Rest is a luxury

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. The soft mattress and the warm duvet let him relax his body, instantly easing his tense nerves. Though he remembered Alec's annoying instruction that the game would resume from tomorrow, he wished to wake up back in his bedroom.

Kyuhyun woke up at the sound of glass crashing in the main room. He quickly walked out, worried if Donghae needed any help. When he saw the state Donghae was in, covered in sweat, dazedly staring in the space, he stood beside him and coaxed, "It's alright Donghae."

He didn't know the reason for Donghae's state, maybe a bad dream or unbearable pain, but he still wanted to say a few words to calm him. "I am right here". He picked up the duvet and considered placing it back on Donghae's lap, but instead put it beside him. He knelt beside the sofa and started to pick the broken pieces of glass with the used towel they had discarded earlier.

He made sure that all the glass shards were collected, lest they have to limp the rest of the game, if either of them stepped on the pieces. "Just making sure that there aren't any spare pieces", he swiped the towel along the floor for any stray shards. He saw Donghae staring at him, but unresponsive. He wrapped the pieces in the towel tightly, minding his own fingers and ready to throw them away when he heard Donghae's plea.

"Help me."

Kyuhyun placed the bundle aside, and met Donghae's fear ridden gaze. The words 'how', threatened to slip off his lips, but he held back. This was not the time to kill someone's call for help, even though he feels it's Donghae who has helped him to get this far in the game.

He scooted closer to Donghae, soothingly rubbed the back of his wrist, "I'll help you. We will complete this game together."

Donghae bit down his lips and clenched his eyes shut, a tear escaped and slid down his cheek. Kyuhyun reached up and lightly brushed off the tear with his thumb. "What's bothering you?" Kyuhyun did such an intimate act without a second thought, sheer out of concern. "I can't help until you don't share your worries." He had made up his mind to stay at a distance from Donghae, because he can't really trust him. But there it was, his inability to not care or worry for the man.

Donghae tried to hold back the tears, with trembling lips and creased forehead. When he opened his eyes, Kyuhyun was earnestly looking at him. "I can't get out of this place no matter how hard I try." He broke down in tears, "I played the game as per Alec's rules but it just never ends. I am stuck in this game just like you." Donghae emphasised the last three words.

Kyuhyun was baffled. Did he hear it right? "What do you mean, just like me?" Kyuhyun was now standing up and putting space between them. Donghae inched towards Kyuhyun, reaching for his hand almost at the edge of the sofa. Kyuhyun unknowingly pulled his hand back, "How is that even possible?" He grasped at his hair in frustration. The possibility that Donghae is a real person, and has a life outside was something he had never considered. He just thought that Donghae was against Alec because he probably was fed up with following his orders. 

Donghae closed his fingers into a fist that had reached for Kyuhyun, and wiped his tear stricken face with the sleeve of his shoulder. "I think I entered this game while playing it and have been trapped since then. Isn't that how you entered this game?"

Kyuhyun rubbed his forehead, "Yes, I found myself here when I came to rescue you in the first stage." He paced in front of Donghae, "Didn't Alec say that your desperate call for help pulled me in the game?"

Donghae's eyes twinkled with hope, "So you believe me."

Kyuhyun didn't know what to do next or what to say. Strategically speaking, playing along with Donghae gave him better chances of staying alive and returning to his real world. If that means believing Donghae's claim that he is just like him, a real person, doesn't matter. Either way he has to make sure Donghae stays by his side.

Kyuhyun nodded his head in affirmation to which Donghae eased on the sofa. For some reason the way Kyuhyun's brain and mind fought between logic and concern was driving him crazy. He really did want to help Donghae but can he really trust him.

Donghae had noticed the wariness fleet back onto Kyuhyun's face. He realised that here there are no true allies. The reason he had been avoiding to share his real identity was because of this very reaction - disbelief. He had let his fear and emotions cloud his judgement and ruin his chances. What if Kyuhyun thinks he is a rival and ditches him in the middle of the game?

"No dumping me before we escape this game! Deal?" Donghae was surprised when his concerns were uttered by Kyuhyun. A small smile appeared on his face, "Why would I do that." He reached forward and grabbed Kyuhyun's extended hand.

Kyuhyun shook Donghae's hand at the deal. The contrast of a smile on Donghae's tear stricken face distressed him. "Whatever your true identity is, our goals are the same." Donghae nodded his head to agree. "So we have to stay together to ensure we can complete the final level."

Donghae jerked as if he wanted to say something but stopped himself. Kyuhyun twitched one eyebrow up, "What is it?" Donghae gathered his fingers and plucked at the worn out bandaids, "Our end goal should be defeating Alec. Playing the game just makes us caught in a loop. One level leads to another and another."

Kyuhyun rested his finger on his chin in thought, "We need to sabotage this game."

Donghae hummed, "it already is corrupted which led us being trapped in it", he kept tugging at the bandaid.

Their discussion came to  a halt when they realised destroying the game was harder to execute. How can they spot the perfect opportunity when Alec had an eye on everything they do?

Donghae had calmed down and even his fever had subsided. He apologised Kyuhyun for scaring him and ruining his sleep. "Don't be like that", Kyuhyun exclaimed. "Besides an early start to this day could help us stay focused during the missions."

 

 

When Kyuhyun was lounging in the main room, feet perched on the table, sat on the sofa on which Donghae had slept, Donghae beckoned him. "Kyuhyun come inside. I have something to show you."

Kyuhyun walked in the bedroom to find Donghae dressed in the pair of clothes he had on their first encounter, a dark blue shirt and dark pants. "Weren't you wondering where the cool clothes were?"

When Kyuhyun rounded and stood in front of the closet, he saw several shirts similar to one's Donghae was wearing on the hanger. His eyes fell on the camouflage pants that were folded and racked neatly one on top of the other. Besides to it was the long sleeve brown t-shirt that he was wearing when he first arrived.

He laughed, "What is this?" He opened one of the t-shirt in amazement. "I looked really cool in these." He had already pulled out the pair and was examining them. 

While Donghae waited out in the main room, Kyuhyun changed into the fresh pair of clothes. He remembered to take out the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter