Second Meeting

The One Who Drank From The Fountain of Youth

 

 


Kyuhyun spent many months searching for Yesung after their first meeting, but with no luck. 

 

So he was surprised when he found him completely randomly near a cliff ten years later. 

 

Ten years could be a long time, even for an immortal, especially one as young as Kyuhyun. Still, as soon as he saw his silhouette, the back of his head with his pale white hair, Kyuhyun instantly knew who it was, and his heart started beating fast again. 

 

Ten years was a long time, but not long enough to forget about Yesung.  

 

Compared to the last time, there was no one around them; Kyuhyun had been traveling around the world for a while now, and he wanted to see more about the current world, compared to the one he saw when he arrived on earth, humanity evolved so fast, you always had something to see, he wondered how some of the older immortals could get bored by their worlds when nothing was ever the same. 

 

Kyuhyun just got lost on a mountain, but apparently, getting lost was a way to find someone. 

 

He looked at the Sun and thanked his father for guiding him to the one he couldn’t wait to see again, and the sun shined on him as if it was saying, “you’re welcome.” 

 

Kyuhyun approached Yesung slowly. He was sitting on the cliff's edge, looking straight at the horizon, Kyuhyun couldn’t see his expression yet, but he guessed it probably was melancholic.

 

When he was sure Yesung could hear his steps and was close enough, he started to speak.

 

“Good evening, Yesung.”

 

At the sound of his voice, he could see Yesung’s back stiffening instantly, but he didn’t turn back or speak, so Kyuhyun took the opportunity to sit next to him. 

 

And he was still as beautiful as the first time he saw him all those years ago. It was as if his face and body were frozen in time; even as an immortal, his body could change, he could gain weight, and he could have long hair, but not Yesung. He felt the pull once again to touch his face, but he advised against it; he didn’t want him to leave again so soon when he wasn’t sure when the next time he’d see him would be. So he kept quiet, just staring at his face, while Yesung kept looking into the horizon, eyes empty but with a stiff body. 

 

It was just after long minutes where nothing was said between them that Yesung started to talk.

 

“Good evening to you, Kyuhyun.” He murmured, still looking straight in front of him. Kyuhyun smiled.

 

“I’m glad you remember my name.” 

 

“I have a good memory, don’t take it personally.” 

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at that. Yesung had more personality, it seemed, than “they say”, apparently. 

 

It got quiet once again; Kyuhyun wasn’t sure what to say after such a long time. He thought long and hard beforehand about how to seduce, how to convince him that what they felt was something worthy to pursue, but now he was next to the man, he didn’t know if his words would be enough, so he stayed quiet, just looking at the man. 

 

In the end, he wasn’t the one who broke the silence.

 

“Say Kyuhyun, if you fell from this cliff right now, what would happen?” What a weird question to ask, Kyuhyun thought. Yesung was still looking at nothing, composed, with no real emotion exposed through his voice. And well, Kyuhyun wouldn’t let this chance go to talk with him.

 

“Hm, I wonder.” He said,” it depends if it’s night or day.” At that, Yesung actually looked at him, curious. Kyuhyun’s heart skipped a beat. “Will it change something?”

 

“Well, I would not die no matter what, but I will recover faster on a sunny day. My father doesn’t like to see his children suffer, after all. But at night, his power and influence would be lessened.” He answered. “Hurting at night is a pain; the moon has no mercy for us.” he chuckled. 

 

“I see.” Yesung hummed as an answer. 


He paused for a few seconds.

 

“If I fell down this cliff, I die.” Kyuhyun’s eyes widen at that. “I drank from a fountain that promises eternal youth, but eternal youth doesn’t mean I can’t die. I just can’t die of age and disease, but something as violent as this? I’ll probably die.” 

 

Yesung stared at him intensely for a few seconds, as if he was trying to convey something meaningful with those words. 

 

And Kyuhyun knew what he was trying to say, what lay under those words. But he didn’t care.

 

“Did you try to jump before?” he said instead. Yesung frowned.

 

“Of course not. I drank from the fountain, remember? I shouldn’t die like this.” 

 

“So how are you so sure you’re going to die?”  Yesung's frown got deeper.

 

“I’m not. But I can get hurt. I did get hurt before; why would I jump and test it?” 

 

Kyuhyun smiled.

 

“Why would you, indeed.”

 

Yesung didn’t say anything after that. He looked into Kyuhyun’s eyes, searching for something Kyuhyun knew he wouldn’t find, and turned his head away, blushing for a bit, when he saw maybe a little too much. 

 

Kyuhyun didn’t need to say anything; after all, Yesung knew what he wanted. 

 

Words of love tend not to be enough in their immortal world, and especially for some people who only met two times, he knew he wouldn’t be taken seriously, and truthfully, he wouldn’t take himself seriously either. It was too little in a too little period of time. But he knew that love would blossom once he got to know him better. He just needed Yesung to let him. 

 

But unfortunately, this wasn’t going to happen today.

 

After a while, Yesung simply got up and looked at him. Challenging him to follow, but he didn’t need to worry; Kyuhyun knew it would be useless, and forcing him wasn’t what he wanted. 

 

Realizing he wasn’t going to go with him, Yesung relaxed for a bit and nodded at him.

 

“Goodbye, Kyuhyun.” And he started to walk away. 

 

“See you soon, Yesung.” He said in return.

 

Yesung stopped in his track and looked at him back carefully; he then looked at the sky, at the sun. He frowned.

 

“It really wouldn’t be wise.” He ended up saying to the sun. And then, as quietly, he left the scene once again.

 

Kyuhyun looked at his father up in the sky.

 

“Maybe he’s right, father; maybe it’s not wise.” Kyuhyun smiled at his father with a certain playfulness, indicating he didn’t think at all what he was saying.

 

The sun shined on him once again, wrapping him in his light with such softness, he knew instantly his father wasn’t angry at him for pursuing this; he had never felt so thankful. 

 

Kyuhyun looked back on the road where Yesung had disappeared just a moment ago, still smiling.

 

“If you’re not going to do it, then maybe I should do it for the both of us then.”

 


He jumped off the cliff.