ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

Blue Beetle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The orange-haired woman was becoming angrier and more frustrated with each attempted call that fell instantly into the voicemail at the first dial. The tiger keychain hanging on the edge of her pink flip phone kept moving from side to side, reflecting the impatience shown by Stephanie Hwang at this banal situation. Her fingers drummed on the slightly scratched bottom of the device as she waited for the seventh time for her call to be answered. 

An angry expression had been on the girl's face ever since she got off the green bus she always took to cross town. This time, however, her friend and sleeping assistant accompanied her to the next stop. Incoherent mutterings could be heard coming from Jessica Jung during most of the trip, capable of rudely interrupting any thought Tiffany might have. Except, of course, a random reflection on how it was possible for a human being to exist who could sleep soundly anywhere, regardless of the time and day. 

However, now that she was standing in front of the almost empty bus stop, with only the ominous trees of the Sonyeoshidae neighborhood as an audience, the redhead decided to put all her anger related to the inaccessible phone call out loud:

— I swear I'll kill a certain person when I get home. — She violently shook the cell phone in the air with each word, as if this exaggerated movement would emphasize how deep and dangerous her persistence could be. — And I'm not going to take any excuses for an answer this time. I've had enough of that. People think that just because I'm a redhead I have a vocation to be a clown.

— My dear Ti, put out the fire coming out of your pretty little head and look at me. — Brown eyes on fire stared at Jessica's famous icy face. Many did not know that it actually seemed to convey an imperturbable serenity rather than some sort of veiled mortal threat. — Relax, okay? It's just a silly phone call. You're getting angry for nothing. Just like that time our neighbor's dog peed on your shoe.  

— But, that was a big deal! — Tiffany spoke in a more than irritated tone as she pointed an accusing finger at her friend. — I had to throw out my pink all-star because that unbearable smell just wouldn't go away. And all because of whom, my dear airhead monk? 

— I didn't know it was going to pee just when I left the shoe rack in the hallway. That dog was a stowaway in that building, for God's sake. Honestly, I don't know how they didn't kick Mrs. Kang out back then.  

— She was the owner's wife, did you forget? — Her head shook in disapproval at Jessica's undeniable memory lapses that has already made her forget their equipment three times this week. — In any case, it isn't simply a useless phone call. This is a rule that should be followed by all of us so that bad things don't happen, like kidnapping or...

— Really, a rule? What is this rule that we never had when we lived together? I knew you were straitlaced, but not manic. — She said with her typical sarcastic tone and a smile spread across the reddened lips. — Which mental institution should I check into?

— I'm not in the mood for your little jokes, Jessie. Unfortunately, we are not in a 90's sitcom for every funny remark of yours to be accompanied by those annoying background laughs. 

— Stay cool, Ti. I'm just trying to put your mind at ease. No stress.  — Jessica rubbed the girl's shoulders gently to try to calm the raging fire. But she soon regretted it when her wrist was rudely grabbed by her friend's hand.  

— I know, but you haven't improved my mood today either. Or should I remind your immense laziness in helping me retouch the photo, our livelihood, Ms. Jung? — Her voice didn't hide the venom instilled in the accusatory intonation, evidenced tenfold by the judgmental expression fixed on her attractive face. That was enough for Jessica to put away any words of consolation that might yet emerge from her tongue. After all, it was true that Tiffany had done almost all the work for three long hours without any rest while she slep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter