3/?

The Unbroken Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Donghae enters the gym, it is absolutely silent in there. It's past the open hours now, for the clock has already gone over midnight, and Wonho has long since locked up the gym before leaving for the night. It's a Saturday so he's obviously out enjoying himself, something that Donghae obviously knows. 

 

But that's a perk of being close friends with the gym owner. He has an extra key and is always welcome to drop in for a work out before opening or after closing time. 

 

However, ten minutes into a very furious workout, he hears the gym doors behind him open and spots the owner looking extremely concerned and worried.

 

Wonho knows that Donghae is angry. Not just angry, he's absolutely furious. Wonho has been Donghae's gym trainer and a close friend of his for almost six years now and having spent a lot of his free time hanging out with his hyung, he is now aware of what Donghae's mood might be depending on how he's doing his workout. 

 

So earlier, when Wonho spots Donghae going at the machines as wildly as he can on the security cameras, while he himself is out drinking with his friends, Wonho knowd he has to step in and stop him before the man injures himself. 

 

"Hey, hey, hey, hyung, you really need to calm yourself down, we don't want you to fracture a bone or pull a ligament or tear a muscle," Wonho says softly, as he rushes towards Donghae and grabs the bar bells from his hands, bringing Donghae to an abrupt stop, who has started huffing and puffing by now. 

 

Donghae shakes his head furiously as Wonho notices the tears b in the older man's eyes, "Don't stop me Wonho, not today."

 

Wonho carefully sets aside the bar bells

and squats down on his knees next to Donghae.

 

"Hyung? You NEED to be careful. I know you're probably angry at something, although I don't know what it is, but it doesn't mean that you can just abuse your own body right? Instead of doing this, why don't we go sit down somewhere quiet and talk about it like two grown adults would?" 

 

Despite all rationality having flown out the window since the moment Donghae laid eyes on Hyukjae earlier that evening, Donghae gives a small nod as he reaches out for a towel next to him to wipe the sweat off his face and neck. 

 

A few minutes later, Donghae finds himself in an isolated booth in one of the crappy bars in town, close to the cafe by the gym, a place that Donghae likes to get his coffee from every time he's visiting town.

 

Wonho sits across Donghae, staring at him, waiting for him to start talking. 

 

Donghae is eager to talk, to share everything about what happened, but he has no idea where to begin.

 

It's not as if Wonho doesn't know, because yes, he knows everything. It's the fact that Donghae had never envisioned a day in the future where Hyukjae would return and ask for his explanation (or excuse, really) to be heard and that Donghae would have to talk about it with Wonho.

 

"So he's back? And he wants you to hear his explanation about why he dumped you and vanished all those years ago?" Wonho asks, sipping on his iced latte silently, staring out the window.

 

Donghae nods, a sad smile on his face, "He looked as if his explanation would set everything right. As if his words would sweep the years of hurt and betrayal under the rug like they didn't even happen."

 

Wonho contemplates for a minute before answering, "I know it's a long shot hyung but WHAT IF? What if his explanation does make sense? Then what? Because if you don't listen to him now, and find things out later, who knows you might regret it for the rest of your life?”

 

Donghae hangs his head low as he fiddles with the cover of his phone, "I don't know if I'm ready to listen to him yet. or even see him. I thought I was over him Wonho. All these years of absolutely zero contact and I thought my feelings didn't exist anymore but the door opens and he walks in and it's like I'm back in college and he owns my heart and he's about to crush it in the palm of his hand all over again. I don't know if I have the strength to face him. Not yet."

 

There is a pained expression on Donghae's face as if he's trying to fight between his rational thoughts and his desires to approach his childhood love once again. 

 

Wonho nods, well aware of what Donghae means.

"I know that hyung. When I met you six years ago, you were still hurting. You were recovering from the emotional wounds. But you lived through that hard time too. You channeled your hurt elsewhere, in your music, in your workouts, in your philanthropy. And I think even now, you'll be able to do the same. So try. Give him a chance and listen to him. Meet him at a cafe just like this so you're not alone. I'll come with you if you want to, and sit somewhere close by in case things go awry. But give him a chance. All these years he didn't ask for one but now that he has, give him one"

 

Donghae looks up at Wonho and smiles, "When did you become so wise huh?" 

 

Wonho softly smiles back at him, "Hyung I did tell you I'm a beauty with brains. This muscle mass doesn't mean I don't have any brain mass. So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter