Seventh Meeting

The One Who Drank From The Fountain of Youth

Sorry for the time it took me to write this, I was really sick this week and couldn't write haha, my throat isn't really happy those days :,). But seriously my brain turned into mush, I love winter, except for that haha

 



 

It might sound silly and conventional, but Kyuhyun didn’t like war.

 

 

It sounded evident to him and most children of the sun. After all, what good things came out of war? Especially for people like him, who came to earth to bring joy and warmth to the hearts of men, war never looked like anything other than desolation and death. But it wasn’t the case for all immortals.

 

Some immortals loved wars. 

 

Kyuhyun never liked those immortals. They considered war a form of entertainment, something to watch and analyze, a form of sport in a way, and the same way as sports, they all had their favorite team to bet on. Kyuhyun couldn’t understand; as someone who traveled a lot, saw humans for what they were, and had to give some joy to people who were just devastated by the wars of people who didn’t care at all about them, he couldn’t like it as they did. But those immortals weren’t the worst of them all because they only liked to watch it from afar, but some immortals liked to see the consequences of war; they liked to see war itself. That, he only found disgusting.

 

So it surprised him grandly when he tried to find Yesung again; he found him in the middle of a battlefield. 

 

Thinking about Yesung didn’t usually give him this uneasy feeling in his guts because he had never associated the mostly aloof immortal with something as gruesome as war. Yesung usually brings him more joyful feelings. 

 

He really hoped Yesung wasn’t like those other immortals who could only find joy after a few centuries by watching humans suffer because then he’ll have to find a way to show him it wasn’t that entertaining and how he could have fun otherwise. He didn’t enjoy already how this conversation would go. 

 

Plus, Yesung looked so soft, Yesung, and as their last meeting suggested, didn’t seem like the type to enjoy something like this, didn’t look to enjoy the suffering. But here he was, searching for him in the middle of a battlefield abandoned by the soldiers, looking only like death, bones, and blood. 

 

And here he was, standing proudly with his white hair and pure looks, a fierce contrast to the scene he was in, like a painting in the middle of a barn. 

 

Kyuhyun didn’t like how his heart was beating right now while seeing him again. It just didn’t feel right to fall in love, even more, when nothing looked right, and yet it did. He couldn’t help it.

 

“Good Evening, Yesung,” He said, softer than he usually did.

 

And once again, Yesung, at the sound of his voice, looked like he was coming alive once more, his eyes lightening with life and lips sharpening into a small smile at the sight of Kyuhyun’s face.

 

“Good Evening, Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun wanted to come near him, take his hand into one of his own, and touch his face. However, it didn’t look really appropriate considering the place they were in right now, plus he still had to consider if he needed to fight with Yesung about where he was so he didn’t. Yesung looked surprised he didn’t approach him, but he didn’t say anything, probably because he also saw where they were.

 

Kyuhyun considered his words carefully, and then after a few seconds, he replied:

 

“I didn’t expect to find you there,” He said, “You usually prefer nature over… Humanity’s activities.”

 

Yesung didn’t answer directly and looked around him. As soon as his eyes left Kyuhyun, it seemed like they were slowly losing their lights.

 

“Yeah.” He answered, “I was passing by, and I heard of a war going on.” but didn’t elaborate more, and Kyuhyun didn’t know what to make of that.

 

“Do you….like it?” He risked saying, apparent hesitance showing in his voice. Yesung instantly looked back at him, staring straight into his eyes, making his heart jump a little more.

 

“No.” 

 

Kyuhyun's shoulders relaxed at that, while Yesung looked at him impassably. And sighed.

 

“I don’t like wars. I don’t like the sight, the blood, or the smell; it’s just that… Sometimes I can be useful here.” 

 

Kyuhyun's curious side took over at that, and he couldn’t help but ask what he meant. Yesung didn’t answer at first and just asked him to follow him, which he did without complaining.

 

As obvious as it sounded, walking through a battlefield didn’t feel great. Not only because of the corpses, the abandoned weapons, or the destroyed landscapes, but it reined a particular atmosphere, a quietness only broken by the sounds of their steps that made him feel really uncomfortable. His father’s light tried to comfort him, but it didn't help much. Nothing really could in this place.

 

They finally stopped when they heard the pitiful whines of a dying man. 

 

While Yesung got closer to him, Kyuhyun stayed a bit more afar, he never liked looking at death, and he could feel her approaching the scene, her presence more and more chilling. Still, he looked at Yesung.

 

Yesung said something to the man, something he couldn’t hear, and the man nodded. Then, Yesung touched him. 

 

Kyuhyun got cold for a few seconds, and death finally arrived. Kyuhyun closed his eyes instantly. That was one of their father’s rules, if you can, don’t look at death while she worked; for she didn’t need the burden of their judgments in addition to her work.

 

When he opened his eyes again, the man was dead, and Yesung was close to him; he jumped a bit at that again, and when he saw Kyuhyun had his eyes open again, he took Kyuhyun’s hand softly while laying his head on his shoulder. Kyuhyun didn’t know if panicking was appropriate in this situation, but it didn’t make the thought any less useless when he panicked a bit, his ears turning redder.

 

“I dislike doing this,” Yesung said after a while, pressing his head a bit more against his neck, “I can’t heal people, I can’t make them happy, I can only take from people. Take the years they have left on earth by a simple touch.” He paused. “Here… It’s the only place when it's useful.” 

 

Kyuhyun didn’t say anything at that. He squeezed Yesung’s hand harder while putting his head over Yesung’s.

 

He closed his eyes, trying to feel death around him, but he couldn’t feel her chilling presence anymore; her job here was done.

 

So he gently shook Yesung’s body, forcing him to look into his own eyes.

 

They were full of life.

 

“Let’s go, Yesung. War hasn’t hit everywhere in this country yet; there might be places we could visit together.” Kyuhyun made sure Yesung only looked at him while they moved away from the battlefield by never stopping to talk to him; he smiled.

 


“We might be able to catch the sunset if we hurry.”