Exhausted

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun stirred awake to a warm feeling at dawn. He snuggled closer towards the source of warmth, letting his arms rest on the tuft of jacket that is similar to the one he is wearing. He tried to pull his legs up to alleviate the ache in his back at staying in the same position but felt a weight on them. It is strangely soothing, just enough to knead the sore legs from the terribly long walks. 

The small puffs of warm air that rush to his chin pulled him out of his daze. He was sleeping on the harsh cold ground and it shouldn't have been this relaxing to wake up. He should be cringing in pain and waking up in a grumpy mood. He realised that the warmth that he had been relishing in is none other than Donghae. He almost yanked himself upright but actually was frozen still, scared to ruin the sleep of the person beside him.

They had laid their heads on their bag the night before. But it was only a matter of time when the uncomfortable thing was pushed out of the way. The dropping temperatures had resulted in them drawing each other to their personal space. And so here they were, almost cuddling in each other's arms.

Kyuhyun removed his hand that he had rested just a while ago from Donghae. At the movement, Donghae stirred too and wrinkled his forehead, his leg withdrawing from being perched on Kyuhyun's. Kyuhyun held onto his breath, fearing he must have woken up Donghae. He would rather the poor man sleep a bit more and have his rest. Heaven knows he must have had terrible nights, it wouldn't hurt to let him sleep in this once.

The sunlight leaked through the barricaded window and fell on the two sleeping bodies. Kyuhyun stretched his body, his bones cracking audibly in the silent room. He stole a glance to see if Donghae was awake and then quietly sat upright.

He felt dizzy and held his head in his arms. What the hell! He cursed internally. He just had a full night's rest. He doesn't have to start his day with a glaring alarm that he isn't feeling quiet well. They are enough handicapped at this unfair game, they can't afford anymore cutbacks.

Donghae stirred more at the low groans that Kyuhyun accidentally let out from his dizzy spell. He sat up and reached towards Kyuhyun, placing an arm at his elbow. Kyuhyun almost shrieked at the touch, "Sheesh", he jolted and then relaxed. "When did you wake up", he felt his head throb at the jump scare.

Donghae peered at Kyuhyun's face worried, "Just now. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you". Kyuhyun nodded his head and immediately regretted it, "No. I was just not fully awake myself". He didn't talk about him feeling dizzy. 

Donghae eyed him some more, reading the tell-tale signs of the taller guy not seeming well enough. He handed him the water bottles by their bag, "You sure, you look a bit pale".

Kyuhyun was fully awake at that, "Yeah", he replied in an exaggerated manner. He gulped down the water at an amazing rate, still feeling unusually parched.  He stayed quiet about it. He noticed the worried eyes watching his every move. He just hoped he was good enough an actor and mask his struggles. This is probably the first time since his arrival that he had been feeling so strange, as if he hadn't ate or drank anything for days, when clearly they had quiet some somber meals to replenish their energy.

He stood up and stretched his arms over his head after he ped his jacket. He felt a bit warm as the day had dawned and warmth spread through the decrepit room. Donghae got up on his feet, wobbled a bit unsteadily due to the sudden flow in his legs. He caught Kyuhyun's jacket to steady himself and murmurred a quiet apology.

They both walked to separate ends of the room. Kyuhyun felt a bit awkward after waking up in an intimate manner they had fallen asleep in. He didn't knew if Donghae knew. From Donghae's reaction he would hazard a guess that he was unaware.

Donghae peeked out through the gap at the window, observing the quiet road with buildings on the opposite side. He stood closer to the window, ear trained towards it to catch any sounds, but it was really very silent outside, not even the buzzing sounds. 

"We should be quick", he turned and addressed Kyuhyun. "I sense a weird feeling since the glitches have happened". He picked up the bag and walked to Kyuhyun. 

"But how are we supposed to go to the station. Are we really sure that is the way out?" Donghae stopped as he was about to turn the handle. He turned around and looked at Kyuhyun. The taller guy saw a series of emotions flutter through his face. He was about to defend that he was not questioning him or being distrustful. He was just being cautious but Donghae beat him to it.

"If it weren't real Alec wouldn't dare reset the game. If it weren't real we wouldn't have so many obstacles in the path. If it weren't real Alec wouldn't threaten to send you back to the start". Donghae said it in a matter of fact manner. He wasn't angry or disappointed or even sad. He had expected such a question since he himself had doubted it several times. But something in the way Alec would react whenever the location was mentioned suggested that it was the end of this game, end in the form of a way out from this place and away from the despicable Alec.

 

They heared a sound of something being knocked down from outside. Immediately on alert, Kyuhyun removed the dagger and inched closer to the door. They waited to hear for any more sounds, listening to whether it is approaching them or moving away from them. But they didn't hear anything for a while.

Donghae slowly turned the handle and the door creaked open wide. He peered out and looked on either side of the door and noticed that one of the neighbouring rooms door was left ajar.

Kyuhyun walked out, staying close to the wall and noticed the open door. He turned to Donghae, shrugged his head in the room's direction as he took the lead. Donghae kept an eye behind them as Kyuhyun entered the room and slowly surveyed it. Donghae stood guard at the door when he heared faint footsteps in the distance.

He whispered Kyuhyun's name to draw his attention but unknown to him his voice failed to reach Kyuhyun. "I think it's this way", he said in a small voice as he followed the direction from where he heard the sound, catching a glimpse of a fleeting shadow. He gripped the bag tightly in his hands as he tip toed in the direction of the stranger, following it downstairs.

Unlike the main entrance they had entered through, Donghae followed the trail to the back of the building using the emergency escape route. He turned to his side and found a short silhouette of a person. A child? He was confused. The child turned his head, not entirely facing him. The glimpse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter