four

Diaphanous

four

 

 

“Needlework needs, well, work.” Governess Rose scrunched up her nose in distaste as she observed my latest creation. It was supposed to be a scene of a beautiful blooming cherry blossom tree but the mess of my threading made my flowers looked like blobs of pink. She pressed her lips together in a thin line, contemplating her next words.

 

“Well, it's fortunate that you didn't prick your finger raw today. Delicate hands are still a prize...” She set my needlework down while I examined my lack of feminine hands, “Ahem, nevertheless you are apt in writing and your knowledge of books makes you’re a great conversationalist.”

 

I gave a single nod, remembering that anything more was too eager and excitable and unbecoming of a lady. It reminded me of all the long drawn out days in schooling. Too many rules and no time for fun. As cold and unforgiving the winters were here, I much prefer the freezing freedom of my home than the stuffy parties when I had to attend to during the warm summers. 

 

“Men are natural teachers,” Rose sighed, gently tapping my head with her unfolded fan to chastise me, “Not many suitors would enjoy having a courtship with someone smarter than them.”

 

“Are you suggesting I-”

 

The Governess shook her head, “Goodness Miss Rue. I would never dare do such a thing to the Song Family name! Couldn't imagine stifling the inherited talent in this family. What kind of Governess would I be remember by if I instructed you to dumb yourself down? I’d have to report back to your father about how small your suitor pool will be. I can't think of many eligible men that would fit such a role.”

 

I frowned.

 

“Please don’t frown, Miss Rue,” She sighed, “It’s very unbecoming.”

 

I inhaled slowly to relax.

 

“Your morning routine can only do so much for that skin of yours,” She shook her head, “You must practice gentle washing and remind yourself of happy thoughts to ensure the best welcoming disposition.”

 

“Is that all for today’s needlework?” I asked, opening my drawer in hopes that I could place all my spools away.

 

Governess Rose nodded and announced that she would set out to bring me my morning tea. I sat still watching Rose stride out of my room and shut the door firmly behind her. I relaxed, exhaling and letting my back collaspes back into my chair. Prince Jongin came tumbling out of my wardrobe. He let out a small yelp as he hit the floor.

 

I stood up and quickly hushed him.

 

“You’re making a racket!” I hissed. He simply smirked.

 

“Handae said you received a letter.” He smiled widely and I understood why I was awaken by the Prince nudging me gently early this morning. It took only a moment of realizing that the Prince was in my room before I sprung up from my slumber. Then, as if by divine intervention, Governess Rose was knocking at my door for my first lesson.

 

I had pushed him into my wardrobe when he refused to react at all before the Governess allowed herself in announcing my schedule for the day, and that’s where the Prince has been hiding for the past hour.

 

“I’ll share with you the contents of her letter as soon as I’m free for the day.” I promised, rubbing the corner of my eye. Although it's been about an hour since I woke, I was still quite tired. It was a stark contrast to Prince Jongin who looked relitalized at this early hour. I yawned, “Are you not at all tired? You have not slept much at all.”

 

He shook his head, “No but hearing of her existence so close to me again is enough to keep me awake for two life times.”

 

I deflated for a moment.

 

“You best slip away before I’m punished for your uncouth behavior. May I remind you, you berated me for intruding on your bath yet you didn't hesitate to enter an unmarried woman's chamber.” I wagged a finger in his face before nudging him towards the door.

 

“Whatever do you mean?” He said, surprisingly confused. I blinked a motioned at my night gown and the lack of a chaperone.

 

He gave me a strange look, “You know there is no way I would cross a boundary with you. Afterall, I’m at your mercy to reconnect me with Miss Effie.”

 

I sighed, “It doesn’t matter of your true intentions, the staff and my father won’t take it too lightly to hear that you were in my room without supervision. Can’t you see how that looks to an outsider?”

 

“I wouldn’t risk my only opportunity.”

 

“So you see how delicate the situation you put us in from your own eagerness,” I narrowed my eyes at the bright eyed Prince. He held up his hands as he walked towards the door, he seemed to be mulling over something in his head.

 

“When did the Governess say you’ll be free?” He asked.

 

“By three in the afternoon,” I sighed.

 

“Would you meet me by the ocean? The gazebo?” He whispered as I gently pushed him out.

 

"It's looks like rain today," I muttered, motioning the dark cloudy morning we rose to. It was partly the reason why it was so hard to wake up when we were having such a gloomy day.

 

"The stables then," He suggested, "Handae usually leaves me to do the work alone now."

 

“Fine,” I hissed out quietly.  

 

“I’ll wait for you there,” He smiled, “By the way, what is this lesson of flirtation and art of seduction that you’ll be learning today? Can't imagine what that would entail-”

 

I groaned, “Oh, Your Highness! Out! Out!”

 

The Prince let out a howl of laughter as he was ejected from my chamber and I rushed around to find my night robe to cover myself up. It wasn’t so much because it was rather cold and drafty in my room. In fact, I could feel a flare of heat warning up my cheeks.

 

I fanned my face with my hands as I tried to prepare for my next lesson in. The Prince was not at all wrong. My next lesson was over the topic of enticing the opposite but it was not something I was particularly good at. I understood the methods and the idea behind it. I studied it in my last year of finishing school. It was just in practice that it felt too forced or even silly to do. I didn’t understand the great lengths we as women were expected to display for the attention of a suitor.

 

It all seemed a bit rehearsed and insincere.

 

I thought a courtship was supposed to be more natural. I mean the way it was written in my Greek books seems to confirm my beliefs.

 

I sighed and warmly greeted the Governess as she brought a tray of tea for the both of us. She set it on my reading table and clapped her hands together.


“Alright, let’s talk about .”

 

 

It was a rather long day of the most absurd techniques and explanations. After lunch and a quick nap, it was time for my last hour with Rose who insisted that I try on all the dresses I owned, in order to see what I could keep for next year's socials and what I should plan on ordering. The Governess Rose, insisted we should go into the market tomorrow to start planning out a whole new wardrobe. Needless to day she was not at all impressed with the lack of parasols I owned.

 

"A well respected lady should be sure to not let the sun touch her skin."

 

I politely accepted her plans for tomorrow while I swallowed another reminder of what I wasn't allowed to do. Once Rose had concluded the lessons for the day, I threw on my warm boots and rushed out of the manor to be greeted by an icy down pour. I made haste as I raced toward the stables, hearing the huffing of our three horses unsettled by the thunderous sound of rain pletting the roof of their home. I had hoped that the letter that was tucked away safely in my coat hadn't gotten wet. Once I was in the shelter of the stable, I patted my torso looking for the letter. 

 

The Prince's head popped out from an empty stall and grinned. While I was still wet from the cold rain, the Prince on the other hand was bone dry. His suspenders were hanging by his hips as he sauntered out. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up pocketing his hands causually. He looked pristine except for the bit of muck on his brown leathered riding boots. That was the only thing that was dirty on him. Even if he had been working in the stables for a few hours in the afternoon, he somehow managed to make it look elegant. There was not a bit of dirt on his face or his hands. 

 

"You look terrible!" He joked as I felt a shiver ripple up my spine. He quickly apologized and beckoned me over.

 

I approached him, slipping on a few puddles and tripping over the skirt of my dress. I landed on all fours but I was quick on my feet as handed over the letter to him, feeling the cool raindrops trailing down my forehead. I was considerably wet, but was thankful that I wasn't drenched to the core.

 

“Here!” I smiled. He ignored it for a moment and watched me as I recovered, wiping the rain off my face. I tried to steady my nervous breathing but I let out a laugh seeing how ridiculous I sounded. The Prince's face began contorting into a concerned expression at the state I was in. I couldn't say he was wrong to be concerned. I couldn't imagine how I really looked like and I didn't want to entertain the idea. 

 

"Are you okay?" He gently asked, dipping his head to have his eyes meet mine. I sighed out. 

 

"Will you just take the letter?" I whined, "Wasn't this the reason why you woke me up so early? Why won't you take it with the fervor that you had this morning?"

 

There was a full paused of just his long stare. I felt a wave of unsettling feelings wash over me when he took off his gloves to finally accept the letter. I took noite that his hands were clean and large. I cleared my throat as I watched him look at the front of the letter.

 

“Go on. You can read it first,” I smiled, “I don't mind.”

 

"Are you okay?" He gave me a strange look, "You're freezing aren't you?" He looked up and down at me a few times, and I let out a small nervous laugh.

 

"I'll survive. I couldn't wait for my lessons to end with the Governess and left without my umbrella." I admitted.

 

Content with my answer, the Prince finally tore his sights off me and focused his attention to the letter. He gently opened it, his eyes scanning up and down the contents, possibly searching for any mention of his name.

 

“She’s down in Busan?” He asked quietly. I shrugged but nodded to confirm. I took the liberty to take a few steps closer.

 

“I was told she went down south,” I looked over his shoulder to read a bit of it.

 

The Prince let out a long sigh, “She doesn’t mention me at all, not even a hint of me.”

 

He handed the letter back and leaned against the stall door he just came out of, mulling over the disappointment that was etched across his eyes.

 

“It’s a very formal letter, You Highness,” I reminded him, sniffling the numbness of my nose, “I don’t think you should read too much into it.”

 

“Was my impression not impactful at all?” He asked aloud, second guessing his meeting with her. His eyes glazed over with a sheen of pure confusion. "Could she have found another suitor?"

 

I scoffed, "Not at all. There's no way Effie is engaged to be married and not have anyone in this town know about it."

 

That seemed to settle the nerves of the Prince as his body slumped over his own weigh. He slid down, sitting down on a bench, propping his upper body up with his elbows on his knees. 

 

I gently smiled, “I wouldn’t worry, I could perhaps ask in my next letter.”

 

“No!” He interjected, “I don’t want her to know that you’re helping me or-”

 

“Relax, Your Highness,” I laughed, folding the letter back up, “I know the nuances of subtly. I’m sure I can crack her open.”

 

The Prince chewed on his bottom lip and dragged his eyes over to me again, “How subtle can you be when I want to know how she felt about our kiss?”

 

A horse neighed in discomfort from the loudness of the rain. My mouth parted, searching for the words when a dull feeling pressed down on my chest. A kiss? It seems like there was so much I had missed out on by leaving Hanseong early. Surely my friend wouldn't keep this a secret from me. If the Fourth Prince had fallen for her and even steal a controversial kiss from her. Wouldn't a Prince's affections be something that would be shared in excitement in a letter? I kept this thought to myself.

 

There was something in his disappointment that deeply affected me. I didn't want to add to it. I didn't wish to be honest and crumble his faith he based in this shared kiss. As controversial as a stolen kiss is to a woman of high social standing, after Prince Baekhyun's marriage to his honorable wife many dishonorable events were revealed, it seemed like society was a bit more relax with gentle affections such as a kiss. 

 

The horse whined again and I looked over to find it's head poking out of it's stall. I was about to asked the Prince if he had a carrot on him when I noticed he was watching me intently. I wasn't sure what exactly was on his mind but I never had to wait too long to know. 

 

"We went out to the rose garden alone." He recalled, "I had to steal her way to have just one more moment with her. Perhaps she didn't care or didn't feel the same but everything was dizzying. The scent of the roses, her soft lips..."

 

I could almost picture it as well. Effie's beautiful thick dark hair pinned up in her usual style. The Prince tucking a stray of hair behind her ear, cupping her small delicate face with those hands of his. I could imagine Effie backing up, using the rose wall for support as Prince Jongin leaned in, a wicked smile pulling at the corner of his lips as the union of two beautiful lips met under the blanket of a thousand stars twinkled above, just for them. 

 

I glupped. Without having to witness them together, I knew Effie and The Prince were the perfect fit for the Greek tragedies that pulled on my heart strings. I had always been torn over the fact that the leads were unable to be together. This time I wanted that end for them. 

 

What an awful thought.

 

Prince Jongin finally cracked into that trademark smile of his, “She does seem rather careful when she writes, doesn't she? She's must be restraining so many of her thoughts if she can not express it comfortably with you.”

 

I felt my hands fiddle with her letter, wondering how he assumed so much of her from her simple letter. I cocked my head at the Prince.

 

“How much do you know of Miss Effie?” I questioned.

 

“Everything,” He sighed out, “And nothing at the same time.”

 

“I haven’t the slightest of clues of what you’re on about.” I frowned.

 

“I know I want her to be my everything.” He proudly admitted and I inwardly groaned. He sounded just like all the other suitors that managed to corner me in the past in hopes to have a chance with Effie. Still, none of them were as impressive as a prince by title, nor as daring to steal her first kiss. Surely that must count for something in Effie’s eyes who was particularly picky with who she allowed to be in her company. I suppose I should allow their story to develop, uninterrupted.

 

“Well, she’s quite fond of animals... and strolls, too.” I informed, “Effie and I would love to go through the garden mazes of the homes of Saeryeo Row.”

 

I clenched my teeth, thinking of them together in the rose garden once more. The Prince cracked a soft smile, “Oh. That’s pleasant to hear. She must like nature.”

 

I shook my head to get rid of my intrusive thoughts.

 

“She’s also admires those who take to the dance floor. She talks endlessly of those with an elegant step. I suppose it makes her feel like eyes would be on her if her partner was particularly good with his moves.” I fiddled with my hands, "Quite silly to think when she can simply do nothing and eyes are still on her.”

 

The Prince took a moment to lean back against the stall, looking lost in the new details. I had no clue what I was doing helping him. I looked toward the large stable doors to the outside where a curtain of rain blurred much of the outside for us. He cocked his head with a smile on his face, “Would you do me the biggest favor and ask her about her other suitors in your next letter? Surely she would speak of someone must have made an impression.”

 

His request hadn’t fully registered when he was on with his next idea.

 

“I feel the need to know where she stands, truthfully,” He glanced back at me, a cool breeze gently ruffling his chocolate brown hair. I couldn’t form a proper thought for a second until a question that had been finally formed came out.

 

“Your Highness,” I began, “When did you meet Miss Effie?”

 

It seemed like as long as we were on the topic of his affections, the Prince didn’t care what questions I had for him. Still it was strange to hear that they met and Effie hadn't bother to tell me about this interaction.

 

“I believe the beginning of this year’s socials.” He gently smiled, “I was in attendance at the Choi’s Charity Ball.”

 

“I recall,” I nodded remembering the chatter surrounding his appearance, “But I was by Effie’s side all night-”

 

“That’s when I first saw her,” He corrected, “It took me the entire summer to gather enough courage to speak to her whenever my mother allowed me to attend a ball with the promise that I would entertain the women she had handpicked for me.”

 

This last summer, I did recall the few times the Prince was in attendance. It wasn’t exactly unusual to have royalty grace our high society parties, but I suppose the spike of his attendance from one (if we were lucky) to four events in a year did prove to be curious indeed.

 

“Five,” He corrected. I felt like my mouth betrayed me for speaking my thoughts out loud. I pressed them together in hopes that I could keep my thoughts private.

 

“Five?” I repeated, “Are you sure? It was the Choi’s Charity Ball.”

 

I began to count with my fingers.

 

Two.

 

“You were at the horse races, too,” I chewed on my lip, “Was it the Min’s Midsummer Fete that you attended or the Jamboree?”

 

The Prince raised one brow and his tongue stuck out to the corner of his mouth as he watched me trying to recounted his presence.

 

“Both.” He smirked, “Seems like you kept a close eye on me, Miss Rue. Doesn’t really surprise me considering-”

 

I let out a huff, “Don’t flatter yourself, I only remembered because most of the gentlemen complained that your attendance left little women for their picking.”

 

The Prince let out a long winded laugh, “Oh that’s amusing when they had you to ask for a dance.”

 

Another cool breeze of the rainy air swept by and I felt a shutter as my face twisted in disapproval.

 

“Your Highness,” I began, “I’d really appreciate it if you stop with your mockery.”

 

The Prince flashed his dazzling smile at me, “Whatever do you mean?”

 

I felt my disposition, the one my Governess had worked very hard on, void of any pleasantries.

 

“No one ever asked me to dance,” I shook my head causing the Prince to pull his charming smile away and observe me closely.

 

“What do you mean?” He questioned, “Why not?”

 

Why not? I clicked my tongue as if it was not obvious. I motioned to myself and waited for him realized that he was speaking to a wallflower… or a wall leaf to put it more directly. At least a flower would garner some attention, real or painted on a wall. A leaf was much more of my description. How could he not put the pieces together?


Still the way he looked at me was unnerving and I had to blurt out the most obvious and painful answer.

 

“There is nothing special about me, Your Highness,” I snapped, “I’m quite invisible when I stand next to Miss Effie. It doesn’t surprise me that you hardly recall anything but her but I was always at her side.”

 

He remained silent as I wrestled with my exploding thoughts.

 

“I don’t blame you for not noticing but you can’t really blame the gentlemen of society when, at your call, all they are left with is the likes of me.” I threw my hands up, giving up. The Prince was still. I was partly ashamed to look straight in his eyes so I settled on the curve of his smooth cheeks that still held on to a bit of youth.

 

“The Princess of Hanseong, my sister-in-law,” He quietly said, “Threw the last Ball of the season. Summer's Close. Everyone was invited. I don’t recall seeing you there.”

 

I scoffed, “I was already gone, Your Highness. I left a week before the last ball. I had all but one suitor call upon me this year and as disappointing as the number is, it was only because his interest were in my father's great reputation.”

 

“That is when I had a moment with Miss Effie,” He finally answered, "Our kiss." I locked eyes with him when the realization hit me. I suppose he was right. Five events… and the last I was not in attendance to fend of any unwanted attention from Effie.

 

The Prince sighed, “You should have seen her waltzing around the dance floor. Sparkling for every eye to witness. Every man had one song with her. But, I, two songs. I don't even remember what we spoke of other than I felt like I was off in the clouds and those two songs felt like mere seconds with her.”

 

“And then?” I asked, feeling my frown deepen. I fiddled with my wet sleeve.

 

“I was pulled away by my mother to introduce me to yet another prospect and I couldn’t. I couldn’t imagine pretending anymore when I knew my heart was taken. How could I even feign interest in some lady when Miss Effie was a mere arm’s length away from my reach?" He paused, "So I waited until she went outside for some fresh air and... I stole more time from her.”

 

“I’ve heard the Queen is quite the observant woman. Surely she must have noticed...” I quietly said more to myself than to him. The Prince confirmed my thoughts with a single nod.

 

“It also didn’t help that I have four other nosy brothers as spies.” He scoffed, “I suppose my mother wasn’t pleased of my liking to Miss Effie considering her low class.”

 

I rubbed my hands together nervously and nodded, “Yes, well, her father is a Admiral Jeong. Must must not be aware of how he fell in love with one of his maids who gave birth to Effie and then left the Jeong Family for a better life in China.”

 

The Prince moved so suddenly, standing up and grabbing my hands once more, about to pled with me. He stopped for a moment and chuckled.

 

“Are your hands always this cold?” He asked. I felt the sudden rush of red pool at my cheeks.

 

“Your Highness,” I hissed, pulling my hands away from him, "Your manners."

 

“Please,” He pouted slightly, “These are the details that I would love to know about her. Please, Rue. I promise you the world if you tell me all about her.”

 

 

“Miss Rue!” The Governess shouted in delight her voice echoing down the hall later on in the night. I threw my letter into my desk in a hurry, startled with the idea of being caught by the Governess inquiring my friend about the Prince's affections towards her. I sat up straighter in my arm chair as I heard her hurried footsteps approach my room, flinging the door wide open to find her slightly out of breath but still as cheerful as ever, “Miss Rue! I have good news!”

 

I set my needlework down and placed my hands on my lap. “Yes Rose?”

 

“You'll have a visitor!” She smiled, “As I was exiting the kitchen to check on dinner, I heard your father speaking to the Prince about a man in particular in his study when I walked by. We will be expecting a man with the purpose of an introduction! Oh, what a delight!”

 

The Governess clapped her hands and suddenly went into her reeling mind.

 

“Oh my,” She sighed out seriously, “That means we might have to rush some lessons to get you fully prepared! I need to find a dance instructor! We must visit the town’s seamstress tomorrow and hope she has something ready for your to wear... We have so many things to prepare! We must get an early start tomorrow morning! Off! Off to bed!”

 

I blinked rapidly, “But I haven’t had dinner yet!”

 

The Governess waved me off, “How could you eat when the excitement should be eating away your hunger! We have quite the schedule tomorrow! Brush your hair and off to bed!”

 

As Rose skipped away, I sat in disappointment that I was being ordered to bed without a warm meal in my stomach. Still I followed her instructions and once I was brushed and tucked into bed,  I stared out the window watching the moon of a very early night.

 

It wasn’t too long once the Manor was still enough to signal that most had retired to their bed chambers. I took the opportunity to jump out of bed. I shouldered on my nightrobe and tiptoed out my room. I took the liberty of knowing my home too well to dodge all obstacles, human and not, without much fuss. I made it all the way to the kitchen and a sense of accomplishment washed over me seeing how much food was left over so I could at least have a proper amount of nourishment.

 

I picked at the roasted carrots and lamb, in delight at what my stomach had been waiting for all evening. I wasn't four bites in when I heard the door close behind me. I felt the dred leak in me before I was ready to defend my intrusion to Byeol, our cook. As I tried to gather enough courage to turn around and face Byeol, the Prince’s voice rung out in a chuckle. My heart began to pound.

 

“Never a dull moment with you, Miss Rue,” The Prince smirked and I could still see his face as clear as day in the darkness of the kitchen, “I must admit you keep me on my toes.”

Yet another run-in and a bit more insight to the Prince and Effie.