No More Playing Games

A Tale As Old As Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On Sports day, Hae Rin, Benji, Da Yeong, Sang Woo and a few others were at the gym. Momentarily, Jun came there along with his coach on an errand and while waiting on the sideline, he happened to hear some unpleasant things from Sang Woo and his friends.

 

Jun landed a punch on Sang Woo and soon things were slowly escalating into a brawl. Hae Rin got in between the two parties and tried to stop them, when Sang Woo suddenly pointed towards them and made some lewd comment. But before Jun could react again, she quickly grabbed Sang Woo's extended arm and threw him over her shoulder, stunning the entire gym audience, including Jun, the staffs and the coach who had just entered.

 

These kind of moves could be easily expected from the other twin but coming from the usually quiet twin, really shocked everyone. The P.E teachers rushed over to the crowd and inquired about the incident. Jun opened his mouth to answer them but Hae Rin grabbed his arm and shook her head.

 

“It’s my fault sir. The others were only trying to stop me.” Hae Rin spoke out while Sang Woo’s friends helped him up.

 

The teacher tried to figure out what had happened, and after having failed to do so, summoned both the perpetrator and the victim to the staff room, along with some of the other people standing closer to them.

 

“Don’t say anything,” she mouthed to Jun, as they followed the teacher.

 

Upon reaching the staff room, the teacher still looked baffled. Hae Rin has never gotten into any trouble till then and so has Sang Woo. So the teacher couldn’t understand why such students of his has suddenly gotten into trouble.

 

“We are sorry for worrying you, sir. It was just a lover’s spat but we just got a little rowdy.” Sang Woo spoke up suddenly, while Hae Rin stared at him in surprise.

 

“Is that so?” the teacher looked at Hae Rin, who immediately nodded her head while holding back Jun who wanted to speak out. The teacher slowly looked at the other students to see if they had anything disputing their claim but since everyone else confirmed it too quite eagerly, except for Jun who only did it for Hae Rin, the teacher sighed.

 

“Fine, I’ll take that but only since you both have maintained a good record so far.” He let them off with a strong warning but Hae Rin got two days suspension off-record.

 

As they walked out of the staff room, Jun was trying to protest how unfair it was to her and stuff while Sang Woo tried talking to her, “Not now sunbae. Let’s talk about this another day.” She sighed, before turning towards Jun, “Let’s get out of here now. We need to talk.” Then she turned towards the third person there, “And what the hell are you doing here?” she asked as the three made their way over to the boxing club.

 

“Oh, I was one of the bystanders. Caught everything on camera. That was one amazing throw, sis,” Hae Jin said nonchalantly.

 

Jun was shocked hearing that and wanted to know why she hadn’t turned in the video then, to which Hae Jin replied it was her twin’s request. “The suspension is off-record, Jun. Things could have gotten a lot worse if the truth was revealed. You did hit him first before I got there. You could have gotten barred from the tournaments forever. I’ll deal with him later. You just concentrate on your upcoming match.” Hae Rin consoled the younger boy who still seemed agitated by the unfairness. “Oh, also, please don’t tell dad about this,” she requested both her sister and the boy.

 

 

For the next two days, she acted like she was too sick to attend school in order to not let her parents know of her suspension. She also arranged for a meeting with Sang Woo after she got back to school following her suspension, and gave him an earful about the entire incident before asking him for a breakup. She also warned him to stay away from her loved ones if he didn’t want his high school reputation tarnished.

 

 

 

A few months passed by peacefully after their breakup. It was soon time for Sang Woo to graduate high school while Hae Rin was completing her second year. Kyungil finally got discharged from military and was spending his free time at home, meeting friends and so, before he returned to his university.

 

Also since he had a lot of free time in hand, he hung out with the twins and Jun a lot too. He also started tutoring the twins for their CSAT and also their High School final year. Even after his classes began, he continued to tutor them once or twice a week over video calls, and during weekends, and whenever possible, he came home.

 

Most of the time, it was just Hae Rin who needed his help, although Hae Jin joined the tutoring sessions too since she felt it helped her too, even if she didn’t have any doubts or questions herself. And on most days, Jun was there at the girls’ place too, since he has assumed Kyungil’s role from his school days, or at least that’s what he said to himself.

 

Also, this tutoring only made things difficult for Hae Rin, since spending time with Kyungil only rekindled all the feelings that she believed to have buried deep down. Although this rekindling did help her work double hard to not disappoint him.

 

Soon it was the summer holidays for the kids and yet, they both continued with their studies most of the time, although they did take a breather every now and then. The CSAT was just a few months away and the pressure was high on the kids albeit their parents being quite chill about it.

 

Since Kyungil was also on his semester break, he spent most of the time at his hometown, helping the kids how much ever he could. On one such day, Kyungil was at the Kang’s residence, tutoring the twins as usual. Since it had been a while the girls have been studying, he advised them to take a break before continuing. Hae Jin readily stood up and walked out of the room, while Hae Rin continued to work on something she was struggling with, prior to the break.

 

“Hae Rin-ah, it’s good to take a break and unwind yourself every now and then. We can get back to the problem after the break.”

 

“Let me just solve this one, oppa. I’ll definitely take a break after that,” she assured him, as she continued with the solving.

 

Kyungil quickly dragged his chair closer to her and looked at the question she was struggling with, “Can I help?” he asked her while she nodded. He grabbed a rough sheet of paper and pen and started solving the problem, explaining the logic and steps to her along the way.

 

When he finished explaining, he looked at her to check if she understood, only to get taken aback by the sudden crash of her lips on his. She moved her lips gently against his, trying to get him to respond while he remained frozen on spot, suprised by her action.

 

“Oops!” a voice exclaimed in the background, making the girl finally break away.

 

Kyungil adorned a blank face, too stunned to react in any way, while Hae Rin flushed beet red, “Excuse me,” she quickly sprung onto her feet and rushed out of the room.

 

Kyungil stood up too and walked out of the room, before asking Hae Jin to stay put. He found Hae Rin sitting on the low, wooden platform in the front yard. “May I join you too?” he walked up to her while she silently moved aside, without sparing any glances in his direction.

 

He sat down on it and remained silent, “I know I messed up. I’m sorry.” She suddenly started, “I apologize for kissing you impulsively. But, I’m not gonna apologize for having feelings for you.” She told him, as her eyes started turning glassy. She quickly averted her gaze, “And I know it’s not an excuse for the way I behaved.” She started rambling inaudibly.

 

Kyungil let out a soft chuckle, “Who asked you to?”

 

“Huh?” Hae Rin looked at him, surprised.

 

“I mean, who asked you to apologize for your feelings now?” she stared at him blankly, “Hae Rin-ah, it’s okay to have feelings for someone. It’s okay to confess it to them. It’s also okay to keep it to yourself. As long as one’s not hurting anyone in the name of love, it’s also okay to handle one’s feelings in their own way. But at the same time, they should also respect the other person’s feelings too. So it’s not okay to act solely based on your own feelings without any regards to the others.”

 

Hae Rin’s body started trembling a bit as tears slowly streamed down her cheeks, “Hae Rin-ah?” Kyungil was taken aback. He hesitatingly extended his hand towards her and patted her back, all the while being confused by the sudden turn of events.

 

A moment later, her body stopped shaking. She quickly wiped away her tear stained cheeks, “I understand what you mean, oppa. Got it loud and clear. I’m sorry for troubling you with my feelings.” She stood up, bowed to him before quickly walking back into her house while rapidly wiping away the fresh tears that streamed down her face again.

 

Kyungil was confused with how things had suddenly transpired. “Well done, Mr. Song.” Hae Jin slow clapped as she walked out of the house. “Sometimes you are so dense that you make me wonder how you ended up tutoring us.”

 

“What?”

 

“Why did you have to be harsh on her?”

 

“What did I do?” he asked, perplexed. “She didn’t let me finish,”

 

“You like her, don’t you?”

 

“WHAT?” he shrieked. “She’s just a kid.”

 

“She’s over 18 now. But yeah, yeah, you can keep telling that to yourself if it makes you sleep better.” Hae Jin smirked.

 

“Just get back inside and do the assignments I gave earlier.”

 

“Done with it all ages ago,” she retorted.

 

“Just get back inside and do something else,” he shooed her in, getting flustered.

 

“Alright, I’ll head in. but I think, you should head back too, oppa. Enough of tutoring for today.” She said, while he unconsciously nodded his head, lost in thoughts.

 

Hae Jin headed back into their house and went straight to their room. She saw her weeping in her bed. She walked up to her and flopped herself down on the bed and gently touched her, “Hae Rin-ah?” she whispered, “Why are you crying?”

 

“Oppa just rejected me, I think,” she whispered, still crying.

 

“I don’t think that was the case,” Hae Jin mumbled, while Hae Rin continued to cry, not really paying any attention to her sister. “Don’t cry now. We will f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter