Entering the Baker House

Spring, Love & Cherry Blossoms
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ Doyoung's POV ]

I decided to grab some bread at the local bakery a few meters away from school. I didn't eat breakfast at home because my mother hasn't prepared anything for us since she was too busy working on a case. My parents are both professionals. My mom's a lawyer and my dad's a surgeon. Being part of this household is sometimes good, but most of the time suffocating. The only thing that I could understand here was my brother, but he too, became busy ever since he became a member of the student council this year.

The local bakery sells the best croissant and egg sandwiches I have ever tasted. So I always drop by to buy from them before heading to school. As I was standing in line to order, I noticed that Jungwoo was just in front of me too. I tapped his shoulder to get his attention since he was wearing headphones.

He turned and immediately pulled his headphones off, "Oh, Doyoung. Good morning Class President," He smiled warmly. "Are you buying bread too?"

I nodded. "Didn't expect you'd be here,"

"Right back at you-" He snickered.

While we were walking toward the entrance gate, Jungwoo spotted Junhee from afar.

"Isn't that Junhee?" He asked and I also looked to where he was pointing. "Ah, that must be her. She's early." He nodded to himself while munching on the cheese bread.

"Do you think she's mad at us?" I asked him. It has been weeks since Jun hasn't really talked to me. We may have small chats here and there but she grew more distant day by day.

"I thought the same thing too," Jungwoo replied, "But I noticed that she's quite struggling to have us lurking around her or something.."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Some of our classmates were talking about her. She has been the quiet one since elementary. Usually, an outcast."

"I don't think it's a problem," I shrugged.

"Me too, I guess we just have to give her time?" Jungwoo turned to me and smiled.

I spent the entire morning trying ways to approach Junhee but she seemed to be so good at avoiding interaction all this time. I could only watch her spend time all alone.

But I guessed I didn't run out of luck yet, I went to see my brother for lunch and headed back to our classroom. I spotted her by the garden solely staring at the bright blue sky. I always wondered why she kept staring at the sky all the time. I decided to go to her.

"Hi.." I greeted her, and she turned to me and dipped her head. "May I?"

"Yep," She nodded and scooted a bit to give me space to sit on the concrete bench. I looked up and realized that the bench was set directly under the tree and I could barely see the sky from there.

"I can't help but noticed that you'd always look up at the sky..."

"It's relaxing," She replied.

"Relaxing?"

"Yes, it helps me ignore my surroundings and focus on one thing alone." She added. This was the first time I heard her speak a sentence that long.

"I'm sorry.."

"For?" She asked finally looking at me.

"I thought you were mad at me," I told her.

"I should be apologizing instead," She replied.

"Why?"

"For being..awkward,"

I couldn't help but have a short burst of laughter from her response. "Cute," I said but totally regretted saying that when she looked at me with a surprised look.

But it took only a moment for us to fall silent again, June sighed and turned to me, "I'm glad that we talked.." She said. "Might as well talk to Jungwoo too,"

"June, I may not know what you've been through but I'm here, you can talk to me.." I finally said it.

".. Would you like to hang out this afternoon? At the Baker House..." She suddenly asked, totally making me confused. "Today.."

"The Baker House?" I asked and she nodded. The only Baker House I know was the old haunted house that was standing just behind the walls of our school. I've heard stories that the owner of the house committed suicide and has been haunting it since then.

"I'll ask Jungwoo, too. But you have to promise me that you tell no one about this," She said, Junhee became totally different from this and it scared me.

-

The teachers finally called it a day. I was walking my way to the locker room when Seolri popped right in front of me. "Why are you leaving so early? We have a meeting at the book club today,"

"Postpone it, please. I forgot I have plans," I said trying to get away.

"You said you have no plans that's why we chose to have it today," She insisted, this time she even spread her arms wide to totally block me from my way.

I stopped and took a deep breath, I was getting annoyed.

"If you could excuse me, I have to borrow Doyoung for today!" A hand suddenly grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back. It was Jungwoo.

It seemed that Seolri lost her words because of Jungwoo. She didn't say a word as I was being dragged by him out of the hallway. Soon, we found ourselves walking south, passing the alumni hall, and the newly built gasoline station. I got the feeling that we are heading to someplace interesting but thrilling.

"So, where is Jun?" I asked, it was quite awkward because, despite the small grin on his face, Jungwoo was awfully quiet. Totally different from what I usually see of him in the classroom, especially in front of Junhee.

"You don't know?" He asked back. I shrugged.

"Have you been to the Baker House?" I asked him again.

"Not really," He replied. "I just moved into this city earlier this year, so it's my first time."

"Really? Where are you from?" I asked.

"I'm from Shorefield,"

"Shorefield? That's pretty far," I commented. I don't why but it feels like I couldn't read into his mind because maybe it was the first to have this kind of time with him. Jungwoo is pretty

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter