three

Diaphanous

three

 

There was a terrible shriek coming from the second floor of the manor. The staff rushed up to find the source of such stress only to find I, Lady Rue, and the Prince Jongin in a heated row.

 

I could feel my face was dotted red and pieces of hair fall out from its combed place as the Prince pointed an accusatory finger at me.

 

“She’s a ert!” He shouted once the staff rushed in to find the Prince’s lower body wrapped in a towel. “I won’t allow this kind of intrusion be taken so lightly! I won't let her get away with staring at my bits!”

 

“I am no such thing and I did not stare!” I defended back. Moments before his blow up, I staggered back from the sight of the Prince in the bathroom covering my eyes, dropping the towels from my hand. It was then when I was the one who was followed out and berated for the past few moments. If someone was truly ashamed of being , it wasn’t the Prince as he took no qualm baring his skin in the smallest bit of clothing as he paraded around. I could see the goosebumps rippling o we his tanned skin as he paced around in rage.

 

“Then whatever was your intentions walking in during my bath!” Prince Jongin began, “If it was not to peek at my most intimate-”

 

“I didn’t see much!” I shouted back causing the staff to hold back a bit of laughter, amused of the ongoing argument. A few smiles cracked on their faces caused the Prince to take it as the ultimate insult. He no longer wished to participate in such public display of indecency. He marched back into the bathroom and locked it for good measure.

 

Although entertaining, the staff had no clue that the following days would be such a burden. Neither did I.

 

“You will not speak to the Prince or interact with him in anyway Rue,” My father raised his voice, from behind his desk in his office as he paced around angrily. Surely he must have heard the version of the story that only served to put me in a bad light.

 

“But father-”

 

“Rue, not a word!” He raised his voice at me, “Another word from the staff or the Prince of your short comings and I’ll make sure that you’ll be sent away. We are only so lucky that the Prince hasn’t sent in a formal complaint. Rest assure that if the Queen herself hears of your indecencies towards the Prince she will retract her promise to help me find a suitable match for you!”

 

I sat in father’s office, in the middle of an early night, after a very uncomfortable dinner with the Prince where he proclaimed he wasn't comfortable eating and excused himself early on. Father called me in to speak of the matter and the more he spoke the more I felt like it was unfair.

 

“You will no longer eat with us.” He gulped, taking the time to stop his pacing to emphasize his law, “I’ll have staff bring you your meals in your room. I’ll also coordinate a schedule to ensure you won’t cross paths with the Prince. I’ll also send a governess-”

 

“But I have already completed finishing school!” I protested.

 

“And what have you shown that you’ve accomplished being a lady in your twenty five years of life?” My father huffed. His words stung as he continued, “I knew your courting in the past was not the best, perhaps not even up to standard now that I’m aware, and I take full responsibility for not observing your education more closely.”

 

I felt a knot in my throat seeing how his disappointment caused a seer of pain stab through my chest.

 

“Your mother would be very much displeased with me,” He turned away, “For lacking as a father…”

 

That was enough to have me weeping for days after. I was distraught from my father’s extreme disappointment, being confined to my room for most of the day, and the new governess who gave me such a pitying look any time she realized how poor of my education had been to be considered a true lady.

 

Governess Rose, whipped a gentle slap on my shoulder as I dipped my head closer to my paper as I wrote.

 

“Posture, Miss Rue,” She hissed, “Elegant lines attract, hunched shoulders distract.”

 

I inhaled as I wrote down a few more lines to my letter for Effie. I tried to keep my writing tone bright and happy since my first drafts were trashed by Governess Rose. I suppose I was getting better at my deception except for the few smears of ink where a drop of a tear ruined my writing.

 

“After you’re finished writing your letter, you’ll have the pleasure of eating dinner with me,” She announced. I almost jumped out of my chair. I was looking forward to a hot meal. Perhaps my celebration was not taken so welcomely as the Governess sent me a sharp look when she saw my mood change noticeably.

 

“And then of course, straight to bed,” She ordered, “A lady must keep a regular sleeping schedule for her beauty as well as to not disturb the task men do at night. Tomorrow, I’ll teach you proper washing techniques for a better complexion. As I always say, a clear complexion is the best foundation for a pleasing disposition.”

 

I nodded, pressing my lips into a thin line.

 

“Speak,” She sighed, “For goodness sake Miss Rue, I’m not here to steal your voice. I am simply here to make sure you are as refined as any distinguished Song can be. After hearing about your intentions in learning cheese making, you can understand my utter horror when I realized you might as well been raised by the cows. We need the quickest way to get you ready for next year’s social season and that is to whip you into shape.”

 

I felt it.

 

That little glimmer of sadness that I wouldn’t ever be good enough. It was almost the feeling I had when I stood next to Effie in a room and all eyes were on her. The reason was quite obvious, but it didn’t mean it hurt any less, despite the love I have for my friend.

 

“I understand,” I nodded, “I would very well like to finish my letter tomorrow. I haven’t received Effie’s response to my first letter. I suppose it would be better to wait.”

 

Governess Rose smiled, genuinely.

 

“Good,” She said standing up from the vanity where she watched me intently from, “Here I thought that teaching a lady six years into her debut would be most difficult, but I think I’m finding it more pleasant from the children in my past years.”

 

I scowled and she gave me a sharp look. I immediately fixed my disposition and inhaled slowly.

 

“I’m not sure how to take the compliment, if it is one at all,” I admitted causing Governess Rose to let out a laugh. She simply announced she would fetch our meals and left me to my room. I placed my ink and paper away at my desk. I took a moment to pull my hair back and find an apron to cover my fine silk frock.

 

Governess Rose came by with my meal and watched me eat, pointing out all the ways I ate incorrectly. It was yet another lesson where I had to change my techniques before I was allowed to retire to bed. I was dressed in my night gown and instructed to sleep.

 

It was when my room was plunged into the fifth night of this new schedule, did I managed to escape. It took the smallest of naps to convey that I indeed had fallen asleep. However, my ambitions were far too big to be forced to sleep at seven in the evening. When I woke, I wasn’t quite sure what time it was but that didn’t matter.

 

I jumped out of bed and grabbed a thick skirt lining and some boots with wooly socks. Once I threw on my coat, I was ready to escape. It would be foolish of me to even consider walking right out the front door, so I did the next best thing. I climbed out of my window, to crawl down the walls of the manor using the vines structure to ease my way to the chilly ground.

 

Once I felt my freedom steady under my feet. I allowed the moonlight led me to my favorite place in the entire world.

 

Diom Falls.

 

It was one of the most wonderful waterfalls in the whole of the kingdom, I believe. Surely there was not another like it. It was heated with thermal springs from a thin pocket of earth close to its warm core.

 

In the colder months, it was a relaxing place to bath especially surrounded by the beauty of nature. And it provided exactly what I needed at the moment, an escape.

 

I went down the trail to the ocean shore a scenic path towards the Falls lit by the wonderful full moon. It was only a twenty minute walk from here, surely I wouldn’t be missed for an hour or two and a hot spring bath sounded most needed at the moment.

 

I had managed down the stone steps to the difficult pace of walking in sand when I was noticed.

 

“Miss Rue?”

 

I froze in fear for a moment before I twisted around to find a darkened figure trudging up the sand in the opposite direction I was heading towards. I suppose they were intending to scale up the stone steps I just descended from. Once the details of their face became clearer, I felt even more doomed.

 

“Your Highness?” I cocked my head, squinting at the Prince to adjusting the lack of light on his features. When he was close enough, I was able to take his stunning features fully on his smirking face. Confused with his pleasing disposition, I took a step back, wary of his intentions. I hadn’t seen him so relaxed since he arrived, three weeks ago.

 

“Why am I not surprised to find you out here,” He let out a long but painful chuckle.

 

I glared at him, “Don’t mock me. What are you doing out here at this hour? Surely staff haven't the slightest clue you snuck out.”

 


"Do they know of your nightly excursion?" He cheekily asked. I felt my jaw firm up from a lack of response.

 

He sighed, “I apologize if it sounds like I am mocking but I must admit it pleases me to see I’m not the only one who is suffering as well. A nice brisk walk away from your lovely staff and father is just what I need.”

 

“Are you meaning to say that you believe our manor to be confining?” I frowned.

 

The Prince let out a long sigh, pocketing his hands into his trousers. The puff of vapor escaped his lips in the chilly night. The reflection of the glittering ocean reflecting the fractions of the moon light and it danced around in the waves behind him. He took rest on the stone steps sitting down as he gaze back on the sight of the low hanging full moon.

 

“No not confining,” He let out a small groan as he placed his full weight down, “I meant suffocating. It's is not to say that I don't appreciate the warm welcome of your staff... even if you lack the awareness of privacy, I'd say it was the only half entertaining thing that has happened to be in the past week.”

 

I scowled at his honesty and he let out a laugh, “Did you think I would polite?”

 

I looked over my shoulder to the far-off destination, my heart sinking at the fact that I was wasting time here with the Prince. I could excuse myself but I was afraid he would inquire my whereabouts and Diom Falls was a place that I wanted to keep secret.

 

“I thought you would chose to avoid me seeing how displeased you were with our last interaction, so yes, perhaps I thought of you as polite considering this conversation of formality. I don’t wish to entertain you much longer” I gave him a stern look, “Now if you would excuse me-”

 

“Yes,” He let out a laugh, “One could say that most people wouldn’t welcome such intrusion but let me stress that I am only polite when I mean to be.”

 

“Then I apologize for not apologizing sooner,” I gulped feeling the slight nip of the cool air pinch at my cheeks.

 

The Prince casually leaned back on his elbows, allowing the ocean breeze ruffle through his hair. I felt my face warm up suddenly.

 

“Are you only apologizing for not apologizing?” He smiled widely, “Because that sounds like a roundabout way to not apologize directly for the invasion of privacy.”

 

His head lazily cocked to the side as he gave me a subtle smirk. I was stunned at the duality of the Prince, first he seemed to hate running into me and now it was like he was enjoying the displeasure it caused me to be so confused with him.

 

“I’m sorry,” I simply said, “And I’m sorry for all the other unfortunate run ins… as well as this one.”

 

His smile faltered.

 

“Please be sure that this encounter has everything to do with me wanting to get a bit of fresh air.” I admitted, “If the thought of me following you crossed your mind-”

 

“It didn’t.” The Prince sat up.

 

“Oh, good,” I nodded, “Then I shall continue on. I rather make the most of my freedom before I have to go back before anyone notices.”

 

I bowed and just when I was about to pivot.

 

“Miss Rue.” The Prince called out, rising back to his feet, “Where are you going?”

 

Ah. The dreaded question. Any plans of Diom Falls was not fated for tonight. I sighed, letting go of the idea of a nice hot dip before I looked back at the Prince.

 

“For a walk.” I decided, “To the gazebo, the one right over there.”

 

“Alone?” He raised his brows.

 

“I don’t see why you would concern yourself with my safety,” I waved him off, “Rest assure that I’ve traveled down the ocean path many times before. There is nothing you should worry yourself. As you can see it’s not that far off.”

 

The Prince closed his eyes, “But a man with my honor would never allow a lady like yourself to stroll this late at night unattended.”

 

It was my turn to raise my brows, “Ah, so now you have honor... and recognize me as a lady?”

 

The Prince smirked as if he was also recalling the amount of insults that he hurled at me that fateful day. Of course, I wasn’t quite the person to allow such berating, so The Prince also was a recipient of my own well-crafted insults.

 

He let out a dry chuckle, “I heard you were under the watchful eye of Governess Rose. The best in our kingdom, I hear.”

 

I scowled, “All thanks to you.”

