And So It Begins

Heist of a Lifetime

 

Two days had passed since the day Krystal was finally reunited with G-Dragon. Although their meeting did not last all that long, Krystal knew more than enough about the heist that G-Dragon was planning.

After conducting her own research, Krystal found out that the American billionaire whom she was planning to rob would bring the green emerald with him to Songwol-dong Fairy Tale Village. This was based on an intel that she had gained from an old associate of hers. The billionaire's plan was to go to the village before heading to a black-market auction and sell the green emerald.

As the heist would not take place until four days later, Krystal went to work as she would on any other working day. Just as she walked out of her office building, she saw a familiar face walking just down the street.

It was the street magician that had stolen her phone and wallet couple days ago, carrying a plastic bag. What are the odds, Krystal mumbled to herself. She then decided that it was best to tail the magician as her ankle has not fully recovered yet; attempting another full-blown chase would be unwise.

Krystal maintained her distance as she followed the magician for quite a while. The two of them walked from one city block to the other. After nearly ten minutes of walking, the magician got onto a bus.

Krystal tried to cover her face as she got on the bus and looked for a seat. She found an available seat and sat two rows behind the magician. She was safe for now as the magician did not seem to recognise her.

The bus then began to move along its normal route. Krystal played with a new phone that she had bought while glancing up once in a while to check on the magician. Fifteen minutes later, the bus reached downtown Incheon. The magician got off the bus and Krystal followed suit.

The two of them strolled into a run-down apartment that looked completely different compared to Krystal's luxurious apartment near the city centre. The magician went up the stairs towards the third floor. Krystal was quick to follow her.

The magician entered her house while Krystal ducked outside the window. She took a peek into the house; the entire unit was the same size as only her living room. Krystal saw three little girls playing among themselves and an old woman lying on a mattress in front of an old box television.

"Ma I'm back" The magician takes her shoes off as she walked inside.

One of the three little girls invited her to play with them. She put her plastic bag down and was just about to join them when she was suddenly called by the old woman, presumably her mother.

"Rosé, can you run the store and grab a packet of rice please?" The old woman speaks softly while lifting her head to look at the magician. She looked like she was bedridden, most likely paralysed from the neck down.

"Could've told me that before I went out to the pharmacy ma." Rosé looks agitated but complied regardless.

She walked towards the tv and picked up a tin cracker box right beside it. She pulled out a small amount of money from the box before putting it back down. After that, she put her shoes on to head out again.

"Get me a pack of gum while you're there, Rosé." Krystal utters right as Rosé shuts the door on her way out.

Krystal's words certainly shocked Rosé, who accidentally dropped her keys as she stared at Krystal in disbelief. Krystal picked the keys up and handed them back to Rosé.

"How did you-" Rosé stutters as she tries to speak to Krystal.

"Gotta be careful who you steal from next time," Krystal walks closer towards Rosé. "Now give me back my phone and my wallet."

Rosé took out a wallet and handed it to Krystal. And surprise surprise, all the money that was in it is now gone. Before Krystal managed to say another word, Rosé put her hands together as a sign of apologising.

"I've sold the phone and used the money for my mother's medication." Rosé bows down to Krystal while her hands are still together.

After seeing Rosé's living condition, Krystal could understand why Rosé had to do what she did. Krystal places her hand on Rosé's shoulder and said, "It's alright. I forgive you."

Rosè's eyes were starting to fill up with tears which proved that her apologies were genuine. Then, at that moment, an idea came to Krystal's mind. She took her hand off Rosé's shoulder as she began to smile.

"I have a job for you, if you're interested." Krystal said with the same smile.

Rosé wiped the tears that were running down her cheeks and stared right back at Krystal. "What kind of job?"

"Let’s just say-" Krystal paused, thinking of words to say. "It's a job that requires a particular set of skills."

Even though Krystal was not done with her explanation, Rosé was fully prepared to accept the offer.

--

Songwol-dong Fairy Tale Village, one day to the heist

A tall, muscular man casually strolled down the street of Incheon. He was well dressed, rocking a tailor-made suit along with a tie. With a sunglass on his face and a cup of Starbucks coffee in his hand, he approached Krystal and Rosé.

"Fashionably late, as usual" Krystal said before reaching out to the man for a hug.

"If it isn't the thief herself, Krystal Jung," The man gives Krystal a hug. "Couldn't believe my ears when you said that you're back in the game!"

Krystal shrugged, before realising that Rosé was looking at her all clueless. "Rosé, this is Hyun Bin. He's gonna join our little crew as the brawn of the operation."

Rosé and Hyun Bin shake hands, then Krystal adds, "Hyun Bin, this is Rosé. She's gonna be our conman, a good one hopefully."

After a round of pleasantries, Krystal instructed Rosé and Hyun Bin to walk with her as they tried to get a better understanding of the village's layout. While they were walking, Hyun Bin slowly pulled Krystal back.

"Not trying to be rude but this little girl is joining the heist. How did you even meet her?" Hyun Bin points at Rosé with doubt on his face.

"Met her few days back. She stole my wallet and my phone." Krystal looking unbothered, speaks with a low voice while studying the nearby buildings.

Hyun Bin grabbed Krystal's arm as they both came to a halt. "A freaking pickpocket? Is she even good at it? How do you know that we can trust her?"

Krystal pulled her arm away from Hyun Bin and carried on walking. She turned her head back at Hyun Bin, "Just trust me on this."

Although he was annoyed, Hyun Bin let out a small sigh before catching up to those two women. Looked like he just had to put his faith in Krystal on this one.

Once they were done scouting the entire place, the three of them sat around a table. Krystal took a moment to come up with a plan, and after a moment, she began to lay it out.

"Look, you see a bunch of people over there?" Krystal points up the street, to the main entrance of the village. A group of staff wearing bright orange vest are busy setting up banners for the event on the next day. "Our target will enter from there and most likely will get down from his car exactly where we're sitting."

"Then his driver will have to go hear, a secluded parking spot specially for VIPs." Krystal lays out a blueprint and starts pointing at locations on it.

"How are we supposed to get in there unnoticed?" Hyun Bin interrupts but Krystal already has it all figured out.

"The building in front of the parking spot is open for visitors. We can sneak in from there."

Krystal takes a sip of Hyun Bin's now cold coffee before proceeding with her explanation. What the- Hyun Bin quietly mumbles while Rosé snickers looking at the interaction.

"Rosé and I will take the emerald from the car while you, Hyun Bin, keep a lookout." Krystal maintains eye contact with Hyun Bin as she takes the last sip of the coffee.

Hyun Bin and Rosé nodded as a sign of agreement. Now that everyone has been filled up on the plan, they all began to head home to prepare.

--

Songwol-dong Fairy Tale Village, the day of the heist

As expected, the American billionaire arrived at the village. Few minutes later than scheduled, but there he was. He got off at the same spot as Krystal had predicted and his driver brought the car to the VIP parking spot.

However, the billionaire arrived with two black SUV instead of one. Hyun Bin noticed that and immediately raised his concern to Krystal.

"So, he brought a decoy," Krystal shrugs, trying to play it down. "We'll search for the emerald in the car that the billionaire had gotten off first."

They made their move towards the building in front of the parking area. Krystal and Rosé snuck through the back door while Hyun Bin waited right beside the door.

The two SUV has already been parked facing the opposite direction of the building. The driver of the decoy car then got out, locked the car, and lit up a cigarette few meters away.

Rosé took out a map and began approaching the other driver that was still sitting comfortably in the billionaire's ride.

"Excuse me sir, I'm kinda lost. Do you know how I can get to this particular building?" Rosé kept the driver occupied while Krystal made her move.

Krystal took out her lock picks and started to pry the trunk open. A little jiggle here and there, and voila, she managed to unlock the trunk. She lifted the trunk door a bit before taking a look inside. But to her surprise, it was totally empty.

Krystal tried to look for any hidden compartment but unfortunately there was not any. She closed the trunk door and carefully signalled to Rosé that the emerald was not in that car's trunk.

She took a short glance into the other SUV and there it was. A suspicious grey metal briefcase was just lying under the driver's seat.

Rosé noticed that Krystal was staring at the car next to them and she immediately understood what was going on. As Krystal sneaked away, Rosé thanked the driver and followed Krystal's lead.

"While I distract him, you take his key and sneak into the car." Krystal points at the other driver that was busy enjoying his cigarette. "Take the briefcase under the driver's seat. Can you do that?"

Rosé immediately nods, confident with her skills. "Yes boss, don't you worry bout a thing."

Krystal walked up to the driver and struck up a conversation. She asked for a piece of cigarette and the driver instantly handed her one. Just as he began to check Krystal out, Rosé casually walked behind the driver and slowly slid her hand into his pocket. She pulled out the car key and walked away.

Krystal was awestruck by that, but she continued chatting with the driver to keep him occupied.

Rosé ducked behind the first car to make sure that the other driver could not spot her. The driver inside the car was wearing earphones, presumably listening to music while waiting for his boss. Rosé took this opportunity to press the unlock button on the car key.

The SUV let out a little beep but both drivers, one jamming to a song and the other trying to hit on Krystal, did not hear the sound. Rosé opened the car door, took the briefcase, and closed the door right after she got out. She then threw the key right beside the SUV, so that the driver might think that he must had accidentally dropped the key on his way out.

While hiding the briefcase under her shirt, Rosé headed back into the building. Krystal took a little longer as she finished her cigarette to not raise any suspicions. She was just about to walk away when she was stopped by the driver she was chatting to.

"Hey..." The driver takes out a piece of card and hands it to Krystal. "Call me."

Krystal awkwardly laughed as she took the card and left straight away. She entered the building calmly walked towards the front door. Hyun Bin and Rosé followed suit, with the briefcase now in their possession.

The three of them walked into an alley nearby to the parking spot and that is where they stopped. Krystal took out her lock picks once again and knelt down in front of Rosé, who was holding the briefcase. Just as she placed a piece of her lock pick into the keyhole, Hyun Bin snatched the briefcase away.

"Allow me." Hyun Bin takes out a knife from his pocket and shoves it into the lock.

He forced the knife into the keyhole and click, the lock was broken. He opened the briefcase up and glowing inside was an ancient green emerald. All three of them stared at it and occasionally at each other.

"Now that is something worth stealing," Krystal takes the emerald out from the briefcase and carefully places it inside Hyun Bin's leather sling bag. "There's an appraisal store not too far from here. We'll get a price assessment there and I'll look for a buyer."

Krystal led the way as Hyun Bin and Rosé walked right behind her. Although they had just been acquainted, Rosé enthusiastically told Hyun Bin about the things that had happened whilst Krystal and her was stealing the emerald.

The three of them walked through the village and turned a corner right down the road. Then, Krystal bumped into a person that she was definitely hoping not to.

It was G-Dragon, who was just as surprised, staring dead into her eyes.