Big Changes

Can You Keep a Secret?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Minjeong grabbed some popcorn from the kitchen and sat back down in the living room. She set the TV ready for her sleepover date with Ning Ning.

 

Ning Ning is Minjeong’s only friend, they met a few years ago in a business meeting between their parents. Of course, they both sat at the children’s table with some of the other kids.

 

At first they hated each other because they both had a crush on the waitress. Days later, they were both heartbroken when they learned that the pretty waitress already had a boyfriend. They had a truce and became close friends ever since then.

 

But that was soon going to end because Ning Ning was going to move to SMU in a few days. Minjeong applied to the university with Ning Ning, but then had to take back her application once her mother find out.

 

Her mother always saw Minjeong as the same little girl who would smile with her little chubby cheeks. The thought of her only child being away from her brought some fear and anxiety for the older lady.

 

Of course, after Minjeong took back her application she started the silent war with her mother. Her father was completely neutral in all of this but was slightly on Minjeong’s side. He promised his daughter that he would try to speak to her and change her mind.

 

Its been a few weeks now and the silent war has not ended. Every time the family gathered together to eat it was so silent that their maid was scared to make any noise.

 

“The lasagna is really good, right?” Mr. Kim said, trying to lighten up the mood.

 

Unfortunately, he was seated right between two very stubborn women. All he got was a slight nod from Minjeong, while his wife totally ignored his question.

 

“Thank you for the food. Also, Ning is going to come soon and stay the night here.” Minjeong said quietly, putting her plate in the sink and walking back to her room.

 

“Don’t you think you’re being a bit harsh?” Mr. Kim asked.

 

“How? Just because I want our daughter to be safe.”

 

“Keeping her closed off from the rest of the world sounds more dangerous to me.”

 

“What do you reckon? We actually send her to SMU, and have her live by herself. Not on my watch.”

 

“We could talk with Ning Ning’s parents and rent an apartment for both of them. Plus, I think she’s at the age where she should be around people her age.”

 

“Well that is true…”

 

“Just think about it for now. I want her to be safe too, but locking her up in our home is not the right way to do it.” Said Mr. Kim, leaving Mrs. Kim with her thoughts in the kitchen table.

 

Minjeong was in the living room when she heard the doorbell ring. She jumped from the sofa and unlocked the door for her friend.

 

“AHHHHH bestie! I missed you!” Ning Ning pulled Minjeong into a tight hug.

 

“I missed you too! How was your trip to Italy?”

 

“It was sooo good! The beaches, the stores, and the women were all top tier! You should’ve came with me.”

 

“I would’ve just ruined the mood.”

 

“Don’t say that, you would never ruin the mood. Are you and your mom still not on talking terms?” Ning Ning asked

 

“Ugh, don’t bring that up right now.” Minjeong grabbed the remote switching from Netflix to Disney. “I wish my parents gave me more freedom like yours.”

 

“I kinda understand where they’re coming from. You are their only the child, literally the heiress of Kwangya Airlines.”

 

“But you’re an only child too!”

 

“Yeah and I’ve been on my own since I was young. You on the other hand have never been away from your family.”

 

“And that’s exactly why I wanted to go to SMU.” Minjeong muttered.

 

“Hey! Let’s not fret over that. Should we watch the Princess Diaries or Booksmart?”

 

“Booksmart!”

 

The two girls stayed up all night watching different movies. They were passed out on the couch when Mrs. Kim went downstairs to check on them.

 

She tucked them into their blanket, and lightly brushed Minjeong’s hair. Letting out a soft sigh, she made her final decision.

 

It was bright and sunny in the morning. The birds chirping away along the skies. Minjeong groaned when she felt someone shake her body.

 

She heard someone say, “Come on, wake up.”

 

The sleepy girl tried her best to ignore the morning calls, until the scent of chocolate pancakes hit her nose.

 

She slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was her parents smiling at her. Not forgetting about her silent war she huffed lightly and ignored their presence as she went to her room.

 

“Wash up and come to the kitchen. We have some news for you, kiddo.” Mr. Kim said.

 

Once she was done with her morning routine she went to kitchen, and saw her parents sit directly across from her seat. It almost felt like she was in a business meeting.

 

Their maid gave everyone their plate of pan

Please log in to read the full chapter