UNFORESEEN EVENTS

Blue Beetle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were no words that could accurately describe the emotions felt by Lim Yoona at that moment. Something like a mixture of tremendous surprise with a youthful curiosity was the one that stood out the most in her troubled sea of feelings. As for her facial expression, on the other hand, one could already say with certainty that it showed complete disbelief at what she was seeing, as if the brightest and most colorful unicorn in the heavenly pastures were sitting on that couch. Unfortunately, this was not the case. 

The girl's dark eyes stared at a figure with brownish black hair dressed in a dark green jacket that oddly matched the striped shirt tucked underneath. "Stop being distracted by these things, this is no time to be thinking about clothes."  Thought Yoona as she tried to focus more on the apparition's face and less on that curious set of clothes it was wearing. 

— What's with your face, Yoo? You look as if you're seeing a ghost.  — Yuri said debauchedly as she stretched as exaggeratedly as possible on the old sofa, each movement of her being capable of generating a small jolt in it. — Wait a minute, I get it all! Do you think I was possessed by the ghost of your third grade neighbor, the one who liked to collect soda caps, and only remembered that there are no red beans in the pantry to get me out of here once and for all?

— What are you doing here? — Ignoring her colleague's long sarcastic comment, she repeated the question she had asked before, now with a harder tone: "God grant me the patience to put up with this theater every day. Nevertheless, it's still strange to see her here. She always arrives at dawn. She has no reason to be any different today, unless..."  Her brown eyebrows frowned at the haunting thought that suddenly occurred to her.

 Yoona had been sharing an apartment with Yuri for three years now, knowing from the moment they met how completely messed up the girl's schedule was. There was not a day when she arrived before giving precisely midnight on the pink kitten clock hanging near the kitchen. Yoona's shrewd eyes stared at it at that very moment as she awaited the long-awaited reply, "It's now 6:04 pm. How time passes!"  Echoed inside her head as she watched the mustache-shaped indicator point to those numbers.

— There was a little problem at work, so they let me go early. — These were the simple words that came out of Yuri's mouth, accompanied by a goofy smile that showed a perfect row of clean white teeth, her trademark.  

— Why didn't you say it before instead of wasting your saliva to tell that mediocre joke?  Here I am already thinking that you've been fired. — She let out a sigh of relief at the end of her sentence, earning a loud laugh from her friend in response. — Stop laughing. It's not funny.

— If you saw your face in the mirror, you'd think it was hilario

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter