Half truths

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae and Kyuhyun waited for the patrolling rover to move further away from their destination. As the rover turned away, Donghae crouched lower and moved ahead, trying to maintain cover behind the wreckage of cars.

Kyuhyun followed suit. He didn't want a confrontation after jist escaping the suffocating tunnels and would prefer a quiet rest as promised by Alec. They would wait for a while before inching closer and cross the street stealthily to the hotel.

The hotel had a few cars parked outside and looked a fairly tall building which was visible even from a distance. The patrolling machine had been out of their sight for a while and Kyuhyun thought that maybe it had wandered off somewhere else.

As they walked through the huge glass doors that opened automatically, Alec greeted, "Welcome."

Kyuhyun looked at Donghae beside him and knew that he would not be talking this time either. 

"As I said you can rest here and have access to the pantry." Alec continued, ​​​​​"Since you were able to complete the code, this game will resume tomorrow."

Donghae rolled his eyes, as if the game ever stops. Alec instantly addressed Donghae, "Look on the bright side Donghae. Why do you always have to be so pessimistic?"

Kyuhyun dare not say anything when he saw Donghae glower in anger. Alec giggled his trademark annoying laughter and promptly shut up. As Kyuhyun walked past the lobby down the aisle, Donghae held him by the elbow.

"What? You think there are traps here too?" Kyuhyun asked Donghae who had a frown on his face. He pointed over his shoulder at the dining area. Kyuhyun's eyes lit up, "Right! Food first. Rest later!" His stomach decided to rumble at the same time, making him take his steps faster to avoid the shame.

Donghae watched Kyuhyun happily walking to the dining area, as if the tall guy had springs at the balls of his feet. Kyuhyun swung open the door and waited for Donghae to enter.  As both walked into the posh looking dinner room, they passed by rows of round tables and chairs, covered with white cloth each and a layer of dust to complete the look of being abandoned.

Realisation dawned on to Kyuhyun and his smile faded, "Who is going to serve us food?" Kyuhyun had for some reason dreamed up well cooked platter of mouth watering korean dishes, from simple serving of rice to tasty side dishes. He glanced around, "Do you think that code might have activated a food serving AI." Kyuhyun elbowed Donghae in jest who was walking beside him. Donghae shook his head, clearly not finding the joke funny.

As they walked through the dinning room they reached the pantry which was adjacent to the kitchen. Donghae grabbed a few tinned cans and packets and headed straight to the kitchen. Kyuhyun scanned the food on the shelves which weren't much, but were arranged in order. He glanced down the pantry and spotted stale vegetables and stopped from moving towards it.

Donghae had already picked up a couple of bowls and chopsticks along with the food. "Aren't you going to check its expiry date?" Kyuhyun asked from behind.

Donghae threw the two packets towards Kyuhyun, which the latter fumbled to catch in time. He flipped the packet to check the expiry date and was surprised to not see any on them.

Donghae on the other hand had already turned the microwave oven on and filled the bowls with water from the filter next to it. Kyuhyun opened the packs and held it tight when Donghae reached for them. "Are you sure this food is safe to eat?"

Donghae shrugged his shoulder and pulled the packets, emptying them in each of the bowls. As they had to wait a couple of minutes for the noodles to be cooked, Kyuhyun leaned opposite the cooking counter and watched Donghae who was opening the tinned cans. Those were similar to the ones they had back at that house.

"Is this the only food we can eat here?" Kyuhyun asked, hoping for a negative answer. But Donghae nodded his head and handed him the opened can. Kyuhyun looked inside and obviously, like last time it was sweet corn.

The oven beeped when the timer rang. Donghae removed the warm bowls of noodles and gave one to Kyuhyun. The smell of cooked noddles wafted in the air, making the cold, strange place feel intimate. Kyuhyun sat on the counter opposite the oven and made some space for Donghae by pushing the wrappers aside. Donghae had to jump a bit to sit on the counter which caused a pain in his abdomen, reminding him of his injury.

Donghae drank the broth first and sighed at the warmth that spread through his body. Kyuhyun smiled against  the noodles he was slurping and agreed at the tasty flavour. The sounds of slurping noodles and clinking bowls echoed in the empty kitchen.

"That was exactly what I needed", Kyuhyun said with a satisfied sigh as he set the bowl aside. "Although it was not what I had expected, it was really delicious."

Kyuhyun filled two paper cups with water from the filter and handed one to Donghae who was scooping a few spoonfuls of corn. Donghae nodded his head to thank him as he finished his meal. 

They left the empty bowls on the counter and headed out. The bright lights would flicker every now and then. Kyuhyun tapped his feet as they waited for the lift to arrive. Donghae turned his head to Kyuhyun, eyes staring at him. Kyuhyun met his gaze, "What?" He asked, still restlessly tapping his feet. With an oh! he quit the restless moves and waited for the lift.

"This is taking forever", Kyuhyun had already pressed the other elevators' buttons, hoping atleast one would open up. 

"Finally", Kyuhyun exclaimed when the blinking arrow on the top of the lift stopped moving and the doors opened with a swoosh sound. Both stepped inside and reached for different buttons. Donghae took his hand back as if he caught himself from doing something he shouldn't. 

"What number were you going to press?" Kyuhyun asked now being aware of his opinion. Donghae shook his head, asking him to press the button. Kyuhyun pressed the 3rd floor button for which Donghae had reached out.

"I hope we can rest well this time". Kyuhyun winked at Donghae as the latter stood tight lipped, staring at the door. When the doors parted open Kyuhyun walked ahead of Donghae. 

The corridor was brightly lit with cream walls and dark brown patterned carpet rolled out on the floor. The padded footsteps didn't made much sound. Kyuhyun stared at the sparsely spaced rooms and turned to Donghae, wondering if he knew something useful this time too.

Kyuhyun turned the handle of one of the doors, which didn't open. "Any idea on how we can open the rooms?" He turned his head and asked Donghae. Donghae walked to the room next to the one Kyuhyun was trying to open and crouched down. He pulled a room card key from the gap between the floor and the carpet at the base of the door. He cracked a small smile in Kyuhyun's direction and flipped the card. 

Kyuhyun came over to the room and was handed the key by Donghae. "You are full of surprises." Kyuhyun was amused and also sc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter