Chapter 6

Eleanor And Park

PARK

He was sitting on the steps of the house feeling gloomy about nothing. A cool breeze blew his hair. He winced. Sadness is sometimes an unwanted guest. His phone chimed. (He got his phone recently)

"Hey, cheesecakes! It's Lydia"

"Hello"

"I see that sadness is making your face look bad. Want me to come over?"

"Yes. For sure."

After a while Lydia jumped in front of him. Park laughed.

"What is this now?"

Lydia pulled his hand to make him stand.

"I don't have much time to talk. We are going over to my house. It's a party tonight. Your mom's already informed."

She dragged him to her house. It was all dark inside. Park could not see anything. Lydia took him to her room. The room was aesthetic. Everything was green. There were green curtains which hung in front of her window. A green king sized bed. Over the bed were Lydia's photographs from her childhood clipped to a thread. She looked cute in those. Over the right, along the window was her green desk having notes lying over it and a cute little lamp; that too green. She sat on the bed.

"You like in here?"

"Yeah, but where is everyone else?"

"Everyone is here" she said pointing to him and then to her.

Park sighed. Lydia looked down at her nails.

"Park, I-I know this is real quick; I like you. I don't force you to like me but I really do."

She stood up to come to him. She held his face in both her hands. 

"I am sorry if I her hurt you, cheesecakes."

She hugged him. Park has missed this touch of love for a long time. He couldn't help to hug her back. 

ELEANOR

She was walking in the streets. She saw the same guy from the booked hour. She couldn't resist to ask.

"Hey, I'm Eleanor. The one back from Starbucks. I am sorry to interfere in your personal matters, but did the girl come later?"

The boy half smiled looking into her eyes. "Yes, she did."

Eleanor nodded and went back home. Her aunt was in the kitchen making dinner. She went there and stood behind her.

"I am really sorry for bothering you for a few months. I guess I am going to Omaha to meet mom. I have saved enough money to pay the rent of bus"

Her aunt said she would book her tickets and consoled her that she was not by any chance a burden on them. 

PARK

Park was in bed ready to sleep when his phone chimed. It was Lydia.

"Tonight was the best night ever. Thanks for everything. Hope I'll see you soon."

"Mine too."

He got out of bed. And crept out of the house. He ran to Lydia's room. Her window was right in front of the big tree in their garden. He climbed it and knocked on her window. She came to open it.

"What do you think you are doing here?"

He climbed in the room.

"I guess you wanted to see me soon and who waits for the morning." He tapped on her nose.

Lydia smiled. She ran to hug him. 

"You are so sweet. I love you, really."

"Awww, honey. Why won't I like you back."

Park kissed her forehead. 

"Date tomorrow?"

"Hell, yes!"

ELEANOR

She was in the bus excited to go to Omaha and see her mom, siblings and Park. After hours of travelling she finally got to Omaha. She went to her house and knocked the door. She was surprised to find another lady in the house. 

"I came here to meet my mom."

"Oh, that poor lady. Her husband abandoned her. She lives the next door now."

Eleanor started crying. She couldn't hold her body and fell on the ground. The lady got hold of her. Eleanor rushed to the next door. She saw Maisie on the steps. She rushed towards her.

"Where is mom? How are you all? Why didn't you call me?"

"Richie beat mom. He left us." She started crying so did Eleanor. Eleanor hugged her and patted on her.

"It's going to be alright."

"I missed you so much. Mom works in a restaurant nearby. I'll take you there."

Maisie took Eleanor to a restaurant four blocks away. Eleanor opened the door and began to find her mom. What she saw was heartbreaking. It was Park dining with a girl. She thought it must be a friend until he held her hand to kiss it. Eleanor rushed out of the restaurant crying.