 

“Well I still stand firm on the belief that you would not take so kindly to me walking in on you if the roles were reversed-”

 

“Yes well, you weren't the most pleasing to be introduced to,” I interrupted, “If you must know, my lessons are going well. I hope that your lessons are also to your liking. I heard that the stables haven’t been the easiest for you…”

 

He the bottom the corner of his lip and I trailed off as if my mind forgot about words. Prince Jongin looked amused that I have taken in the talk surrounding his difficulties as if I cared for his time at the manor. I cleared my throat. The last thing I wanted him to think is that I cared about his stay.

 

“AHEM. That said, Your Highness, allow me continue my stroll so that you can get back to the manor without anymore… intrusions from me. Good night.” I bowed.

 

The Prince did that thing of tilting his head to the side when he found something amusing and it was quite infuriating. I could feel my face mold itself into a frown every time he did that. Something Governess Rose wouldn’t hesitate to lightly smack me for.

 

I waited for him to say something while he continued to stare, and I huffed at how utterly confusing it was to have him look and say nothing.

 

 “Is there something you’d like to say?” I huffed.

 

The Prince gave a toothy grin, “I thought you were on your way, you said good night?”

 

I pressed my lips together and whipped back around, changing my course back towards the gazebo that I frequented to meditate and read books with Effie whenever she came down for a visit.

 

I trudged a few steps through the thick sand when I felt flecks of sand that pelted the back of my skirt that were not from my own doing.

 

Prince Jongin had caught up to me and let out a small laugh.

 

“I was serious when I said that I don’t intend for you to walk alone,” He smiled, “My mother would have my head on a chopping block if she ever found out that I was not at all a gentleman of the most refined lineage.”

 

I rolled my eyes at him, “Oh Your Highness, your reputation begs to differ. It’s not at all a secret that you and your brother Prince Sehun are quite the scandal in the royal family when it comes to women. I don’t expect gentlemanly treatment.”

 

Jongin snorted, “You wouldn’t know what that entails when I’m on my worst behavior.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Prince Jongin, having a bit of an easier time walking, waved off the last statement, “So you’ve heard of my situation?”

 

“Who hasn’t?”
 

Prince Jongin shrugged, “I think you know of the rumors but nothing of the truth. I’m sure the staff has had a fun time chatting about my punishment here.”

 

“Well you aren’t the most discreet guest. Besides your reputation proceeding you, you certainly make your displeasures known.” I sighed, looking up at the clear night sky, all the stars hanging above us. I felt a smile grow on my face for a moment.

 

“I don’t know how else to complain. Shall I greet you with a smile next time you decide to come around during bath time?” He chuckled, his eyes crinkling at the corners when he saw me sputter in embarrassment.It was almost shocking to see how different and light hearted he was from the first encounter, “You must know of my mothers attempt of matching me up for a marriage.”

 

I nodded, “I can’t imagine a prince known for their devilish ways would been keen on settling.”

 

“My ways don’t overshadow my intentions in a marriage.” He kindly corrected, "I would love to marry, if it's right."

 

 “Well, consider me surprised. I wouldn’t peg you as the marrying type. Not with all the refusals you’ve had,” I crossed my arms to help me warm up. It was a particularly chilly night.

 

We took a few more difficult steps before we reached the wooden path up to the gazebo. My legs greatly appreciated the stability of the wooden planks as we slowly paced up to our destination.

 

“Well, you see Miss Rue,” Prince Jongin started, “The reason for my stubborn refusals was because I came across the most stunning young lady that stole my heart and I can’t seem to get her off my mind. With every match my mother makes, I deeply hope that it’s her just for an opportunity to see her.”

 

I smiled to myself. Ah, the tragic tale of a man pining for a woman who can’t get the proper introduction. For a slight flash of imagery, I could see myself in the arms of the Prince dipped into a kiss- 

 

I inhaled sharply at my disturbed mind. What was wrong with me?

 

“If I could only have the chance to speak to her once again.” He sighed.

 

“Once again?” I grumbled, “You’ve spoken to her?”

 

The Prince rolled his eyes, “Of course I have, I am a man of honor and intention. If I see something I like, I go after it.”

 

I leaned against a pillar of the gazebo and listen intently to the Prince as well as the gentle crashing of the ocean waves. The way the light was hitting the Prince now, made me take a step back and see him in a different perspective. I certainly didn't want to but yet here I was. So much for his complaint of intrusion, I felt like he was violating my thoughts with uncomfortable fantasies. Still...

 

 

I suppose watching him pace around much like my father does, I could assume that he didn’t have a single soul in the manor to be friendly with. He was away from all his brothers and all he’s known. I could imagine the stark contrast of the lavish lifestyle to our humble manor was quite the shock.

 

I suddenly felt the empathy pour in me as I began to understand why he was possibly so irritable when he first arrived.

 

I gritted my teeth, I didn’t want to be so forgiving of his actions towards me. I didn’t want to take too kindly to the Prince. In fact, I shouldn’t.

 

I wasn’t even allowed to be in the same place as him based on my father’s orders as of late. It would probably disturb all the teachings father was working so hard on with him…

 

“Your father is a really patient man,” The Prince said and it caught my wandering attention, “He firmly agrees with my mother, in that I need reform. I promise you, it is not that at all. I was purposefully uncouth towards the matches my mother conjured, but it was only because I wished to be with her.”

 

I snorted, “Yes. I understand. However, I think it would do you good to learn a thing or two from my father. He is, after all, a gifted poet and scholar. It couldn’t bring harm if you were, I don’t know, sweeter with your words.”

 

Prince Jongin rolled his eyes, “I promise, I can charm a snake if I so desire. I’m not some feral man that needs training. After my mother found out about Effie she threw a fit and she hoped that-”

 

My eyes nearly bulged out.

 

“W-who?” I breathed out.

 

The Prince paused to look at me as my heart sunk for an unknown reason. There was only one Effie that society knew of, and I wished with all my being that he wasn’t talking about her.

 

There was a smile that pulled on the corner of Jongin’s lips. I took a moment to look at his lips as he began to vocalize the one name that I never expected him to say.

 

“Effie Jeong?” He watched me carefully, “Now that I think about it, you must know her. You both are out in society this past summer, were you not?”

 

A slight sting if he’s never truly seen me at the side of Effie Jeong. We were almost inseparable but, then again, Effie’s beauty was blinding how could I be so offended when I knew that one fact to be true.

 

I gulped, “Yes, I do know her.”

 

The Prince suddenly lightened up. His face was kinder and as he approached me, I held on to the pillar a bit tighter as if it was the only thing holding me up.

 

“Really? Can you tell me more about her?” He begged. He suddenly took hold of my hand, and clasped it gently in his own. My mouth parted as his face twisted in surprised.

 

“You’re cold.” He pointed out, a small laugh escaped his lips. I was about to explain that my hands were always dreadfully cold without gloves when he brought my hand up to his mouth and allowed his hot breath run over my skin. I held in a shiver as he did it a few more times, warming up my hand for me.

 

His face was now placid and utterly full of love. Another side of the Prince I was shocked to see.

 

“Please Miss Rue,” He bowed his head, “I’ll do anything to know more about Miss Effie.”

 

My mouth parted. I could refuse and correct his assumption. I didn’t know her. There was no way I could help him out. A love match wasn’t simply just knowing facts about a person, it was an all-encompassing passionate feeling that simply wasn’t won over just by asking a close friend.

 

But the way the Prince’s earnest eyes set straight into mine caused me to crumble.

 

“Okay.”

 

I had hoped that was enough for him to let me go so I could settle my racing heart. Just as I was allowed to breathe, I was enveloped in an embrace, and my heart stopped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And that's that. I wanted to draw out their clashing relationship but, I truly think I will have more fun writing them as secret friends. Anyways please let me know what you think!