to my seat. There was still much to do for my homework.

My phone rang beside me. My mother and I looked at each other, and I took the phone. "It's Kyung Ah," I said, picking up the call.

"Hello?" I said, aware that my mother was well watching me and probably wouldn't tolerate the nonsense that Kyung Ah usually joked about.

Kyung Ah's voice went from the line. "Hello Chaewon? I was just wondering if you'd be free today for self studying in school?"

"Let me ask my omma, hang on-" I cupped my hand over the microphone of my phone. "Omma? Can I go for self study in school later?"

My mother crossed her arms and gave me a warning look. "First things first, Chaewon, you've literally went for yaja for three days this week already. Are you really going to stress yourself out?" she asked.

I hung my head and gave her a sheepish look. "But, omma, the exams are coming in two months' time. It's already almost September. My English is horrible, you know."

"Aish. Look how busy you are with school, my baby Chaewon." My mother stood up and started massaging my shoulders. Her expression was full of pity that looked fake, but I knew better. She wasn't that kind of person to fake concern. Also, she was my mother. If she wasn't the one to care for me, then who else was out there?

I pursed my lips. "Fine. But you must come back by two, understand?" my mother instructed sternly.

Nodding, I informed Kyung Ah that I could go with her. "Alright, let's meet at your house at 12."

After hanging up, I proceeded to stuff the homework and some of the textbooks and my personal notes into my school bag. Then I ushered my mother out of my room so I could change into my school uniform.

Busan Dong High School was very strict about attire and stuff, as are every high school. Even if we were going for self study during the weekends, we had to wear our school uniform.

Opening the door, I slung my bag over my right shoulder and walked down the stairs, careful not to slip on the slippery wooden floor with my socks. It was almost autumn now, but the weather wasn't that cold yet. It was only 28°C, according to the weather forecast on my phone. The temperature might well get much colder.

"Bye, omma," I said, waving goodbye to my mother. She gave me a tiny smile and waved to me as well.

Kyung Ah was just about reaching the yard of my house when I left my house. "Oo, anneonghaseyo Chaewon!" she said happily, skipping merrily over to me.

I examined her and she gave me a weird look, tilting her head. "Eh, what's up with you?" she asked.

I laughed. "I was about to ask what's up with you. Why are you so happy to see me? Is it your birthday today or something?" I checked the date on my phone.

"Nah. I'm just happy to escape my parents once in a while." Kyung Ah shifted her weight onto her left foot.

I gave her a slanted grin. "I know, right? It's always good to be out of your parents' visions for a while, even if it means studying." I sighed. "Aish. Speaking of studying, my English is still boo." I have Kyung Ah a thumbs down.

We were already on our way to school now. Kyung Ah hugged me, making me almost lose my balance and fall over.

"Gosh, Kyung Ah, you really are acting quite strange today!" I exclaimed, slowly pushing her away. She gave me a toothy grin like how a toddler would.

"I'm just trying to help, Chaewon. You said your English is bad. I'll tutor you."

My eyes widened. Kyung Ah, being my tutor? She must be the second top scorer in our class, after Mr. Big Bully Jeon Junk Kook.

I couldn't resist the temptation to give her a hug too. "Aww, Kyung Ah, my bestie for life," I gushed, squeezing her face. "Thank you so much."

Kyung Ah looked uncertain of what to do with me. "Ahem, okay, okay. Hajima (Stop it). Now you're acting like the

Please log in to read the full chapter