Of memories & longing

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae glanced at Kyuhyun beside him, who had his head rested against the seat and staring at the rundown city they were passing by. He veered the car carefully past the ditches and cracks, avoiding any bumps.

The subway station was still far away and might take couple of hours to reach. His eyes drifted to the car stereo and a faint memory of playing songs on the radio came to him. Donghae sat straight at the recalled memory. 

"It's been months! When are you coming back?"  A man, same as in his previous memories asked. "You can't keep him waiting for long."

Truth be told, Donghae has no solid recollections of his real life, besides waking up in this game. This was the reason that when he started to remember the small bits of memories, interactions with two people he has never seen, he stopped talking to Alec altogether.

He was being lied to! Alec was just making excuses upon excuses to convince him that he is part of the game. A character, that assists the main player!

Before Kyuhyun showed up for his rescue, Donghae had gone days without water. Alec had been punishing him for not completing one of the tasks by cutting off the water supply. Being severely dehydrated Donghae collapsed in one of the rundown buildings beside a vending machine when he was fetching a drink from it. 

​​​​​​"Rest now. You have worked hard." This was the first time he heard a voice that felt familiar. A friendly voice of a man that he felt kinship to. He dreamed of a young child sitting beside him patting his forehead, face blurred, similar to the man standing beside him. The man spoke up, ​"Give him a kiss and he will get better soon."  The child immediately pulled his hand and peppered it with delicate, small kisses. ​​"Get well soon. I miss you", the child said in a quiet voice.

When Donghae came to his senses, the building he was in was completely dark except the light emanating from the vending machine beside him. He reached in his pocket to remove a coin and put it in the machine, desperately hoping for the soft drink can to tumble out. As soon as the can rolled down, Donghae opened it up, the carbonated drink spilling on his hands. He gulped the drink and squatted with his back to the vending machine, staring at his own shadow in front of him.

"Who was that man?" Donghae asked aloud, knowing Alec was hearing.

"What are you talking about?" Alec asked instead.

"I just dreamed of a man and a child. They wished me to get better." Donghae honestly replied, wondering why he saw such a scene in his dream. He has had no human interaction in this game, except the fights with the masked men.

​"Hey, I didn't design you to see dreams."

Donghae huffed sarcastically, "Are you kidding me?" He stood up in anger on weak legs, "How stupid do you think I am to believe that you created me? If you are that capable, then why haven't you  made others like me? I have a life outside this game and I am going to find my way out. You can spin your lies as long as you want, but you and me both know the truth." Donghae stared in the darkness, anticipating for Alec to come clean, confess the truth. Tell him what he wants to hear - that he belongs to the real world.

"I'll ask you again then." Alec paused before continuing, "Who are you in the real world?"

Donghae clenched his jaw tight, closing his eyes in anger. He couldn't remember anything besides waking up inside this game with no memories of his identity. Nothing! He didn't even knew that he was inside the game. He couldn't even remember his name.

The white small cell he woke up into, was barren and empty, just him alone, exactly like his memories. When Alec first spoke to him he gave him the name 'Donghae'. A confused Donghae devoid of anything to rely on, had only one way of moving forward and that was believing Alec and doing as he was instructed.

​​​​"If you are real then how are you inside this game?" Alec giggled at the lack of response from Donghae, "See, you think you are a real human, a person and that's why when you are delirious you dream of a life." Donghae was unnerved at the calm sounding boyish voice.

​​​​"Like you, I too am fascinated with the real world and that's why I created  you. Maybe you need a partner to play this game with."

This instance made Donghae confirm his distrust in Alec. He started to make attempts at not following through the missions, tried to sabotage the missions, but rarely succeeded as most stages required him to protect himself from enemies, collapsing places, just escaping to ensure he survives.

 

___

 

Donghae stepped on the accelerator when Alec's words reminded him of his reality. He was sure, it were his memories that came to him, but why doesn't he remember their faces. What if Alec's right and he is just a character in this game?

He had pulled himself together, not letting his emotions get the better of him like this morning. No more showing weakness. No more relying on adhoc promises. He looked at Kyuhyun who had closed his eyes for a moment, even the deal with Kyuhyun was for a shared goal.

Whatever might be the truth of his existence, one thing was certain that he will get out of here with the help of the person beside him. After all Kyuhyun has crossed into the game, and a way in means there is a way out.

When he focused back at the road infront of him, he immediately hit the brakes, bringing the car to a screeching halt. The creature they had encountered  after escaping his confinement was blocking their way, standing in the middle of the road.

Kyuhyun mumbled under his breath, "Not again." This was not the time to get involved with the creature. If one is here, others would be close by like last time. 

"Hit him with the car at full speed", Kyuhyun urged from beside.

"What?" Donghae was taken aback. "That's a ridiculous idea".

Kyuhyun tightened his seat belt, "Trust me. If a small dagger can cut through its shell, surely a car can crush it to pieces."

Donghae too pulled the seat belt across his body and revved the engine. The creature grunted, struggling against its slippery limbs. "Do it now. It doesn't have a firm footing", Kyuhyun pointed out.

Donghae released the clutch and sped ahead, aiming to hit the creature and leave it behind. As soon as the car hit the crawler, it dug its claw in the hood of the car and crashed against the windshield. The black slime splattered on the windshield as the creature screeched aloud. The creature was being dragged along with the car, its upper body hanging off the car and the other half got crushed to bits.

"Hit the breaks", Kyuhyun ordered. When Donghae stepped on the brake, the remaining carcass of the creature flew and fell right in front of the car. It's one claw, still embedded in the hood covered in the black gooey slime.

"I'll get that out quickly ". Kyuhyun got out of the car and removed the claw, grimacing at the stinking smell and black slime that stuck to his hand. He quickly sat back and closed the door shut, wiping the slime with tissues that were on the dashboard. Donghae the wipers, trying to clear the windshield.

"Let's go before the others come", Kyuhyun advised, busy cleaning his hand. When Donghae didn't reply he turned his head to see him lost in his thoughts, like he was frozen in his seat. 

He shook Donghae by

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter