Day One

Heist of a Lifetime

 

Incheon, 6 p.m

The sun is still up, trying its hardest to shine its light on every corner of the city that can be reached. In an hour or so, it would eventually have to surrender its reign.

A young woman strolls out of one of the many skyscrapers in the city of Incheon. That woman is Krystal Jung, an accountant in her late 20s, leaving her workplace for the day. Just like any other day, Krystal takes a walk through Songdo Central Park on her way home, with only her briefcase bag by her side.

While walking through the same route she usually takes, Krystal notices a street magician performing in front of a small audience. And to her surprise, the magician notices her too. The magician waves her hand towards Krystal, signalling for her to come closer.

Now that she is standing right in front of the magician, she can make out that the magician is a woman who appears to be only a few years younger than her. Instead of the usual black and white suit that is usually associated with magicians, this young girl seems content with wearing a casual attire: a tucked-in yellow t-shirt with blue jeans.

The magician proceeds to perform a trick with Krystal as her test subject. It is merely a simple one—nothing Krystal has not seen before—where a coin is placed in her right hand before she is told to close both of her hands. With a snap of the magician's fingers, the coin is then magically transported to Krystal's left hand when she opens both of her hands.

The small crowd seems to be entertained by that, as they clap in amusement. Krystal's hand is pulled for a handshake, and the magician is tapping her on the arm at the same time. As Krystal had seen the magic trick before, she is not actually impressed, but she conjures up a fake smile anyway. The magician and she go their separate ways, and the crowd disperses soon after.

Returning to her usual route, Krystal spots a homeless man sitting on the grass, accompanied by a malnourished-looking dog. She was going to keep on walking, but she feels as though the dog's glowing eyes are begging for her help. It must have been days since its last meal. That is why she finds herself reaching into her coat pocket with the intention of handing some cash to the homeless man. Only one problem though—her wallet is nowhere to be found. She checks her other pocket, and it turns out that her phone has also disappeared. There can only be one explanation: the magician must have taken her belongings while performing that mediocre trick.

She turns around, trying to look for the magician, or more accurately, the pickpocket. She spots the magician not too far away, talking to a man who could possibly be her next target.

Even before Krystal could plan her next move, the magician notices that Krystal is staring right at her, which prompts her to start running. The magician runs off the park trail and through the grassy plain. Even though the magician had a head start, it did not take long for Krystal to catch up to her. The chase ensues through the park while occasionally the two of them bump into other parkgoers in their path.

The magician manages to dodge around a woman who is lying on the ground doing yoga, but Krystal uses her acrobatic skills and jumps above the woman. Thanks to her split-second decision-making, Krystal finds herself within an arm's length of the magician. She figures that this is her opportunity to tackle that pickpocket, putting an end to the chase for good.

Then disaster strikes. A cyclist barges into Krystal, and they both fall to the ground. She immediately gets up to continue the chase, but all she can feel is pain as she presses her left foot against the ground. She drops to the ground once more, thinking that she must have sprained her ankle as a result of the collision. The cyclist shouts at her before getting on his bicycle and continuing to cycle. As the pickpocket sprints away from her, Krystal can do nothing except rub her ankle.

"God damn it." Krystal screams to herself while slowly dragging her foot towards a bench.

--

Krystal finally reaches home around 8:30 p.m. She just got back from a clinic where she received some medication to ease the pain in her left ankle.

She gets out of the apartment's elevator and walks to her apartment unit at a slow pace. She takes her keys out of her bag, only to see that her apartment door is already wide open. Krystal pulls out a pepper spray just in case there are any intruders inside her home. With a pepper spray in her right hand, she carefully threads inside.

"Ah, you're finally home!" An all too familiar voice echoes through the house. Krystal turns to her right, the same direction the voice came from, and spots a man's silhouette facing her.

Just as Krystal is about to aim the spray in the man's face, her arm is grabbed.

"Woah now, that's no way to treat a guest." The man said as he slowly pushed her arm away from his face.

At that moment, Krystal realises that that is not just any random intruder. It is her ex-boyfriend, G-Dragon.

--

"What the hell were you doing in my house?" Krystal puts her cup of coffee on the kitchen bar. G-Dragon is sitting on the couch, browsing through channels on the television.

"A new score has just opened up," G-Dragon gently tosses the TV remote beside him, "if you even remember what those words mean."

Krystal has left the life of crime for almost three years now. She was one of the best heist planners back in the day. These days, she is content with her new life as an honest working woman.

"I don't do that anymore; you know this." Krystal takes the last sip of her coffee and places the empty cup in the sink.

G-Dragon gets up and stands near Krystal on the opposite side of the kitchen bar. "Just a simple score. We'll go to Songwol-dong Fairy Tale Village and break into their vault."

"That's it? You wanna rob a freaking tourist attraction?" Krystal throws a jig at her ex-boyfriend.

As G-Dragon and her were used to completing heists at much more secure and highly guarded places, this score looks like something for amateurs.

"Plus, I'm not interested. Especially after what you did to me the last time we worked together."

During their last heist together, things did not go according to plan. G-Dragon accidentally set off a silent alarm, which alerted the authorities. Krystal was arrested, and G-Dragon abandoned her for dead in order to save himself. Luckily, Krystal managed to escape before the police truck reached the station, and she decided to start a new life.

"I'm sorry for what I did. This score would be my way of making it up to you." G-Dragon slowly grabs Krystal's hands.

Krystal pulls her hands away and points towards the door. "Leave. Now."

Even though he is visibly disappointed, G-Dragon respects her wish. He walks toward the exit but suddenly stops halfway through.

"I left the heist plans on your desk, in case you change your mind." G-Dragon said before leaving the house, shutting the door on his way out.

Krystal cannot be bothered to check out the plans. Instead, she sits in front of her TV while scrolling through social media on her laptop at the same time. An hour later, just as she begins to feel sleepy, she sees an Instagram post that piques her curiosity.

It is a post by a tabloid that Krystal has been following for a while. It states that an American billionaire, who is also the renowned owner of an ancient green emerald, is in South Korea at the moment of writing. But what truly catches her attention is the fact that the billionaire will be visiting tourist attractions in Incheon in the upcoming week. It is part of a tourism event, and the Instagram post also mentions the dates and venues for the event.

Krystal immediately makes her way to her desk and starts going through the plans that G-Dragon has left for her. Ironically, the proposed date for the heist at Songwol-dong Fairy Tale Village coincides with the American billionaire's visit there.

"GD is definitely after that emerald!"

Her eyes light up. An idea pops up in her mind. This is her chance to take revenge on G-Dragon for what he has done to her.

Krystal lays out the entire heist plan on her desk. The supposed target is the tourist attraction's vault, but that is not what she or even G-Dragon are after.

She is going to steal the green emerald.