Chapter 3

Dumb Dumb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One chilly winter evening in Seoul.

 

In a particular fashion shop inside a shopping mall, Kim Taeyeon could be seen browsing through winter exclusive coats line, her fingers tapping her chin as she thought which one of those she should try on. This year's winter was more freezing than ever before, she thought. She couldn't tell whether it really was the weather or her immune system declining as she was nearing 30. She grinned alone at her own thought.

 

As she walked through the line with her hands stuck in the pockets of her long coat, her tracks stopped when her eyes spotted a female baby, probably around two or three years old, touching and feeling soft fur on a certain coat and giggling to herself. Taeyeon looked around in hopes to find any guardian of the child but there apparently wasn't as no one paid attention to the little figure in a white bunny outfit.

Amidst confusion and hesitation, she walked towards the little girl, knelt down beside her and tapped her chubby arm, "Hey there, kid." The child stopped touching the cloth and turned to look at her with rounded eyes.

"Are you alone? Whom did you come here with? Where are your parents?" she asked in worry. The kid must have lost her parents or guardians, she thought.

Hiccup.

Came from the little girl as her face expression changed from shock to sadness in mere seconds, her small plump lips forming a pout and then started crying loudly.

"W-wait, what," the woman who was trying to help the baby was stunned and also embarrassed beyond words as she noticed some passerbys were taking glances at them.

"Yah, why are you crying? Don't cry!" She said but the cries only got louder. Taeyeon cursed inwardly, not knowing what to do.

 

"Winter!"

Along with a restless voice, the baby beside her was hurriedly picked up by a woman who came running to the baby, "Mommy told you countless times not to run off on your own! Do you know how worried I was when you suddenly disappeared?!"

Taeyeon stood up from kneeling position and eyed the kid and the mother. But then, the world around her seemed to have stopped when she saw the face of the mother.

 

"T-Tiffany?"

Hearing the name, the mother looked at her and her face reflected the same shock as the other woman. "Taeyeon....?"

Taeyeon felt her chest was about to burst with so much emotion seeing Tiffany again after 5 years, and on top of that, so out of the blue.

However, her emotional moment didn't last when she noticed the woman with black wavy hair was struggling with the baby in her arms who was bawling her lungs out, her little porcelain face gotten deep red.

"Taeyeon-ah, I'm sorry to ask your help at the first moment we meet but would you mind doing us a favor by getting this and paying at the cashier? Winter is getting out of hand, you see," Tiffany said, pointing at a shopping basket full of baby dresses and sweaters on the floor beside them.

"Oh, ah, sure. Of course," Taeyeon awkwardly replied and picked up the basket, putting all emotions aside and doing as told. Tiffany followed closely behind her while trying to coo the baby.

---------------------------

 

Two women wordlessly sat side by side, both lost in their own thoughts and their eyes set on the little girl who had now calmed down and was having fun in the babies' playground at a corner of the mall.

"So," Taeyeon broke the silence, keeping her eyes on the baby with a smile, "her name is Winter? How old is she?"

"Yeah, her name is Winter because she was born in winter, obviously. She has a Korean name too, Minjeong. She just turned two last month." Tiffany sof

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter