Enemies

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon POV

 

 

“You ever wonder why out of all the places in the universe, we ended up in the Andromeda?”

 

Your head turns towards Eunchae, who stares blankly at the white wall across from where you sit.

 

The two of you sit on the floor, just outside of the office where Unit 3 works. After another exhausting ‘practice’ session with your newfound abilities, you decided to surprise Sakura again after what felt like forever. Upon turning the corner that leads to the office, you found Eunchae leaning against the wall by the entrance. Apparently Sakura and the other girls were stuck in a meeting with a few council members, and since she wasn’t particularly needed, Sakura allowed Eunchae to take an extended break.

 

“Technically we ended up in the Milky Way Galaxy, but go on,” You stifle a laugh as Eunchae shoots you a glare.


“You know what I mean! Life is able to exist here, in this solar system that’s in a galaxy with only a few other solar systems that are able to sustain life, in a universe so big humans can’t comprehend how big it is!”

 

“We haven’t even explored all of the Andromeda yet,” You add, and Eunchae points at you with wide eyes.

 

“You’re right!” She turns forward once more, facing the blank wall. “If I were able to breathe in space like Captain Kkura, I would explore everything there is.”

 

You let out a huff of laughter. “Don’t you have a job?”

 

The latter shrugs, nonchalant. “Missing it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. In the universe, even.”

 

Nodding, you let silence fall upon you again. 

 

Eunchae reminds you of Sakura in that aspect. Although, there are differences. While Sakura talks about her experiences of training to be in the Division with regret, Eunchae talks about them as if they were the best years of her life. Granted, she has lived her life for a shorter time than Sakura, but they are still her experiences.

 

Except, when Eunchae says things like that in a way so apathetic, you’re reminded of Sakura. Almost like Sakura, she sounds as if she couldn’t care less if she didn’t have the job she has now. 

 

“What do you like to do outside of work? Your hobbies,” Your curiosity gets the better of you, pushing you to ask this harmless question.

 

Eunchae rests a finger on her chin, thinking. Her eyes brighten and a wide smile is plastered on her face. “I like to draw! Not portraits or anything like that. I prefer to draw the stars, or maybe nature? EIther of those two.”

 

“Planets and galaxies?”

 

The younger nods with a bright smile. “The colors are pretty, and blending them together is fun when I have the time to. Plus, with the amount of them in the universe, I’ll never run out!”

 

You chuckle. “I would have never thought you were an artist.”

 

“Not a lot of people know, only Yunjin, Zuha, Captain Kkura, and now you,” Eunchae smiles, turning to look at you. “My closest friends.”

 

“I’m one of your closest friends?”

 

“You are now,” The girl replies with a grin. Your heart swells with happiness.

 

You smile before asking the question you’ve been wanting to ask.

 

“Did you want to become an artist? A professional?”

 

Eunchae’s smile falters slightly before she puts on a new one, a more fake one. “When I first started taking classes to join the Seraph Division, I didn’t. I mean, who knows what they want to be when they’re five years old?”

 

You nod, showing her that you’re listening.

 

“I’ve always liked drawing, but a few years ago is when I started wishing that I were on a path to becoming an artist.”

 

Your eyebrows furrow. “Why did you start taking classes to join the Seraph Division? You didn’t know if you wanted to be in it, right?”

 

The younger nods. “I didn’t, but my family wanted me to. I don’t remember most of the conversation, but basically my brother joined when I turned five, and he was already doing great things.” Eunchae explains with a small scowl. She’s upset. “My parents saw him doing well, so they enrolled me in classes.”

 

Against her will. The girl was five and they led her down a path for her career without her say.

 

“You…you seemed so excited to join.”

 

A sad smile on the teenager’s face. “I was, I wanted to make my family proud. But now that I’ve done it, there’s nothing else for them to be proud of. It’s like I did this for no reason.”

 

You wonder… is this the reason why Sakura seems to stick to the girl? Her reasons seem similar to Sakura’s, and you can picture this being the cause of her taking care of the younger.


“That’s how it is for a lot of younger people going into the Seraph Division, actually. It’s pretty sad,” Eunchae shrugs like what she said was any other thing. “That’s why we have our hobbies. Like drawing!”

 

Her wide smile is back, and you’re left surprised. How can one change moods so swiftly?

 

“It’s an escape?”

 

“An escape,” She nods enthusiastically. 

 

A small smile on your face. At least she’s able to forget about it for a small amount of time. 

 

“You should show me one day.”

 

A soft chuckle from the girl. “I will.”

 

You turn to look at Eunchae, only to notice that she looks as if she is lost in her thoughts, her face blank and arms crossed over her chest. 

 

Before she had the job in the Seraph Division, she was only smiling and laughing. This is completely different from those times. 

 

How many young seraphs have undergone this same experience? Have all of them had to give up their wants in turn for that of their parents? Is there really such pride in saying that their child is in the Seraph Division?


And of course the government takes all that it can get. They indulge in it, allowing anyone and everyone to join with the only criteria being that they have powers. 

 

The sound of the door sliding open tears you away from your thoughts. 

 

Your heart soars when your eyes meet with Sakura’s, who is passing through the door, but concern takes over when you see the expression on her face. Panic, her eyebrows creased. She’s upset.

 

The captain takes a breath before rushing towards you. Hurriedly, you stand up, extending your arms to offer her your support. She accepts, crashing into your arms and clutching onto the back of your sweater. Sakura buries her head into your neck, and you hear her uneasy breaths.

 

Eunchae watches a small distance away, worrying for her older friend. Eyebrows creased, one hand scratching the other.

 

“What happened? What’s wrong?”

 

She stays silent, leaving your question unanswered. You caress her back in an effort to comfort her, and she seems to appreciate it because she hugs you tighter, burying her head further into your neck.

