Lost & found

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun reached out to touch the glitch that was phasing on the wall in front of him, it's black and blue lines interchanging and weaving through each other. When the rack nearby crashed suddenly with a loud thud, a startled Kyuhyun accidentally touched the mesh layer on the wall.

In the blink of an eye he stumbled down to his knees and was in a completely different place, a vividly white cell. It was as white as snow, with no distinction between where the walls ended and the ceiling started. Even the floor was pristine white. The sudden brightness actually hurt his eyes and in reflex he shielded them with his palm.

"Donghae..." He called aloud, his voice echoed, bouncing off of the walls. He turned around in circles, spooked to be teleported out of the blue, yet waiting for Donghae to pop out of thin air, like he probably did. But nothing happened. He was nauseous. The feeling came in an instant, making him loose his footing and went away in the next second. "Queasy..." He touched his stomach, regaining his balance, puzzled with the rumblings inside.

As he turned in circles he noticed a small red symbol blinking in the distance. It was red in colour and almost looked like a dot. What's that? He wondered, curiosity making him take steps towards it. He called out Donghae's name again, just in case the latter was nearby, maybe on the opposite side of the wall. He tried to walk towards his side, find the wall beside him. But he just deviated from the centre, the blinking dot getting farther from him. He gave up trying to reach the side of the cell instead continued to walk towards the blinking light, not wanting to end up someplace else again.

The red blinking dot turned out to be a red x symbol, marked at possibly the exit. This was probably the first time since he entered the game, that he saw the simple symbol that was on the game box and the opening screen of the game. He wondered what it's significance, if any was?

Kyuhyun was out of breath after walking for what felt like hours without any break. Playing games comfortably in his chair is his forte not running around, escaping from falling buildings or outrunning creepy creatures.

He had to stop for a while, bending down, resting his arms on his knees, while he took a breather. "That brat Alec, where the hell is he now?" Kyuhyun complained half expecting the annoying voice to chirp up and give a mission or destination so he has atleast a way to find out where Donghae is.

The other half was worried that he would be left in isolation for working in cahoots with Donghae against Alec. Alec probably found out that Donghae took out the cameras and bugs that were hidden in their hotel room.

Kyuhyun slumped down on the floor, slightly freaked out by the neat and sparkling white floor and the unflinching brightness. He frowned as he kneaded his legs, "Alec!?" He shouted aloud, hoping the brat speaks up.

He straigthened one of his legs and propped one leg up, resting his elbow on the propped knee. "Where is Donghae?" Kyuhyun asked, staring at the ceiling for some reason. The bright lights hurt his sight and he had to squint.

"What did you do to Donghae? Speak up you piece of ". Kyuhyun suddenly raised his voice, frustration getting the best of him. After a bout of silence, Kyuhyun cursed under his breath and got up to continue his walk towards the marked exit.

The symbol was blinking rhythmically, its light getting dimmer as Kyuhyun got closer. After what seemed like hours of walking, Kyuhyun was finally in front of the symbol attached to the door which had dimmed down. He ran his hand across the LED light, felt a jutted edge, a small slot in the centre of it.

Kyuhyun quickly patted his pockets, trying to find the key he had found in the safe house and used in the tunnel. He found the key in his back pocket and immediately inserted it in the slot.

The x symbol rotated to change into a slanted plus sign and the door clicked open. A vacuum of air pushed past through the gap with a gushing sound, making Kyuhyun subconsciously step back. He tentatively pulled the door open, to see what was inside and then backed again. He wondered as he pulled out the key from the slot. A countdown timer started ticking away and in panic Kyuhyun quickly entered the room. After like ten seconds the door clicked shut behind him with no way out.

In front of Kyuhyun were multiple monitors showing the various places through which him and Donghae had been through. Some screens had visuals of locations that Kyuhyun didn't know but they were frozen and in brown filter. He walked closer, mouth wide open in bewilderment, trying to pinpoint the store that he was in with Donghae just a couple of hours ago. He was puzzled by the uneven weather and time of day that were on the different screens. Some looked like it was a dessert, wind blowing away the sand. Other had same type of city view but one was sunny bright while the other had a twinkling evening. There were timers on some screens, with a text box that had "waiting for player to arrive" in the centre.

"Donghae", Kyuhyun gasped his name when he finally spotted the wrecked store. His eyes frantically scanned the place, noticing that it looked a bit more rundown, his mind chanting Donghae's name only to be disappointed that there was no one. He was gone. Worry started to crawl up in his nerves. It must have been hours and Donghae would have probably left for the subway station. Atleast that's what Kyuhyun hoped. The other probability of him being held captive like their first encounter or a run in with the creatures made him feel desperate to get back to Donghae. 

"What did you do?" Kyuhyun asked Alec, knowing far too well that he had eyes here too because he could see himself on one of the monitor screens.

"Talk to me dammit", Kyuhyun slammed his hand on the console in front of him. He examined the several buttons and switches on the console, contemplating on pushing one of the buttons. He extended his hand to push one of the large red switch, but pulled it back, "What if something happens to Donghae if I pressed a wrong button."

Kyuhyun took a step back to be able to view the entire console and find something useful.

​​​​​"What are you doing here?" Alec suddenly spoke up in a panicked voice. "This is off limits to players!"

Kyuhyun turned around, "Where are you? Come, let's talk face to face and end this once and for all."

​​​​​​"Here, what I says goes not the other way around. I order and you do as told.  You should be grateful that I didn't punish you as harsh as I had Donghae in the past." ​​​​​Alec taunted an already annoyed Kyuhyun.

"Why Donghae?" Kyuhyun asked a simple question. It had been bugging him that if Donghae were truly trapped like him, then why go to such lengths to harass him and keep him trapped? "What's he done to you?"

Alec giggled, making Kyuhyun grit his teeth in annoyance. "Don't tell me that you fell for Donghae's sob story." ​​​​ One of the screens in centre rewinded showing Donghae on it. "He is the game! Rescuing him to safety is the final mission." ​​​​​On the screen, Donghae was sitting in a chair by the window, dejectedly staring out.​​​​​ "Don't be fooled by his innocent eyes, he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter