Chapter 2

Anyone But Him | JJK
Please log in to read the full chapter

Reader discretion warning: This chapter contains a few very minor cuss words.

***

The bell rang, signalling the end of the first period of self study. Kyung Ah and I looked at each other and we stood up, carrying our tables with us.

Teacher Nam was reprimanding a classmate for not doing his homework. I couldn't quite remember his name, but I thought it started with I or something.

"Self study is not the time to do homework!" Teacher Nam was shouting, pointing at the sheet of paper on the guy's table. "You had the whole weekend to finish, yet you couldn't do it!"

Kyung Ah gave me a sour look. I nodded, placing my table back at its place.

Jungkook's seat was not far from mine, just diagonally to the right of the front. He had dark brown hair like a bowl cut hairstyle, except maybe rounder. His dark brown eyes were quite cold to me. His mouth was curled into a smirk, and I knew immediately my life during lunch time wouldn't be easy.

Teacher Nam finished dealing with the student and went back to the front of the class. She took a look around the class. "What are you students looking at? Continue with your work!"

The students who'd been staring at her scolding the guy went back to their self studying.

"Chaewon," Kyung Ah called, showing me a science question from the science textbook. "Eotteokhae? (What to do?)"

I took the book over and read the question. "This isn't hard. You see..." I proceeded to explain the question to Kyung Ah. She was a diligent student and listened really carefully. Her brows were knitted tight with concentration.

"Gwenchana, gomapseumnida (thank you)."

Time passed faster than I could keep track. When I just thought it had only been a few minutes, Teacher Nam announced, "Alright Class 3A, your next period is language class. I want you to wait quietly while the next teacher is coming. Class monitor, please keep the class in check." She gave a long look at the class monitor before marching out of the classroom.

As usual, whenever the class was left unattended, it would get really chaotic. Most of the guys got out of their seats and started running for their friends, while some of those obnoxious girls sneaked out their makeup and started applying an extra layer of lip gloss or what not.

"Class, please quiet down!" the class monitor was pleading, but no one really heard him.

Kyung Ah and I didn't leave our seats. I wasn't going to risk my life just to get five minutes of freedom. Korean teachers were just na-da.

Jungkook rose from his seat, and I knew I was in hot water. He almost always came to torment me during that interval between classes.

"So, it seems you've got a new bestie, eh?" he mocked, stopping at my table. I chose to ignore him. He wasn't worth my time.

Everyone's eyes were on the kingka, which meant they were on me, too. Some of his cronies were urging him on, giving him the confidence boost.

Jungkook took a sweep around the class, then turned back to me. "Since Kyung Ah is on your side now, Chaewon, I will also make her life miserable for you two, shouldn't I?"

I couldn't take it any longer. First, he started strong-arming me, now it was Kyung Ah too? I felt guilty for befriending Kyung Ah. It was like I brought my burden everyone I went. If Kyung Ah was going to suffer under Jungkook, then I must well clear the air once and for all.

I stood up too. Everyone started oo-ing and ah-ing. They were always there for a good drama.

"Listen, Jeon Jungkook, I very much do not appreciate you pushing me around like some kind of weakling. Only people who are too weak bully people to make them feel stronger, and their targets are almost always people who they think are not strong enough. But I am strong, Jeon Jungkook, so get your dirty hands off me and go find some suitable targets for you and your stupid little minions!"

The class was silent, which I didn't think was a good thing. Jungkook was staring at me with a look of surprise, like he wasn't expecting me to stand up for myself. "Oh, and also, you should better leave Kyung Ah out of this," I added, giving his stomach a good push.

Even though I couldn't push Jungkook over, it always felt good when you know you'd successfully won an argument, especially someone who you'd finally put in his place. The class was giving Jungkook expectant looks. Some of the girls said, "Jungkook oppa! Teach that Chaewon girl a lesson for speaking to you like that."

I shot the girls a glare, and they shrank back into their seats. Yes, I finally understood the logic. Some people only respected authority. Once you were outspoken, they wouldn't dare to look down on you.

The next teacher came in: Teacher Do, our language class teacher. He was already fifty-plus years old, but was still quite kind to us, especially new students like me.

The s

Please log in to read the full chapter