one

Diaphanous

one

 

There was a late night ruckus in our sea side manor, it woke the chickens and stirred the horses in our stables from the gentle shouts coming from the courtyard. I shot up from my bed, groggy and still tired from my travels.

 

The social season had ended a few weeks ago in Hanseong and I came back home empty handed, as I had expected. My father had hopes that by doubling my dowry, it would have helped my prospects but it was never the fact that my dowry was the problem. It was me. I was as plain as grass and was often over looked by more beautiful and charming girls.

 

It didn’t bother me as much as others would think, that was until that ruckus tumbled into my life at the start of the crisp nights of fall.

 

I had peeked out of my window to find a grand carriage in our receiving courtyard, heavily decorated with beautiful large wheels and handsome horses being fed by a few of our servants. My father stepped out to welcome the a single figure standing in our courtyard. He bowed and clasped his hands together.

 

The trademark twinkle in his eye glistened even in the dark as he greeted the unexpected guest.

 

“Your Majesty,” My father smiled, despite his obvious confusion, “It is an honor.”

 

The sleep had all but vanished as I clung on to my window, ducking low from view. 

 

“The Queen?” I whispered to myself, taking notice of her grand traveling dress and the elaborate designs of her overcoat. It was a curious that the Queen of Hanseong had traveled so far unannounced, however, it would have been rude to question her unexpected presence. Even father struggled trying to come up with the next words to say.

 

“I'm sure you have many questions over the surprising visit. I won’t stay for long,” She proclaimed, “I hope it’s not too much trouble for a single night.”
 

“Not at all,” Father shook his head, “Please enter, I’ll get tea ready while we prepare a room for you.”

 

“Two rooms,” She informed, “I’m sorry to be a trouble but I have a great favor to ask of you.”

 

At this point, my father had outstretched his elbow for the Queen to accept as she approached him. They exchanged a few quiet words but the moment they reached our door, she stopped and turned back to the carriage.

 

“Come now,” She ordered, “Or forever regret the day you decided to embarrass me.”

 

There was a pause. I hung on to the window still, watching in fascination when a foot, followed by another, stepped down from the carriage. A hunched body stood examining the area and I caught a glimpse of a pair of sharp regal eyes set on such dark features.

I chewed on my bottom lip as the body sauntered gracefully over to his mother before entering the manor. I couldn’t help myself as I crept out of my room, shouldering a robe over my nightgown. I slowly made my way around the familiarity of my home without a candle lighting my way. There was only one room in use at this late hour and when I approached our drawing room, I saw the regal presence of the Queen herself sitting next to my father looking tenderly at him like an old friend. Their voices were low and undistinguishable.

 

I felt my blood course through my veins, hot in anticipation as I looked around to find a closer spot to remained undetected. Shielded by the darkness of the night, I took cover by crawling down under a table by the drawing room, allowing me a perfect view of our guest as I peeked around the corner.

 

“…First, Prince Jongin must wake up at reasonable hours every day and join for breakfast. After, he is expected to do manual labor or study with you Lord Song. I believe your inscriptions of philosophy could be a great help for his empty head. Some end-of-day meditation would do him some good too.”

 

“Labor?” Prince Jongin seethed in rage, “Work of the servants?”

 

I blinked back at the stunning looks of the Prince. He was quite handsome despite the unfavorable look on his face. During the conversation he'd glance around the drawing room, skeptically looking at the worth of our belongings before pouting and scowling in reaction to his mother's orders.

 

“Labor would do you some good,” The Queen cleared before sipping on her cup, “After the undignified way you carried yourself in front of your last prospect, that I so meticulously picked for you… you’d be surprised that I didn’t sentence you to death my son.”

 

“I would have rather that than this farm.” He crinkled his nose in distaste.

 

“Watch your tongue,” The Queen raised her finger, “That is no way to speak in front of the ones that are welcoming us. I’ll have you know that this manor is owned by scholar Lord Song, one of the most brilliant minds during my schooling, he has no time for any of your disrespects.”

 

“I’ve already completed school long ago,” Prince Jongin whined, “What use is this?”

 

“Perhaps you needed more time with your head in lessons to become a fully realized Prince of Hanseong.” The Queen huffed, “Lord Song, I hope you understand my requests. Do not be lenient on him. He will work through the long winter with you before I recognize his efforts.”

 

“Understood, Your Majesty,” My Father ducked his head.

 

“Jongin?” The Queen snapped to which the Prince responded with a heavy eyeroll.

 

“I’d like to rest now,” He announced rising to his feet to excuse himself. I ducked further into the shadows of the corridors as he walked past me grumbling to himself. “And hope that death takes me in my sleep.”

 

I suppressed a smile as I saw the Fourth Prince’s miserable form being led to his sleeping quarters.

 

“I mean it Lord Joongki.” The Queen sighed, “Please treat him like you would a son. I know that my dear friend was unable to give you a son before she passed but I know you are a man of good teachings. He could learn so much from you. I will be sure you will be rewarded not just accordingly but handsomely.”

 

My father pressed his lips together and nodded, “I will try my best for you, Your Majesty, if you can promise me but one thing.”

 

“Whatever you ask in return for caring for my son,” The Queen nodded.

 

“Please help me find a suitable prospect for my daughter,” He sighed out, “She is nearing a spinster age and I worry myself hoping for grandchildren much like yourself.”

 

I felt that wave of shame trouble the pit of my stomach for failing to give my father the one thing he hoped for after my mother had passed away. My parents wanted a son more than anything in the world however, as tradegy had it, that wish was unfulfilled. In my hands, I had one duty to make my father’s wishes come true: bare a grandson.

 

I felt the inadequacies linger with my failed season. Perhaps I should try harder next year.

 

Were my short comings so obvious that even my father thought it best to need the highest help of the Queen to complete his life wishes?

 

The Queen sighed but smiled warmly at my father, “You’d be tickled to know that after two granddaughters, I began to realize how much easier my life would have been if I birthed five princesses.”

 

They shared a laugh.

 

“Your daughter?” She asked, “How is the little Lady?”

 

“Hasn’t changed from the descriptions that I’m sure my late wife has written about.” My father kneaded his hands together, “Charmingly stubborn with her head in the clouds.”

 

“I’m sure she has her mother’s beauty,” The Queen assured.

 

“I’m afraid not,” He softly said, “She takes after me, spends all her time outside, rough hands and not a delicate bone in her body.”

 

I frowned and looked at my hands. Was that the reason no one cared to take me out for a dance? I rubbed my palms on my night gown hoping it would fix the undesirability of me but I knew that was not my problem.

 

It was the same very season, I was glued to my best friend’s side. The beautiful and unattainable Miss Jaena of the Choi Family. They had raised her well to be one of the most stunning beauties of the whole kingdom. If that wasn’t enough, Miss Jaena was also devastatingly charming and witty. It was hard to hate her. At least for me it was. I often admired her and enjoyed her company.

 

Our first season six years ago, we became fast friends. I helped her out in scoping her prospects only to gossip and laugh about them later. Even years later, we were both still willfully unwedded except, the expectation of Jaena was that she was destined for a specular match while I was left untouched and overlooked. When you have a friend like Miss Jaena, everyone else pales in comparison.

 

Even her best companion, me, Miss Rue from the Song Family with a strong family line couldn't compete with her. I was handed the fame of the philosophical writings of my father and the most enchanting love matches of their time, yet I had grown to be a devasting disappointment for those eager to know my fate. 
 

Still, despite my disappointing disposition I swore to myself in that moment I would try my best to stop father's worry. Fulfilled with the night's events I began to crawl out from underneath the table that had obscured me. I crawl away on hands and knees until the sight of two feet came across my vision and I froze. 
 

Slowly, my sights panned up to find the Fourth Prince's disapproving scowl. Just my luck. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, I have decided to start this next story while I'm slowly wrapping up Reverie! Hopefully this won't be as convoluted and confusing but it will reference bits of Baekhyun story... so read both if you'd like! 
 

Let me know your thoughts!