Chapter 3: Her Smile

Teaching Miss Tomboy

“Okay, class. I’ll give you an assignment.” As teacher said that, all the students made a noise about it. “Be quite, be quite, everyone. I’ll divide you into group, each group has two members, each group has to go to different orphanage and make paper about your experience with the children.”

“Ya, Choi Minho, you have to be with me.” Myungsoo smacked Minho’s back from the behind lightly then Minho turned his head around. “She decides not you.”

The teacher began to write the students’ names on the whiteboard. Myungsoo hoped he would be with his best friend and not be with Amber.

‘Please, not Amber, not Amber, not Amber, not Amber, Minho, Minho, Minho, Minho, please…’ He prayed from the bottom of his heart

“Ah, as for Kim Myungsoo, because you’ve been sitting beside Amber for a week, I think you know her more than anyone else in this class, so, you’ll be with Amber for this assignment. Help her with Korean language too, okay?” The teacher smiled to him and he replied her with a weird smile.

==

“I really like children, so, I don’t want you to ruin my moment with the children with your cold attitude.” The D-day had come, Myungsoo went to the orphanage with Amber by his car.

“I told you before, I don’t wanna go with you, you can go by yourself.” She said without glancing to him

“I can’t do that because we’re in the same group, I don’t wanna get a bad grade because of you.”

As they arrived, They entered the orphanage. The sisters greeted them warmly, Myungsoo smiled brightly to them while Amber gave them a forced smile. When the sisters showed them the children, Myungsoo jumped excitingly seeing them. He approached them all happily and started to introduce himself to them

“Hi, my name is Kim Myungsoo, just call me Myungsoo, okay?” He smiled as waved his hands to them all. The children introduced themselves to Myungsoo too.

“I’ll leave you two with the children.” The sisters left Myungsoo with the children while Amber was still standing at the door.

“Myungsoo oppa, who is that?” One girl pointed her index finger to Amber who being quite

“Ah, she’s Amber Josephine. We’re in the same school.” Myungsoo smiled to the girl

“Why doesn’t she join us? She can play with us too.” A boy asked him

“Maybe because her Korean is still bad. She came from America, actually. Hey, follow my words, say ‘Amber, what’s up’ okay? 1, 2, 3.” Myungsoo taught them about English words of What’s Up to the children for calling Amber.

“AMBER, WHAT ‘S UP????” They shouted loudly then, laughed together with Myungsoo. “Hey, Amber, come here.” He said and Amber came to them lazily.

“Myungsoo oppa, is she your girlfriend?” One of the little girls asked him shyly

“Hahaha, she?? Of course not.” He smiled then, continued again. “Do you wanna be my girlfriend, sweety?”

Amber smacked his arm as glared. “What are you saying? She’s just a kid, ya know?”

“Why? Oh, are you jealous, Amber?” He naughtily then, she smirked. “Very funny Kim Myungsoo.”

“Myungsoo hyung is so handsome, don’t you think that, Amber noona?”

“See that? I’m handsome~” He praised himself as made handsome pose just like photo model in the magazines in front of Amber.

“It’s gross, you’re not that handsome.” She slapped his right cheek lightly

“Amber unnie is pretty too.”

“Awwww… Thank you so much, baby.” Suddenly, she blushed. Her cheeks became very red in front of them and she hugged that little girl tightly. “You’re so pretty too, you’re prettier than me.”

Looking at that scene, Myungsoo’s heart thumped. It was the first time for his life seeing Amber smiled brightly and being nice with the children.

“Unnie, oppa, let’s play.” A girl asked them to play

“What’s game?” Myungsoo asked

“Snow white drama, pleaseeee…. Amber unnie as the snow white while oppa as the charming prince.”

Myungsoo and Amber looked at each other’s face with weird eyes, they wanted to reject it but they were too cute to be rejected. So, they just followed what they said.

“Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Amber from far away palace. Everyone adored her and loved her so much including her seven dwarfs. There was a prince with white horse named Myungsoo who was falling in love with her but she rejected him because she thought that he wasn’t her type at all. In another place, living an ugly face grandma who was jealous over the beautiful Amber, she always asked the mirror about who the most beautiful woman in this world was but the answer was always Amber not her.  So, she decided to give her a poison by an apple, she came to Amber’s house when the dwarfs wasn’t with her then, she gave her the poisoned apple.” And blah, blah, blah. SKIP to the kissing scene part.

Amber napped on the table, Myungsoo looked at her who was closing her eyes. He didn’t know but he felt he had heart attack when he saw her. ‘She’s beautiful.’

“And the prince kissed her.” The narrator said but Myungsoo was still quite. “Prince kissed her.” Myungsoo wasn’t moving at all, Amber took a peek. “PRINCE KISSED HER!” Everyone shouted out loud and Myungsoo was shocked same as Amber until she opened her eyes widely

“Wah!! I’m waking up right now without a kiss from the prince.” Amber got up from her fake long slumber and it made the children disappoint even there were children who cried out loud because Amber woke up before Myungsoo gave her a kiss just like in the story.

“Amber, you ruin it.” He whispered in her ear. “What should I do?” She felt guilty and bit her bottom lip

He grabbed her arms, his head got closer to hers and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. She felt shocked, Myungsoo felt butterflies in his tummy, the children shouted happily.

==

“Goodbye, kids.” They both came home in the afternoon after played with the children from morning. The children were happy too same as the sisters who thanked them for accompanying and playing with the orphaned

Myungsoo helped Amber to get in his car then, drove away from the orphanage

“You spilled drink onto me, you pretended to fall when I was playing basketball and you stole my first kiss.” Amber said to Myungsoo who was in the concentrate mode driving his car safely

“Your first kiss?????” Myungsoo was shocked after hearing Amber’s statement about her first kiss

Then, Amber realized it, she thought she was stupid for telling him about it. “Uh, umm, I mean… Yaaa!! You have to apologize for everything that you did to me.”    

“Tsk! Hahaha…” He laughed out loud. “Why are you laughing at me?” She asked him innocently

“Alright, alright.. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry and I’m serious now. Do you forgive me?”

“Okay, if you’re serious.”

They arrived at Amber’s house, Myungsoo walked her until her door.

“Thanks for everything today, Myungsoo.”

He smiled seeing her smile. “You’re welcome.”

Amber turned around to enter the house but Myungsoo called her and grabbed her wrist. “Amber, wait.”

“What else?” She said coolly in her style

He whispered her. “You’re so beautiful today.” He smiled and went away from her. She was still staying frozen in front of the door as his words were replaying in her head and she smiled without her realization. As for Myungsoo, finally, he could see Amber in bright side, looking at her smile, it made him feel happy and calm especially, when he kissed her, he really enjoyed the kiss although Amber didn’t reciprocate his sudden kiss but today, maybe it was the new beginning for him to start liking her.