 

“Sakura?”

 

You’re about to ask again when the sound of the door sliding open once more interrupts you. Out walks three members of the Council, their robes pulled over their uniforms with their hoods draped over their heads. They stare at you blankly.

 

“Please, please,” The captain begs, whispering. She trembles in your arms. You’ve never seen her so… broken. “Make them go away, Chae. Please.”

 

You feel your sweater beginning to dampen, and you can only assume that tears fall from her eyes. 

 

The Council Members continue to watch as the girl in your arms clings onto you. The one farthest to the left, Council Member Ry, narrows his eyes. You can only guess he’s attempting to intimidate you, and while you would be, Sakura matters more to you now than for you to back down. You narrow your eyes, returning Council Member Ry’s stare.

 

It seems to work, because he turns around along with the member to the far right, beginning to walk down the bare white hallway. The one in the middle stays, her sharp eyes focusing on Sakura.

 

“How unprofessional, Captain,” The Council Member spits, and your heart shatters when you hear Sakura flinch. “Showing such weakness should be enough for the Council to question your capability of leading the Division, a mere unit at that.”

 

Brown eyes turn a crimson red.

 

The Council Member takes a step forward. You pull Sakura back a step with you, wanting to keep her away from such a woman. She only stares in return.

 

“We taught you many things, Captain. Being a coward was not one of them.”

 

Venom trickles into your veins, and your jaw tightens. You inhale deeply, an attempt to calm the venom flowing in you. Except when Sakura whispers pleas for the Council Member to stop, you only feel it continue to rage.

 

The woman takes another step closer, only for you to pull Sakura a step farther.

 

Think, Chaewon. Sakura would defend you in an instant. Think, for Sakura wouldn’t hesitate to put her image at risk for you. She would risk anything, you know that.

 

And yet when you make eye contact with the cold of the Council Member’s eyes, her intense, penetrating gaze, you can only hold Sakura protectively.

 

“Anyone would jump at the chance to become commander, and we are simply giving it to you,” She hisses with a tilt of her head. “Should you not act more grateful to the opportunities given to you?” 

 

You feel your sweater absorb more of her tears, her shoulders shaking. 

 

 “I only see an irresponsible girl running from what is reality. Wake up, Sakura.”

 

A whimper, and she tugs at your clothes. 

 

“What a waste of power,” She spits. “Your serapha could have been much more useful if given to another seraph.”

 

The council member takes another step forward, almost reaching Sakura if you hadn’t stepped back more. She can’t touch her. You won’t let her.

 

“Alas, your luck seems to chase you, Captain. Your beloved ‘protects’ you as though you have any worth other than to follow orders.”

 

Sakura clutches onto your sweater with more force, whispering more pleas for you to rid the council member from your presence.

 

“You are expected to be at our will tomorrow, Captain. Have I made myself clear?”

 

When Sakura doesn’t respond, the Council Member lets out a harsh huff, turning to follow her colleagues, who are already a ways down the hallway.

 

The Council, the Raeixan government, glorifies the Seraph Division only to cause their citizens, the seraphs specifically, to be under an unnecessary amount of pressure. They give up their wants for the sole purpose of satisfying their planet’s government.

 

Sakura led an operation to destroy a planet for them. They pressured her to become what she despises, and they treat her like she’s nothing? Like she’s a tool, like she’s a pet? 

 

You hate them, you hate them with everything you have.

 

“Chaewon–” Sakura calls your name, interrupting herself for a breath. “Chaewon, can we– go home?”

 

Unsure, your eyes meet Eunchae’s soft one’s. You notice how red the back of her hand has become, blood on the verge of spilling. The girl nods, noticing your uncertainty. 

 

You nod, letting the girl feel your movement. “Yeah,” You speak softly. “Let’s go.”

 

As you move Sakura to your left side in order to walk, you wrap your arm around her own, intertwining your hands. She keeps her head down, avoiding Eunchae’s gaze as the two of you walk past the concerned girl.

 

A vibration to your wristband, and you bring up your right hand to check the notification you received. It’s a message from Eunchae.

 

I’ve never seen her like this before… Maybe the girls and I can come over to cheer her up after work? But still, until then, take care of her please…

 

You turn your head to look behind you to find Eunchae still watching you and Sakura walk away. You give her a small nod before returning your focus to the trembling girl by your side.

 

“They’re gone, Sakura. You don’t have to hold it in anymore.”

 

A choked sob, and her head drops lower. Soon enough, the girl you care for more than anyone breaks down in silent tears, her face turning a light shade of red.

 

Removing your arm from hers, you wrap it around her body instead, whispering words of reassurance. 

 

“Someone’s opinion of you does not make it the truth.”

 

Amidst her quiet sobs, she gives you a small nod.

 

With a breath of your own, you pull her closer. If the whole of Raeix turns her back on her, then she can lean on you.

 

The walk home with Sakura is short, only taking you about five minutes to walk from her workplace to her apartment. However, allowing her to calm down consumes the most time.

 

You do your best to comfort her, holding her in your arms as the two of you lay in bed with her head buried into your chest. Your hand continues to draw meaningless circles on her back.

 

“It’s tomorrow, they’re having me swear in tomorrow.”

 

Holding her tighter, you reply. “You’re not ready yet,”

 

You don’t ask as you already know the answer.

 

The girl in your embrace nods, confirming your words.

 

“I did what they asked for, Chae, maybe not exactly, but I still did it. They made me plan out an  attack without another choice, and they continue to throw me to the side.”

 

She buries her head further into your chest. “I don’t know what else to do for them to just leave me alone.”

 

“You’ve done more than enough, more than anyone should in their lifetime,” You answer, returning the softness in her voice with your own. “If I could, I would steal you away and never give you back to them.”

 

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter