Chapter 5

Eleanor And Park

ELEANOR

Starbucks is cool. The essence of coffee beans is what Eleanor loves the most. Starbucks is never so empty like today. There were red candles and red balloons everywhere for a special occasion (A guy is going to propose a girl he loves). He has booked the café for an hour. Ed Sheeran's songs were playing on a low note (The girl loves his songs). Eleanor was alone; all her colleagues were out 'cause there wasn't much work to do. On the main wall there were letter balloons which read 'Be mine?' All this made her anxious. She yearned to see what will happen. She walked around the café adjusting the candles to calm herself down. She thought of setting up the table for them. So, she covered the table with a red satin cloth and placed the chair on either side of the table. She took a candle stand and with three candles on it and placed it on the middle of the table. She has made a thank you card for them so she kept it beside the stand when a boy came inside. He was tall and dark with a nice built body. She thought it must be that guy. She welcomed him and led him to the table. She asked him if everything was okay or any corrections need to be done.

He nodded while looking around.

"Where is your girl?"

"She'll come soon."

She asked him to sit on the table until she came. Half an hour passed but no one came. Eleanor felt sorry for him. She went to him to ask for coffee.

"I'll have a hazelnut latte"

She smiled and nodded. She started making it still looking at door. The machine beeped. She served him the order. 

The girl didn't come. 

PARK

The school will start tomorrow. He had been selected for University of Nebraska. Park was excited; he would go there by car. 

He woke up early and got dressed. He wore white tee which read 'Where is the party tonight?' and dark denim jeans. Park had breakfast. He grabbed the car keys and went outside. On the corner of the street was one girl who looked familiar. He stopped the car to see it was Lydia. He waved hi to her.

"Where are you going?"

"I am going to college."

"Where?"

"University of Nebraska"

"I am going there too. Would mind going with me?"

She nodded.

Park came out the car to open the door for her. She sat in saying thank you. Park climbed the driver's seat and started the car. He drove in silence.

"Wanna hear some songs? I have got cassettes."

"I would listen to radio."

He the radio. 'Your love is my drug 'was playing. Park smiled. Lydia shrugged.

ELEANOR 

Past that one booked hour Starbucks was busy. Eleanor had forgotten about what happened until an Indian couple came in. The boy knelt down with a ring box in one hand. He opened it with his another hand. He took a deep breath.

"Maitreyi, I fell in love with your beauty, but soon I realized your soul was even prettier. They way you pull me out of every bad situation. You are the driving force behind who I am today. I don't know what I'll do if I let you go today. I want to hold your now and for ever. I never thought that I could love this hard. Oh my god! Maitreyi, will you marry me?

The girl was all in tears. She held out her right hand in front of him and mouthed 'Yes'.

Everyone was in tears. Eleanor clapped before everyone. 

While going back home she thought what a nice proposal it was. She spun in front of the door of her uncle's house. She found a small white box on the ground. She picked it up. Her name was written on it. She opened it and found a comic of Watchmen. She smiled. 

"Thank you, Park for this."