Chapter 1

Dumb Dumb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One fine Sunday afternoon.

 

6-years-old Kim Taeyeon was drawing in her sketchbook as she sat down on the grass of the front yard of her home in Jeonju, illustrating the blue sky, the scenery and her puppy Ginger that was running around happily.

However, her peaceful moment was interrupted by the holler of a small yet high-pitched voice.

 

"Hello! Anyone there?"

Little Taeyeon looked up from the sketchbook towards the fence where the voice came from, and saw a girl similar to her size through the tiles of the wooden fence.

She immediately noticed who the little girl in baby pink dress was. Her family just moved to the house left to Taeyeon's a few days ago. Taeyeon remembered her father said they moved from the US. And being around her age, she also had her attention on that girl who seemed to always speak in English with her family and looked very cheerful and talkative all the time.

 

"Hello!"

She heard the voice again and being an introvert she was, her feet was stuck on the ground at the thought of greeting a stranger alone. So she called her mom who was at home, to get the door.

"Umma!"

She called out a few times but her mom unfortunately didn't seem to hear her. What's worse, the stranger girl just noticed her presence and addressed directly at her.

"Hey there! Can you open the door?"

 

Taeyeon gulped as the girl was looking straight at her. Having no choice and no help from her mom, she nervously got up and walked toward the fence. She opened the gate just a little and stuck only her head outside, to be greeted by a bright smile and a pair of crescent-moon-like eyes on a small face.

"Hi! I'm a new neighbour and my house is just next to yours. My name is Tiffany!" The girl said cheerfully, in not-so-fluent Korean but still understandable.

"Ti..pani??" Taeyeon tried to repeat the name.

"Nope, Tiffany."

Taeyeon blinked, "What...pani?"

Little Tiffany sighed cutely in defeat, "Just call me anything you're ok with. What's your name?"

"Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon."

"Ttae...yun... Your name is hard for me too. But I'll try! How old are you?"

The nervous little Taeyeon held up six fingers at Tiffany.

"6? I'm also 6! We're the same age! Actually I came to visit because I want to be friends with you. Can we?" Tiffany asked, her eyes twinkling in excitement.

"Oh?" Taeyeon was stunned at the sudden question. She barely knew her classmates and only had two friends at school. She enjoyed living in her own world most of the time, daydreaming and sometimes drawing whatever comes to her mind. Actually, the girl named Tiffany in front of her looked like a nice and sweet girl but she just felt too timid to make a new friend, an energetic and straightforward one on top of this.

So she mumbled instead, "With me? Why?"

The big smile on Tiffany's face was wiped away by those words from Taeyeon who had a poker face.

"You don't want to be friends with me?" Tiffany asked with a sad pout.

"Huh?" That was all Taeyeon could mutter and no other words came out. Blame on her brain which was barely even registering anything and seemed to have frozen.

The silence from Taeyeon made Tiffany become sadder. No one ever didn't want to be friends with her and everyone well-liked her back in the States. She was one of the favourites of her friends and teachers. Tears formed in her eyes and she started sobbing.

Taeyeon was shocked beyond words at the sight of the sobbing girl and stared at her with wide eyes, not knowing what to do. Lucky was an understatement when her saviour slash her mother came running after noticing them.

"Hey kid, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Oh, aren't you the kid next to us?"

"Ttaeyun doesn't want to be friends with me," Tiffany said in between sobs and Mrs. Kim glared at her daughter.

Taeyeon waved her hands in denial, "No, umma! It's not like that!"

Understanding her daughter well, the mother just pat the little girl's back in a comforting manner.

"It's just a misunderstanding, baby girl. Look how sweet you are! Of course our Taetae wants to be friends with you. She's just very shy around strange

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter