Fourth Meeting

The One Who Drank From The Fountain of Youth

 

 

For their fourth meeting, it was raining.


Kyuhyun never liked the rain, as one of the children of the sun, any weather where he couldn’t see his father clearly wasn’t a great one; that was one of the reasons he also traveled so much, to always stay in the part of the world where the sun was shining, avoiding winter and autumn like the plague. 

 

But there’s a point where you can’t control nature, and rain must fall for everything to be in perfect order. It didn’t mean Kyuhyun had to like it. 

 

His travels led him to the south, near the sea. It was beautiful as always, but like many things that weren’t human on earth, it didn’t change much since the last time he saw this landscape. However, humanity around had already moved, and he watched curiously as some humans used a new type of boat, one he hadn’t seen before, one that made more noise than the last one he thought. 

 

If it wasn’t raining as much as it did, he would have approached the seaside a bit more and would have asked about this new boat, but as it was, it rained. And rain tended to drain him of his energy. 

 

He looked up at the sky, frowning. The pouring rain was hiding his father from his view, but he could still feel a bit of his warmth on him, trying to console him. 

 

As a child of the sun, most of his powers came from it, not that he had much in the first place; children of the sun didn’t really have special abilities like most of his peers, they just had a common joyfulness in their characters and talents to brighten the days of men and could bless objects and people, but except that and, well, not dying, he didn’t have anything. 

 

Still, he didn’t like it. 

 

Kyuhyun sighed and kept looking at the sea instead, sitting on the sand, trying to stay as dry as possible under his umbrella. 

 

Looking at the sea always made him think of Yesung. 

 

As beautiful and as lonely as he was, something you couldn’t stop looking at once you started, it made him smile softly. He missed him.

 

And it was when he wondered how long this time he’d have to wait before seeing him again that he felt someone approach him.

 

“Good evening, Kyuhyun.” 


Kyuhyun's eyes widened instantly at this voice, and his head turned towards the sound of it as soon as he heard it. He couldn’t believe it. 

 

Yesung stood in front of his eyes, in his full glory. He chuckled a bit at Kyuhyun’s shocked expression. 

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t believe it. It only had been two years! Even with Yesung not stopping him, he didn’t expect to see him so soon; after all, he didn’t even try yet, he wanted to give him space to consider everything, but seeing him here, with him already, he was the one he supposed wasn’t ready yet.

 

Yesung kept smiling this small smile he already loved and sat down with him on the sand with his own umbrella. 

 

Kyuhyun instantly noticed the ladybug comfortably nesting in his hair, and his heart couldn’t help beating a little bit faster at the sight, his ears going a bit redder. 

 

When Yesung saw his line of sight, he also blushed a little, but didn’t say anything about it. 

 

“Why are you here? I thought people like you didn’t enjoy the rain too much.” He said instead. Kyuhyun scoffed a little bit at that.

 

“Well, ‘people like me’ don’t control the weather as well and….” He paused and looked back at the sea, “I wanted to come here again; I like the sea.” Yesung hummed in agreement.

 

“Yes, the sea is a pretty sight.” He answered. “It…” Yesung hesitated. “It makes me remember good things from the past; I like coming back here sometimes.” Those words made Kyuhyun a bit more curious.

 

“Did something good happen here?” Yesung stiffened a bit at that, then looked at him carefully for a few seconds. And then, Kyuhyun didn’t know what he would decide at this moment, but he kept talking.

 

“This is where, when I was mortal, I decided to go search for the fountain,” Yesung said after a moment. 

 

Kyuhyun's eyes widened at that. 

 

“Oh wow. Does it mean we’re in the part of the world where you’re born in?” Yesung just nodded while looking at the sea.

 

“It’s different. I don’t….” Yesung sighed, “It’s not really anymore. It changed too much.” 

 

Kyuhyun could understand that. He had never been human, but humanity went so fast; for someone frozen in time like Yesung, it probably felt like everything was moving too fast while he still was here, alone, looking at the world spinning around.

 

Then Kyuhyun got an idea. 

 

He got up suddenly, surprising Yesung at the same time, and walked to a rock near them.

 

“Hey, Yesung, you want to bet on something?” He shouted at him through the noises of the wind and the rain. 

 

“...What? No!” After snapping out of shock, Yesung said, “Kyuhyun comes back here! Rain isn’t good for you! Even you can get sick!” He shouted back. Kyuhyun only laughed, looking at his worried expression. 

 

Kyuhyun shivered because of the rain falling down his body, but he didn’t care; he took his umbrella and put it in front of his body, showing it proudly to Yesung. His smile widened once again.

 

“I’m going to shove this umbrella between those rocks!” He shouted again, “I bet that it’ll still be here no matter what in twenty years! What do you think?” 

 

Yesung's eyes widened even more at that, looking at Kyuhyun in disbelief. 

 

“What are you even saying!!! Of course, it’s not going to stay here in twenty years; it’s an umbrella!” But he only made Kyuhyun laughs harder, while Yesung looked at him as if he was crazy. “So you bet, no? Is that what I’m hearing?” 

 

Yesung just stared. And sighed. He should have learned last time that this brat was too stubborn to give up when he told him to. He got up and decided to walk towards him, so they didn’t have to keep shouting at each other like animals.

 

“.... What do I win if I bet?” Kyuhyun's eyes lightened up. 

 

“Whatever you want! Whatever it is, if I can do it, I’ll do it! It doesn’t matter if you don’t know now; I swear on my father’s name!” Yesung squinted his eyes at him with that; swearing on the sun’s name was a big deal. 

 

“Alright, so what do you win?” 

 

“Hmm, let's see….” Kyuhyun faked thinking about it, and by the look on Yesung‘s face, he wasn’t fooling anyone, “what about a kiss?” He finally answered cheekily. 

 

Yesung snorted at that, while Kyuhyun pouted; he hoped to see him blush again.

 

“Alright,” Yesung said. “I accept.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled. Yesung kept staring at him for a bit while smiling; Kyuhyun liked, this smile; it felt lighter than usual. 

 

“I have to go now; it was nice seeing you, Kyuhyun.” He said after a while, “And here, please take this; I need it less than you.” He said while giving him his umbrella. 

 

Kyuhyun smiled.


“See you soon, Yesung.”

 

Yesung just nodded, and then as quietly as he appeared, he left.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled while looking at the umbrella he shoved between those rocks. And while Yesung wasn’t here to look at it, he blessed the umbrella with the powers he could gather right now. 

 

“May you stay here for all years to come, little umbrella.”

 

The sky started to clear, finally, and the way the sun shone on him told Kyuhyun his father thought he was being silly.


“It’s alright, father, we never said anything about cheating~” He smirked, “I was just being smarter than him.” 

 

Kyuhyun looked once again at the sea. The rain was stopping, and humanity was moving once again.

 

 He couldn’t wait for sunnier days to come.