Audition

Blindly

The next morning, Jongup woke up to the sunlight streaming through his window again. 

The blue rose next to him still shone.  Three more petals, three more wishes. 

What did he want? He was already so happy with his mother, Daehyun, Youngjae, and his father back. 

Yongguk and Zelo.

He quickly reached for the flower and cleanly plucked another perfect petal.

"I wish that Yongguk hyung and Zelo were my neighbors now, too.  And that they remember me." Jongup said.  He tucked the flower away again and got dressed.  Faintly, the doorbell rang downstairs.  Pulling his shirt down over his head, he walked down to see who the early visitor was.

"Hello boys!  You must be our new neighbors!" Jongup heard his mother say.  Jongup quickly rushed towards the front door. 

"Wah!  Jongup hyung!  I didn't know you lived here!" Zelo said, rushing and hugging Jongup tightly.

"Oh, you know them already, Jonguppie-ah?" Mrs. Moon asked, smiling brightly.

"You must be Mrs. Moon.  I'm Bang Yongguk, and this is my little brother, Zelo.  He goes to school with Jongup." Yongguk said, politely bowing and giving his gummy smile.

Jongup was confused for a second.

Of course Yongguk and Zelo wouldn't say they know him from being neighbors in the mountains--that never happened.  In this world, Jongup simply knew Zelo as a friend from school.  It didn't matter to him though.  Jongup had his friends back and he wasn't complaining.

"We just wanted to say hello, and that we're going to be your new neighbors." Yongguk said, patting Jongup on the head.

"Awesome, hyung!" Jongup said happily, high fiving Zelo.

"Come in, boys.  I'll make you something to snack on." Mrs. Moon brought the three boys to the living room, then went back to make food. 

"Wanna watch Music Bank again, hyung?" Zelo suggested.  Jongup was confused again.  Yongguk and Zelo had their memories of their time with Jongup, but they didn't mention anything about the mountains.

"Sure," Jongup said instead, dismissing his thoughts. Maybe the flower worked in mysterious ways.

Just as Jongup grabbed the remote, the doorbell rang again.  Jongup handed the remote to Yongguk and went to go open the door. 

It was none other than Daehyun and Youngjae. 

"Hey Jongup.  We wanted to know if you wanted to come to our audition with us later today." Daehyun said, smiling brightly. 

"Ah, of course.  Come in, I want to introduce you to Yongguk hyung and Zelo." Jongup said, grinning as he led Daehyun and Youngjae to the living room. 

"Zelo, hyung, these are my friends Daehyun and Youngjae." Jongup introduced, "And guys, this is Yongguk hyung and Zelo."

"Nice to meet you, hyungs!" Zelo said excitedly, "Come sit by us!  We're gonna watch some music videos now!"

Youngjae and Daehyun smiled at the younger boy's energy.  They sat down comfortably next to Yongguk and Zelo.

After watching a few music videos, all of the boys were standing up and "performing" right along with the idols on the TV. 

Yongguk and Zelo took up all the rap parts while Youngjae and Daehyun switched off on the vocalists' parts.  Occasionally, Jongup would rap and sing as well.  Jongup and Zelo danced impressively.  They even tried to teach Yongguk, Himchan, and Daehyun how to dance a little.

A while later, they started to look like an idol group in training. Mrs. Moon complimented the boys as she set a tray of goodies on the table.

"Very impressive, boys.  I'm going to the store now.  I'll see you later, Jongup.  If you go somewhere, don't forget to lock the door!"

"Neh, omma!" Jongup said, quickly waving to her. 

"That Man Opposed" by Dalmatian started to play.  The boys quickly returned their attention to the screen and began singing and dancing again.

"You guys are really good!" Youngjae said to Zelo and Yongguk as the song ended.  "Yeah!  And Jongup, I didn't know you could dance so well!" Daehyun added.

"I want to become a famous rapper one day." Zelo said with a dreamy look in his eyes. 

A light bulb lit up in Youngjae's head. "That's it!" The boys all turned to Youngjae with confused expressions on their faces.  "What if we all go the audition, as a group?  We're all pretty good!  We could debut together!"

The boys all voiced their approval of Youngjae's plan. 

"You really think we'll do good, hyung?" Zelo asked, bouncing up and down.  Youngjae nodded.  "I think we're pretty good.  And your rapping skills are impressive for a kid your age." Zelo smiled happily.

"It's about time to go to the audition, anyway.  Come on, let's go!" Daehyun said, turning off the television. 

"Let me get something really quick, okay?" Jongup said quickly before rushing upstairs.  After making sure no one followed him out of curiosity, he went over to his bed and picked up his flower. 

Taking a deep breath, he decided to use his fourth wish.  "I wish that we will become the best, absolute, perfect idol group!" After tucking the flower with the one remaining petal back under his pillow, he went back downstairs.

Jongup poked his head into the kitchen.  "Omma, I'm going to an audition!"

"Oh?  I'm proud of you.  I know you'll do really well.  Fighting!" She called back brightly. 

