two

Diaphanous

two

 

“My Daughter, Miss Rue, Your Majesty.”

 

I nearly kneeled in my bow as I felt my face burning from the embarrassment of being caught bickering with the Prince. I had simply been stating my argument that I was not a servant and I was not going to fetch anything for him.

 

“Is this her?” She mused lightly, giving me a once over before glancing at her son who looked looked annoyed waiting for his cup of warm milk.

 

“Honored to meet you, Your Majesty,” I cleared my throat, “I’m embarrassed of what has transpired but I couldn’t help my curiosity, you see. It's not everyday I'm startled awake in the middle of the night to welcome guest such as yourselves.”

 

The Queen let out a wistful sigh and laid a gentle grip on my father’s arm, “She is very much like you, poking around the corners in curiosity.”

 

Father gave me a weary smile and nodded, “I had hoped you would be able to meet her fresh from a wash in the morning but there is no time like the present.”

 

A servant came in calling Prince Jongin away, he dismissed himself to enjoy his warm milk in his guest room. I watched him stormin away, giving me a final scowl before I turned back to my father. The imprint of his stunning face etched in my brain. 

 

“I suppose now is the time to let you know that the reason my son’s troubles have cause me to go to such great lengths is that he is the most defiant in any marriage matches,” The Queen placed a tender hand on her forehead, “You’d think that my Baekhyun was the most of my troubles but even Chanyeol proved difficult and now Jongin and Sehun… All I need is Junmyeon’s marriage to collapse and it would be the end of me."

 

My father reached out to the Queen and gave her a tender smile, “Not to worry. I’ll make sure that Prince Jongin’s lessons would indeed give him a clear head. I must admit the autumn here misleads those who think they’ll have an easy winter.”

 

The Queen gave me a curious look as I stood awkwardly in front of them, “Only those with inherited toughness can withstand such frigid temperatures. Your mother was as delicate looking as a flower yet as strong as steel. It would do Jongin a great deal of good if he could be taught to withstand the adversities that come with life.”

 

“I’ll be sure to teach him well, Your Majesty,” My Father glanced at me, “I’ll be sure that somehow my daughter can soften over the next months. You see, I don’t think I’ll have much more resources to send her to another season if she doesn’t succeed next year.”

 

The Queen flashed me a smile and nodded, “I’ll be sure to send you help.”

 

Confused as to why the Queen was willing to help my situation out was baffling. Even in the middle of the night, I laid awake trying to think of how the Prince’s stay would even benefit him at all. Despite not knowing anything about his own problems, I summed up that someone like Prince Jongin would just spend his time in misery and then go back to his old ways once his time in confinement was over.

 

Nevertheless, I promised myself to stay out of his way and learn a new skill over the winter to keep myself occupied and out of Father's way. Perhaps I could learn a skill that is impressive and useful... one that is more acceptable like cheese making or picking out the sweetest fruits from the harvest.

 

Dearest Effie,

I find myself missing our long chats about life and it’s only been two weeks since I’ve departed the season. Strangely enough, I’m looking forward to next season. Although it might sound strange but Father has promised that it would be my last. I’m looking forward to never having to attending such suffocating parties. On the downside, I think the only thing I would miss dearly is you.

I have hopes that you’ll fare better in the marriage market than I will. I know you’re concerned with the lack of suitors but rest assure that you’ll have one crazy man fall for you regardless of your status.

Nevermind your standing in society, look at me. I, having a great family name and well known parents, still have been unable to find anyone interested in me, much less a partner who is well suited for me.

I think you just need to wait for your good fortune to turn in your favor. It is bound to happen. As for my fortune, I have a very unfortunate guest at my home that I’ve taken all measures to avoid. He’s been here for five days now and still can’t seem to remember my name. I hate to think how the rest of this winter will be like.

 

-Rue Song

PS. I’ve decided that I’ll be learning how to make cheese.
 What are you going to learn over this winter?

Fall by the seaside village of Daejin was by far the most beautiful in all of the kingdom. It wasn't as magnificent or extravagant as Saeryo Row in Hanseong but it was drenched in majestic autumn colors. The mist of the morning was thick hanging over the gentle wash of the ocean waves, contrasted by the brilliant vibrant red trees that poked color into the gray wash of the early morning. I’d often wake early, to sit by my window and watch the beauty of the warm sun slowly cut its way through the fog.

 

Today was no different.

 

I sat with my jammed toast and a cup of prepared tea as I blissfully watched the morning from my window. When it came time to begin my day, I slipped on a pair of warm leggings under the skirt of my frock and tied my apron around my waist, ready to greet the chickens and pick some fresh eggs for breakfast.

 

I made my way down, grabbing my basket along my walk towards the stables where we kept a humble chicken coop. The servants said four chickens would be enough to enjoy the product of their care. I tiptoed into the stable, softly greeting our groundskeeper who was tending to the horses, brushing its beautiful coat.

 

“Good morning Handae,” I smiled at the aged man with wiry gray hair.

 

“Miss Rue,” He nodded his head as I padded over to the coop, in search for eggs.

 

“I have a letter for you,” I smiled, handing over my prized letter to our groundskeeper to send. He looked over my scribble and smiled.

 

“Writing to the beautiful Effie,” He mused, “I’ll make sure this letter finds itself at a post by late afternoon. Now that I have time after the Queen left. The Prince certainly kept us busy before the Queen ordered us to refrain to bend at his will."

 

"How is the Prince doing?" I kindly asked, not really caring much for the answer. 

 

"As best as a prince can withstand without all the lavishes and services that are within his reach." Handae crinkled his nose, "I'll give him another week before his loses his mind."

 

I chuckled.

 

Handae glanced at the letter and cocked his head, "Miss Rue, I heard Effie will be at her winter home down in the south where it’s warmer, shall I have it sent there?”

 

I blinked rapidly, I wasn’t aware that my best friend had changed her plans. I was actually looking forward to spending a few trips up to her manor up in the hills where she had a beautiful view of the ocean from her room. We had always spent a few weeks of winter together. I chewed on my lip wondering if I had missed something Effie would have mentioned to me.

 

“That is fine,” I nodded my head, “How is it that you know, if you don’t mind me asking Handae?”

 

The kind old man’s smile reached his eyes, “Well our eldest daughter told us. If you're aware she's been working up at the Jeon Residence... she Effie's maid.”

 

“Ah,” I nodded my head, “Well yes, send to the south please.”

 

Handae nodded and pocketed my letter in his trousers. At that moment, there was a ruckus coming from our Manor. Only one could assume that the Prince has woken up.

 

“The Prince is quite the handful isn’t he?” Handae cheerfully commented, “He kept a few of us up at night tending to him.”

 

I inhaled slowly, “I hope the time spent here will humble him a bit. The winter will tame any wild heart.”

 

 Handae laughed, “Well he’s in for a rude awakening. You're right about that.”

 

I excused myself and made my way back to the kitchen, greeting the cooks who were busy trying to make a breakfast suitable for a Prince. Jumi, Handae’s wife, placed her round plump fist on her waist and gave me a look.

 

“Out in the stables again, Miss Rue?” She lightly scolded. I smiled and handed over the basket of much needed eggs, “Well I heard that the Prince has a big appetite in the morning, I thought it would be one less thing you would have to worry about. Considering that the entire village probably heard him wake up.”

 

“His schedule is something you shouldn't be worrying yourself with my dear. I worry for you, Miss Rue, out in the stables,” Jumi gave me a long look before looking down at my dirty shoes. I felt a blush come about on my cheeks but I stuck my nose in the air.

 

“I’ll have you know that I’ll be learning a new skill for the season, so I'll be occupied all this Winter,” I smiled, wiggling my brows as to entice their interest.

 

Another chef, Byeol, gasped, “Will you take up painting like your mother? She was quite gifted at that.”

 

I frowned, “No.”

 

“Then poetry?” Jumi clasped her hands together, “I’ve heard that Princess Kaira can recite the most boring poems into a work of pure musical bliss. Perhaps she can come across your work? She's read your father's work!”

 

“No,” I ducked my head.

 

“Then what Miss Rue?” Jumi huffed sensing the frustration that was about to fill her every inch.

 

“Cheese making?” I hesitated to admit. Upon seeing their displeasure, I figured that I could offer my second choice, “Or preserving fruits.”

 

Byeol sighed, “Men like pretty things to see or hear, how about learning piano? Or a few singing lessons Miss Rue.”

 

Selfishly enough, I wanted to learn those skills so I can happily eat for myself. I gave them a fake nod and agreed with their suggestions before I left the kitchens. Right at the door was a beautiful tray of treats that I eyed.

 

I gave Jumi a coy smile before snuck out of the kitchen with a delicate pastry in my hand topped with light cream. I indulged on the taste, taking a swipe of cream with my finger. I happily padded back to my room, unconcerned with the chill of the drafty main corridor. As I turned the corner, I bumped into a warm body, my pastry unfortunately had pressed hard into my chest and it’s remains had crumbled and smeared all over my apron.

 

I gaped at the loss of my treat but the sadness quickly was shoved aside in favor of another feeling: dread.

 

The Prince stood there checking his own pristine clothes as he noticed my pastry remains in my hand. His sharp eyes drifted down before he took a long sharp breath, trying to control his terrible morning. I could have been more understanding of this radical chance the Prince must be going through. I could have inquired what had disrupted his slumber so suddenly but, apparently, I had the patience the size of a grain of salt.

 

“Do you always appear out of nowhere?” I snapped, frustrated that I only had a taste of my pastry before it was destroyed. 

 

“Me? You bumped into me and I'm the one appearing out of nowhere? I could inquire my own speculations that you’re hiding around the corners just waiting to make an impression on me Miss…” He trailed off searchign for my name in his memory.

 

“RUE,” I glared.

 

“You’re making me late for my lessons,” He mumbled under his breath before he bumped into my shoulder to head straight for Father’s study, "Have my breakfast be sent to the study."

