Chapter 1: 5263

Until I Found You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning, South Korea, home of Samsung, T1 and of course, K-Pop.

You've finally arrived, after months of multiple applications and planning. Don't forget to mention the years of convincing or rather, arguing with your parents (your father mostly) to let you go and study abroad. Nonetheless, you're finally here.

You ride the subway, heading to your way too expensive rented apartment. You've tried to negotiate the price beforehand but with the language barrier it's been difficult to do much of anything with the price. It took you about an hour thirty on the train and another thirty minutes just trying to find someone with enough english knowledge to help you get to your apartment building. Nevertheless, you're finally here.

You contact your landlord and she goes down. You see an old lady, arrive down from the elevator. You promptly go up the doors which were locked due to your lack of a keycard. You thought to yourself  "Damn, I guess this is why rent is expensive, this is a nice apartment building".

She slots in her keycard from inside and the door opens. You greet her in your best impersonation of Korean, "Annyeonghaseyo, ajumeonim, cheonun Y/N-imnida" with a bow. She smiles and says "Annyeonghaseyo, you foreigner call for-uh apateu?". You smile at her effort on English and nod yes. She smiles back, hands you a keycard and points at the automatic door. "For door" she adds. You nod, bow and say "Kamsamnida".

She leads you to the elevator and tells you to tap the card on the scanner for the elevator. You tap and she presses the 12th floor. You land on said floor and she leads you to your apartment seeing that all the boxes of your stuff was already inside. You were about to ask about it but the old lady beats you to it "Its okay uh son of daughter help move" and you can't help but blush "omo omo" was all you can mutter along with thank yous and matching bows as well.

She waves you off and welcomes you in and you both enter the apartment which was roomier than the photos. It's nothing special but it's a one bedroom apartment a bit better than the other ones you looked at.

With that, you were going to give her the initial payment for the apartment when she gently pushes your hand back. She points to an envelope on top one of the boxes. You grab it and open. Inside was a letter from your father.

 

"To my Y/N,

I know we argued so much about you moving and studying there in South Korea. I just didn't want to miss you growing into a more mature man. It made me realize that for you to grow I need to let you go and grow on your own. Learn from your mistakes and sucesseses and that will give you all the things you need in life. As for the apartment, I paid for everything in advance. I know we agreed to you paying for everything there but I just can't help but want to help you. Plus, your mother kind of forced me to. Besides, I heard living there is pretty expensive. With all the bills you have to pay as well as school fees. Besides all that, just promise me to work twice as hard than you did here and just know if you ever need anything your mother and I will always be here.

With all the love in the world, Dad"

 

You tear up and look up to see the old lady watching your reaction. She says "Your parent love you very much". You smile at her attempt at english again. She reaches out and hugs you "You call me halmeoni, grandma in Korea" she says. You nod and you thank her once again. She breaks away and starts exiting the apartment. You reach out for her and grab 30,000 KRW from your payment and hand it to her. She refuses but you insist, "For your nephew helping with my boxes." you say in full English. She reluctantly accepts and exits your apartment.

You sigh and take a look around the apartment. You text your mom saying that you've arrived at the apartment but also thanking her and your dad for paying for the apartment to which she reponds with:

"What apartment?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter