Trouble in Twinland

A Tale As Old As Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since their road trip, things have been going extremely well between Hae Rin and Kyungil. Hae Rin even framed her fake wedding photos and decorated her room with it. Hae Jin continued working at the studio while Jun had joined the same university as Hae Jin. Jun has been actively pursuing Hae Jin to date him, now that he wasn’t underage anymore.

 

Meanwhile, Hae Jin has started playing all sorts of pranks with Kyungil since he was like a family member to them. At times, things were out of hand, yet Kyungil took it lightheartedly as he knew she meant no harm in them and also knew that Hae Jin has always been the mischievous twin.

 

Months passed by, one day, Hae Rin flopped down on their living room couch and sighed heavily. “Guess no date today.” Hae Jin flashed her twin a curious look, “Oppa is out having drinks with his friends and is worried he might not be able to get out of there on time. So we are cancelling our reservation.”

 

“Too bad. Wanna hang out with me?” Hye Jin asked, rummaging her closet to find a dress to wear.

 

“No, it’s okay Jin. Oppa said that he would call later when he manages to slip out and that we could just hang out at his place.” She smiled, “Maybe I’ll take a bath,” she grabbed a towel and headed into the bathroom, then music wafted out through the cracks of the bathroom door.

 

A few minutes later, Hae Rin’s phone rang. At first, Hae Jin didn’t pay any attention to it as she was busy looking for an outfit. When the phone started to ring multiple times, she popped into her sis’s room and found the phone on top of the dresser.

 

Her eyes twinkled mischievously as she answered the phone and quickly agreed to whatever the other person was saying with merely a word or two. Then she quickly but silently rummaged Hae Rin’s wardrobe to find an outfit and before long, she got ready and headed out, not forgetting to grab Hae Rin’s phone along with her.

 

Nearly an hour later, Hae Rin walked out of the bathroom, feeling refreshed. Momentarily she wondered her phone's whereabouts but her favorite song playing through the smart speaker distracted her. She dried her hair, grabbed a glass of hot chocolate and settled on the couch, before turning on the TV.

 

A while later, there was still no call from Kyungil. So she assumed that he couldn’t manage to get away from there. She was starting to feel hungry, so she grabbed some leftovers from their fridge and appeased her hunger while still watching TV and she even ended up falling asleep like that.

 

At almost dawn, she was woken up by a loud sobbing. She sat up groggily and saw her sister, trying to wake her up. “Hae Jin-ah? What’s wrong?” she sat up straight, worried at the sight of the mess her sister was in.

 

“Hae Rin-ah, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry,” she kept uttering them again and again in between her sobs.

 

Her sister kneeling down in front of her and crying her hearts out, only worried Hae Rin more. “Kang Hae Jin! What happened? Come and sit here,” Hae Rin noticed her sister was wearing her clothes as she helped her get up and sit beside her on the couch. She also reeked of alcohol.

 

“I- I- I-” she stuttered for a moment before she narrated everything that had happened and by the time she finished it, Hae Rin only stared at her blankly, completely lost on how to react to the revelation. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. You won’t hate me now, right?” She continued to sit there silently as Hae Jin continued to ramble on and on, uttering apologies again and again, before she eventually fell asleep on the couch.

 

However, it was a different case with Hae Rin now. The sleep was long gone and when the things she heard had finally set in, she broke out into tears. She sat down on the floor in a crouched position as she silently let the tears flow down freely.

 

Her heart told her that there has to be some sort of misunderstanding and that she should listen to the two sides of the story before coming to a conclusion and yet she felt like the whole world has come crashing down on her.

 

Suddenly, she decided to confront the situation upfront instead of moping over it. She stood up abruptly, wiped her tears away aggressively, grabbed her jacket, wore her shoes and headed straight over to Kyungil’s place.

 

Upon reaching his place, she attacked the bell button a few times until the door flung open and there stood Kyungil, still half-asleep and with unkempt bed hair. His face beamed at the sight of her, “Hae Rin-ah, what are you doing here so early? Come in,” he moved aside, to let her in but she stood fixed to her spot with a serious look on her face, “Hae Rin-ah?”

 

“Is Hae Jin telling the truth? You know about last night?”

 

He sighed hearing it, “I don’t know what she told you but nothing happened.”

 

“Did you kiss each other?” she interrupted him.

 

“Yes, but–”

 

“Was it more than a simple peck?” she continued, her voice starting to shake a little.

 

“Hae Rin-ah,” He walked closer to her and tried taking a hold of her hand but she took a step back.

 

“Answer me, Song Kyungil. Did you?”

 

He sighed once again, “I’m so sorry, but-”

 

She slapped him, not wanting to hear it anymore. “Definitely didn’t expect this from you, oppa.” She said, holding back her tears and when she was about to leave, Kyungil caught hold of her wrist, but Hae Rin wiggled out of his gentle hold, “Oppa, whatever you want to say, I don’t want to hear it anymore now. Please let me go and don’t follow me.”

 

Kyungil sighed and let her leave for now even though he wanted to explain things to her then and there. He ran his hand through his unkempt hair, his heart ached at the sight of her leaving form which was clearly exuding pain.

 

Instead of heading back home, Hae Rin simply wandered the streets with tears streaming down her cheeks, not minding the looks she garnered from the people walking past her. She took out her phone and looked through her contacts, wondering what she should do now.

 

She couldn’t call Da Yeong as she and Benji had been living together now and she didn’t wish to disturb them especially so early in the morning and as for the few friends from her university, they weren’t close enough for her to share such personal details with them.

 

As she walked around, she finally found herself standing at the entrance of Jun’s apartment building. Even though her feet led her up to his apartment, she couldn’t ring the bell as she still wasn’t sure if she was doing the right thing.

 

However, she didn’t have any more energy left in her to go elsewhere. Her body gave up and she flopped down into a squat and buried her face in her palms, sobbing quietly.

 

“Noona?” a voice came from behind, startling her. Jun had just returned from his morning jog. She turned her head slightly to look up at him and as soon as he saw her face, his face contorted in worry. “Noona, are you okay?” he asked, crouching down beside her while she shook her head softly.

 

Without uttering anything more, he stood up slowly, pulling Hae Rin up along and simply pressed in his security code and led her in. Then he led her to his bedroom and sat her on his bed, “Wanna talk about it?” she shook her head once again.

 

He nodded softly, grabbed a box of tissues, then pulled out a fresh sheet of blanket from the closet and placed them on the bed beside her. Then he walked out of the room, only to return a while later with a cup of hot drink, a lid covering it. He placed it on top of the bedside table, “I will be outside. Call me if you need anything else, noona.” Then he left the room.

 

Jun gave her the space she seemed like she needed and carried on with his routine, taking bath, preparing breakfast, then did some assignments and every now and then, he could hear soft sobs escaping the room. He wasn’t sure what had happened but seeing her on his doorstep instead of Kyungil’s, gave him a vague idea.

 

But when it got a bit late in the morning and Hae Rin was still cooped up in the bedroom, he walked over and knocked on the door, “Noona, I’m coming in,” he announced before creaking the door open.

 

Hae Rin sat near the headboard of the bed with the blanket wrapped around her as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter