The Book of Revelations

The Reading Of What Happens Next
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Still the 2nd year after Yong and her mom went home

"Ma, I'll head out for a while!" 

I reached over the kitchen counter to grab my jacket slung over one of the dining room chairs. 

"Hold on a minute, don't you just want to stay here and watch some movies with me, maybe?" Mom asked, her expression clearly wary.

I pulled the hoodie over my head if only to buy myself time before answering but I guess I didn't need it because Ma spoke first.

She sighed, "You do this every year Whee…" looking at me sympathetically she continued ”The night after you and Yongsun meet, you go out and I know for a fact that you cry."

I don't know what to say. I guess I was never too slick when it came to hiding my face after those nights. I walked around the counter and hugged her. It was the only way I could answer her concerns at this moment before I pulled away to give her a smile,

"I'll be okay, ma. You don't have to wait for me, I brought my keys."

She gave me a curt nod and turned to the dirty dishes that piled in our sink. 

-

My fingers felt cold from trying to maneuver our gate's lock and so I stuffed them both inside my hoodie's pockets before I walked toward the church.

It was only a couple of minutes away. I passed by three stores and turned two corners where the old big houses were. As usual, I take my time admiring whatever I can see through their fences and overgrown bushes. 

After the second corner, the church came to view. It wasn't as busy as before when the mass was ongoing. It was more peaceful.

One of the big doors was open and the inside was dimly lit. The stained glass created colored patterns through the streetlight outside

These things were all familiar. I could describe everything from the smell of the blooming night jasmine to the sound of crickets all around. 

But most of all, I can describe how my back feels against the first row of the pews in front of the choir platform. That was the best spot to see Yong’s smile whenever she started singing. 

Every Sunday for a month me, ma and sometimes Hyejin, my best friend, would be amazed at the way Yong carried harmonies. She was the best in the group for me.

I settled down there and ran my hand on the indents of wood scratches. I remembered the time when I asked her why she would join the choir when she didn’t even like going to the church in the first place.

*

Yong clears and swings our interlaced hands, “It’s additional practice while I’m in between auditions.”

I looked at her confused. Surely the gigs she gets here and there were enough to keep her in shape.

Her hand fidgeted in mine and I pulled her closer while we continued walking. Her house is near an we can finally eat the takeout we bought. 

“It’s also because every time you and Ma go to church, you guys sit at the very front and I only get to see you after mass. This way when I sing in the choir I can smile at you and I can see you smile at me—”

I didn’t let her finish her rambling and pulled her behind a big tree near the sidewalk. She stumbled a bit as I tug at her shirt and kissed her.

Her initial surprise wore off and she started kissing me back with the same fervor. Her lips were soft and the way they fit mine always leave me breathless. When we pulled apart she gazed at me and then engulfed me in a hug, like she was trying to calm herself down.

“What was that for?” she whispered, pulling away and looking at me.

I squinted a bit, the sunlight framing her perfectly like an angel. She leaned against my palm when I cupped her cheeks.

“I love you, Yong.” I whispered for the first time, my heart beating furiously awaiting her reaction.

Yong’s answering grin came with her whisker dimple

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter