Chapter 7

Anyone But Him | JJK
Please log in to read the full chapter

That morning when I woke up, my parents were already dressing up for going to court.

Rubbing my eyes groggily, I watched as my mother put on her newest coat that I'd gotten for her on her birthday. This wasn't the best occasion I wanted to see my mother wearing a coat that I'd gotten her as a birthday present, but it was solely up to her.

My mother smiled when I caught her eye, the sides of her eyes crinkling. She was also wearing some tight blue jeans under her coat, which trailed until her thighs. "Do I look presentable, Chaewon?"

Putting on a cheerful smile, I gave her the thumbs up. I wasn't the least cheerful today. Why, you ask me? It was the day of my parents' divorce. I mean, duh. Today was the day I was hoping might not exist.

My father walked out of the bathroom. He was putting on his usual black tie, together with his best suit like how he dresses for work. Seeing his uncaring expression, I felt a new surge of anger in me. How could he act so plain when his wife and him were filing for a divorce that day?

I managed to compose myself. "Do you need me to gel your hair, sir?" I offered, figuring that it might be the last day that I might ever delight my father.

Most people might believe it was sarcasm when I called him sir, but what else could I call him? He wouldn't like it if I called him abeoji (father) or appa.

He seemed pleased with the fact that I called him such a respectable name. "Very well." He finished with his tie and retreated to the bathroom. "Come along, then." I followed in after him

Moistening his hair, I combed through it. My father's hair was slightly curly and brown, and I'd inherited it from him. Honestly, the only thing I liked about my father was his hair.

Then I applied some gel on my hand and shut the cap of the tube. It closed with a satisfying click. Slowly rubbing his scalp with the gel, I helped to make his hair look sleek and neat.

After combing some loose strands of his hair and his curly bangs. "It's done. Do you like it, sir?"

My father nodded with satisfaction, smiling like a madman. Without even saying thanks, he strode out of the bathroom.

I wanted to yell at him for being so disrespectful to his own daughter - or rather, former daughter, whatever, but shut my mouth. This might be the last day you'll see him. You surely don't want it to end on a sour note, do you?

Pouting, I slammed the tube of gel and my father's comb on the space beside the sink, then left the bathroom too after washing my hands to get rid of the sticky and oily gel.

"Hurry and get changed, Chaewon, or we would be late," my father ordered the moment I emerged from the bathroom. I nodded without looking at him and marched up the stairs. I was afraid I might explode from the anger bubbling up in me.

Shutting the door with a bang behind me, I jumped onto bed and laid there motionless for a while. My parents probably wouldn't like me taking my own sweet time to get ready, especially since we were going to court, but I had forebodings about the situation.

When I thought I was finally ready to face it, I rummaged through my closet and found my best clothes, the one I always wore for formal occasions - the navy blue long-sleeved dress shirt with a leather belt. It seemed a bit too mature, as how my mother put it, but hey, I was already in high school! I was mature.

My parents were already waiting as I got down the stairs. "You look lovely today, Chaewon," my mother said with a sad smile. "We're not sure if you should come or not, so it's best if you just came along in case."

She stared at my dress shirt. "Uh, I don't think it's necessary for you to wear such formal attire, but it's fine. Just in case."

My father turned his head away from us. "I will drive," he said flatly, before striding to the garage.

My mother shrugged helplessly. "He's always like that. But since we're already going to divorce, let's just forgive and forget, shall we? Anyways, there's no point to hold grudges," she said, lowering her voice.

I watched as my father disappeared into the car. "I can forget, but never forgive. After how he treated you like a useless gerbil? Nope."

"Chaewon, don't say that. He didn't actually... he did care for me. It's just that you always see the bad side of it." My mother turned around and drew in a sharp breath. "Never mind that. Let's enter the car."

***

My parents left me outside the court, in the car. "It will be quick, Chaewon," my mother reassured me, but I could tell even she was pretty nervous. "Just stay here and don't go anywhere, okay?"

I nodded and squeezed her hand. "Okay. Good luck, omma."
 

I watched as they hurried into the doors of the court, side by side. It would've even looked romantic if they were younger and wasn't walking into the court for a divorce.

I found myself staring at Kakao for no reason, even though I wasn't really thinking about it.

Please log in to read the full chapter