 

My mouth hung open being treated as a servant yet again. I huffed before doing the exact thing that had insulted me. I gave Byeon and Jumi the warning that the Prince wanted his breakfast served up in Father's study before I headed to the library to find an old cookbook that once belonged to my mother. It was filled with wonderful recipes that I would have loved to try except it was all in French and my understanding of the language was perhaps not as good as I thought it was. Nevertheless, as much as I would love to make something with my own hands, it would be impossible to even attempt the way our chefs and cooks heavily guard their sanctuary.

 

After a period of time had passed, looking over all the remarkable recipes, I moved on to the next book filled with Greek Mythology and opened it up to my favorite story of Hero and Leander, yet another story of love that I would never admit aloud that I relish in the guilty pleasures of the written word.

 

Curled up in my chair, I relieve every visual moment of the story feeling my heart clench of the two lovers separated by a river and only having the cover of the night to shield their secret love from the disapproving gods.

 

I knew that is what love should be like.

 

The anticipation and fleeting moments of stealing a kiss or a sweet word.

 

That’s what I wanted. It wasn’t that I was so opposed to being married or that I was being overlooked (which is also a huge contributing factor). It was that I imagined so much more for my love story that I couldn’t imagine anything else. I wanted the drama, the fantasy, and even a bit of tragedy.

 

I sighed wistfully as I caught both my Father and Prince Jongin walking by the library. I caught sight of the time signaling the midafternoon. Surprised so much time had already past, it made perfect sense the Prince was being lead to his outdoor work for the day. I gave the Prince a good glare who was sending me a disapproving look.

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

What an eye opener. After hearing the romantic gestures of Prince Baekhyun and how he fought against his own blood to be with the woman he loved, I suppose I expected his brothers to be as passionate and tender as the rumors depicted Prince Baekhyun as an excellent lover.

 

Prince Baekhyun must be if he was now announcing a new baby, their third.

 

Surely Prince Jongin could have inherited a bit of that charm. He wasn’t at all bad to look at. From the few interactions I've had he provened to be an insufferable as a guest, but I suppose teaching him how to be a good match as a royal is particularly hard to do. A job that was completely up to my father to instill in him.

 

I couldn’t imagine that it would be hard for someone to fall for that cheeky grin and the sharp eyes set on such a soft a face. Even the curve of his lips pulled attention in the most mesmerizing way. What troubles could he really be facing if it wasn't the way he presented himself...

 

I shook my head and look back at my book, gulping down my thoughts of him.

 

Still, if I were interested in him, hypothetically speaking, I think it would be easy to fall for someone like Prince Jongin. Father mentioned once he was quite gifted in writing as well as graceful in his steps when he danced, an observation anyone who attended the royal function would famously tell you is fact. Prince Jongin was quite the dancer. Perhaps he was just rotten to the core or just a spoiled good looking brat.

 

I sank further into my chair wondering if Leander from my Greek stories was a good dancer too.

“Miss Rue?”

 

Walking around the corridors with the cookbook in my hand, I stopped in my tracks at the sound of Jumi’s voice. I quickly closed the book and hid it behind my back.

 

“Yes, Jumi?” I smiled, widely hoping it would distract her.

 

“There are some warm towels that need to be delivered to Prince’s Jongin’s room. Would you be an angel and take them up? You know he's going to want to bathe after spending all of his afternoon in the stables,” She announced, “You know we would have no trouble doing it but our staff is all tied up preparing a lovely dinner and they need me back in the kitchen."

 

"Is there anything I could help with in the kitchen?" I blinked which earned a hard disapproving stare from Jumi.

 

"No," She crisply stated, "But’s been a week that we have survived with the Prince and so far, none of us have quit. I suppose it's cause for celebration, don't you think?”

 

I closed my eyes, “If he ever raises his voice at any of you, let me know. I’ll make sure he’ll get to hear from me.”

 

Jumi smirked and handed me a set of toasty towels to set by his bath that Byeol was tending to from what I was told. I pulled my hands from behind me to accept the towels and Jumi frowned.


“A cookbook I see,” She gave me a disapproving look. I felt a bit embarrassed but nevertheless, strong in my will to learn. Jumi sighed, “Nice well bred girls paint and what does our Rue do? Read books on cooking…”

 

She walked off and I promptly set out for Prince Jongin’s room. His quarters was on the opposite wing of the manor from where I resided. Father thought it would be best to keep him isolated so he would not be distracted and be able to focus on his nightly reflections.

 

I waddled up the stairs and turned to my left down the corridor. There was only one room on the left wing so I allowed myself to freely walk into the guest room. The bath water scent immediately hit my nose, the room smelling of dried roses and bergamot. Byeol was especially gifted in drawing soothing baths. Without much thinking, I headed straight to the bathroom, just as instructed to set the warm towels down.

 

I never imagined that I would be facing the form of the Prince just about to step into the bath. There was a lot of tanned smooth skin and ripples of muscle that I didn't know a persona could have. I yelped throwing the towels in the air. Just as I was about to cover my eyes and beg for his forgiveness, I saw the Prince turn around and I knew the shade of red that was poking at my cheeks was going to be permanently shading my face for the rest of my days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SO I think I want to attempt to make this story a bit more risque than my first. Let's see how this goes!