Gaining confidence from his mother's cheering, Jongup and the boys excitedly rushed towards the TS Entertainment building.

---

"Hm..." The judge glared at the five boys.  He looked over all of them carefully, causing them to squirm nervously. 

The judge was an older man who looked like your typical businessman.  He was clean shaven and wore glasses that sat low on his nose.  To the younger kids, he looked strict and mean.  Zelo, the youngest of the five, slightly hid his tall body behind Yongguk's.

"I'm scared." Zelo whispered to his hyung, grabbing onto the older boy's jacket.

Yongguk patted Zelo's shoulder reassuringly.

"You're obviously not ready..." The man muttered.  "But..." Jongup's heart felt like it dropped for a second.  Had his wish not worked? 

"But?" Youngjae prodded boldly. His eyes searched the judge's for something more than a flat out rejection.  Jongup eagerly awaited the judge's reply.

"I'm quite...impressed, by you boys." The judge finally said, nodding slightly.  "Yes, I expect that you can all debut as a group with one or two years of training."

"So soon?" Daehyun asked in disbelief.  The judge nodded, writing something on the papers in front of him. 

"Yes!!" Zelo yelled, jumping up and down excitedly.

"The CEO will review your audition and you can expect a call within the week." The man said, dismissing the boys.

The five walked out of the TS Entertainment building with their hearts beating fast.  "I can't believe we're going to be idols!  And in only one or two years!" Youngjae was the first to speak.  Everyone nodded and grinned widely. 

"We must be pretty good, if we can debut so soon," Daehyun added. 

Jongup smiled, but then frowned.  "I've never performed in front of anyone before.  None of us really have.  How will we know what to do?"

"Yongguk hyung used to be in a group before.  Not an idol group, but he has experience!" Zelo said, patting Yongguk on the back. 

"Wow!  You were in a group already?" Daehyun asked, impressed.  Yongguk blushed and looked at his feet.  "W-Well..." Yongguk coughed, his cheeks and ears reddening even more.  "Hyung is embarrassed," Zelo whispered to Daehyun.

The boys all laughed as they made their way back to the Moon residence, teasing their Yongguk hyung the whole way.

---

After playing a few video games and watching the TV, the boys decided to go home and tell their parents of their audition success.  

Jongup told his mother about the audition over a home cooked meal.  "I knew you'd do great, Jonguppie-ah." She said with a smile. 

The front door opened and Jongup leaned back in his seat to see who had just come.  It was his father, who dropped his briefcase on the couch before coming into the kitchen.

"Appa, you're home!" Jongup said, grinning as Mr. Moon ruffled Jongup's blonde hair.  He had never called his father "appa" before, but it felt nice.  It made Jongup feel closer to his once distant father.

"I hear you went to an audition today." Mr. Moon said, eyeing Jongup.

Jongup gulped.  Pre-wish Mr. Moon hated idols, claiming that they didn't have to work for anything and got too cocky. 

"S-Sorry, I should've told you--"

"Ani.  I'm proud of you, Jongup-ah." Mr. Moon's grin was enough to light up the room.  One could clearly see where Jongup got his bright smile. "So, how did you do?"

Jongup's smile matched his father's. "We did really good!  We're going to debut within two years!"

"That's my son," Mr. Moon said with a proud, fatherly look on his face. 

"It's getting late, Jongup." Mrs. Moon reminded, glancing at the clock that read 11PM.  Jongup nodded, said good night to his parents, and went upstairs to take a shower.

He washed quickly and then pulled on his sleep clothes.  Jongup got into bed, but couldn't sleep. 

Was he missing something? 

His life was great now.  His father was successful and a great dad.  His mother was back.  Daehyun and Youngjae were his best friends again.  Yongguk and Zelo were his neighbors again.  The audition went well, and he couldn't wait to debut in such a short time. 

But he felt like he was missing someone...or something.

Jongup thought back to when he was in the forest.  The memory was a little foggy, because in this "reality," he had never lived there. 

Then he remembered the blonde hair similar to his own.  The blindfold.  The long conversations.  The beautiful flower field where he later found the blue rose.  Those piercing, strange eyes.

Kim Himchan, his first friend from the mountain.

Jongup pulled out the rose and looked at the last remaining petal. 

His life was good now.  Jongup thought about anything he'd like, like money or fame.  But honestly, with his mother, father, and friends back, he was content with his life.  He only wanted to see Himchan again.

He carefully pinched the final petal between his thumb and forefinger, pausing before plucking it off. 

"I wish I was with Himchan again." Jongup said, placing the empty stem of the flower on the nightstand. 

Jongup felt black surround him and he fell into a peaceful sleep.

In that instant, Jongup knew that he was the happiest he could ever be.

 

~~~

...So that part where Jongup wishes the group could be the "best, absolute, perfect idol group" was kind of corny.  Sorry. LOL.

Next to last chapter!  It's been too happy, hasn't it?  That'll change.

Also!  Thank you everyone who has commented!  It makes my day when I see that I have new comments ; v ;