Are You Talking About Me?

A Tale As Old As Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kang Hae Rin stood in front of her new school’s gate. Her father has just dropped her there and left hurriedly to attend his first day briefing at his new office, but only after she assured him repeatedly that she would be able to manage things on her own. Somehow, the father and the daughter pair ended up being late on their first day of work and school respectively.

 

She took in a deep breath to quieten her pacing heart. It hasn’t been that long since she’s been in the country. Although she was born there, she hardly remembers anything about attending school there. Her family has emigrated abroad when she was still in Kindergarten.

 

As she walked to the gates that were now closed on account of classes being already started, the watchman questioned her on something which she only half-understood. She was fluent with Korean but people in that town spoke with accents that made it a bit difficult for her to understand things at times.

 

She mumbled something to him who let her in afterwards, still mumbling something. She nodded to him and quickly made her towards the administration building. She saw a few students in the distance but they wore different uniforms than what she was wearing.

 

She slowly walked into the building, trying to find her way around, when she bumped into someone who wore similar uniforms to the ones she saw earlier. She bowed to him, mumbling some apologies and walking past him.

 

“Excuse me, are you lost?” he called after her, halting her in her steps.

 

“Yes, I am.” She scratched the back of her neck in embarrassment and turned around to face him again, “would I be troubling you if I asked for your help?” she asked him, noticing the student council armband wrapped around his arm.

 

“Well, that would depend on the type of help you ask,” he grinned at her playfully. He took a glance at his watch, “You are in luck today. I’ve got some time to spare. So how can I help you?”

 

“Can you please guide me to the administration office?”

 

“Why? Are you trying to find someone? Like your brother or sister?” her face scrunched up with confusion, “Or are you here to lodge a complaint against someone who has been bullying you?”

 

She shot him a look as if he has gone bonkers, “Neither of them. I’m here to complete my registration process. I’m a new student.”

 

He let out a chuckle, “You are at the wrong place then,” she looked up, taken aback, “As you can see from our uniform, this place isn’t for you. Your campus is over there.” He pointed at the buildings across the school ground, “You see, this is the high school campus. Follow me, I’ll take you to the right place.”

 

She turned red in embarrassment, “no wonder the security guard pointed at those buildings and said something earlier. Anyway, you need not trouble yourself. Just show me the way to get there, I’ll find out the rest for myself.”

 

“Oh no trouble at all. I’m heading there anyway. So just follow me.” He started leading the way while she slowly followed behind. “By the way, I’m Song Kyungil.” He introduced himself when they reached there.

 

“I’m Kang Hae Rin,” she extended her hand and shook his.

 

“Welcome to our school. Hope you have a good time here. If you go down this corridor, you will come across the admin office. I’ll get going then. I gotta head this way,” he pointed to the other side, “See you around sometime.” He saluted her with a wink and walked away in the direction he pointed.

 

Hae Rin fixed her huge glasses that covered nearly half of her face and slowly headed over to the office. After finishing all the procedures needed for her enrollment, she headed towards the classroom she was assigned to.

 

Since the class was already going on, the teacher wasn’t that pleased to receive a new student in the middle of the class. So she made Hae Rin just introduce her name to the class before assigning her to an empty seat beside a boy, who greeted her with so much enthu, that being an introvert, she felt like her energy was already draining out of her.

 

“I’m Bae Jae Wook. But you can call me Benji.” The guy flashed her a smile as she took her seat beside him while she whispered back her name to him. The girl who sat across from Hae Rin waved at her which she reflected with a shy wave of hers.

 

And as soon as the break came, the girl quickly jumped up and stood in front of Hae Rin, “Hey, I’m Yun Da Yeong.” Along with her, a few other guys stood there who looked like they were waiting for someone. “Would you like to join us for lunch?” Benji cut in.

 

“Yah Bae Benji! Lay off her. Can’t you see you are making her uncomfortable?” the girl reprimanded him before turning to Hae Rin, “He has always been this hyper since the day he came to this school. So don’t mind him. He’s just overfriendly. Anyway, you are welcome to join us for lunch later but even if you are not, it’s okay. And feel free to come t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter